Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I called my local Toyota dealership and explain the issue over the phone. They want me to bring it in for an $85 inspection that will be credited toward future repairs if there's a problem. They stated that there are no recalls on this issue. The sound I have is more is a whining noise (wheeee wheeee), gradually increases and stops at around 45mph, no rattle or vibration, shifting is very smooth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK so I finally managed to get a recording of the noise. I know I said "high quality"... well, at least you can hear the noise fairly clearly.

I'm sure I could get a cleaner recording if anyone could benefit from it.

Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK so I finally managed to get a recording of the noise. I know I said "high quality"... well, at least you can hear the noise fairly clearly.

Many thanks.
Yep! Sounds familiar.

I stopped by a transmission shop today. I know the guy who runs the place. He had some of his mechanics lift he car and listen to the sound. He is almost certain that it's the transfer case (either the tranny or the 4wd). He indicated that he had recently worked on an 07 Rav4 and a Lexus, both with the same problem. He estimated the repair cost to be at around $1500 inclusive using used parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yep! Sounds familiar.

I stopped by a transmission shop today. I know the guy who runs the place. He had some of his mechanics lift he car and listen to the sound. He is almost certain that it's the transfer case (either the tranny or the 4wd). He indicated that he had recently worked on an 07 Rav4 and a Lexus, both with the same problem. He estimated the repair cost to be at around $1500 inclusive using used parts.
My car is FWD - does it have a transfer case?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
To answer my own question, yes it does. Just slid under and located it. I might try changing the oil first to see if that make a difference. Probably not.

Hmmm... looks like it's time to take it in to a mechanic and see what's what.

Hope you get your car sorted out mate!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
To answer my own question, yes it does. Just slid under and located it. I might try changing the oil first to see if that make a difference. Probably not.
Hmmm... looks like it's time to take it in to a mechanic and see what's what.
Hope you get your car sorted out mate!
If by "FWD", you mean Front Wheel Drive (as opposed to Four Wheel Drive), then no, your car does not have a transfer case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If by "FWD", you mean Front Wheel Drive (as opposed to Four Wheel Drive), then no, your car does not have a transfer case.
OK I admit I'm a bit confused now. In Australia, the 4WD models all have an "AWD" badge on the back. This car was sold to me by the owner as a FWD vehicle, with part time 4WD possible through locking diff, and has no such badge.

The vehicle absolutely does have a front and back diff (I've checked oil levels in both), and has a transfer case (seen it with my own eyes, going to check oil in it tomorrow). I located the transfer case by watching this video:

https://youtu.be/0sTsYpfyEWA

So then, is my car full time FWD or AWD?

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK I admit I'm a bit confused now. In Australia, the 4WD models all have an "AWD" badge on the back. This car was sold to me by the owner as a FWD vehicle, with part time 4WD possible through locking diff, and has no such badge.

The vehicle absolutely does have a front and back diff (I've checked oil levels in both), and has a transfer case (seen it with my own eyes, going to check oil in it tomorrow). I located the transfer case by watching this video:

Thanks!
Ravenuer is right. As far as I know, it's only in four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles and is used to split up the engine power and send it to all four wheels using the front and rear axles.
On a second though, could be that the fluid needs to be replaced? Unfortunately, I don't know the car's-complete maintenance history, so I don't know when it was last replaced.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
https://youtu.be/0sTsYpfyEWAhttps://youtu.be/0sTsYpfyEWA

Thanks!
Ok, your car is All Wheel Drive. AWD Ravs start out with all 4 wheels powered, it then switches to Front Wheel Drive at somewhere around 10 mph, provided the wheels aren't spinning. There are plenty of posts on here explaining it better than I!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bi

Many thanks.
Hi, did you find the issue with your rav4? Currently having the same issue with my 2007 rav4 cv 4x4

21 - 34 of 34 Posts