Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My mechanic said squirrels may have chewed on my harness. VSC, ABS, 4WD, and brake warning lights stay on. When I pull out normally front wheels spin and squeal. I suspect 4wd is deactivated and only front wheel drive working. This was not a problem before work was done on car. A stabilizer bar was replaced. He said he tried to solder wires. Where do I find these wires?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Check anywhere that squirrels might have access to. Check the ABS wiring behind each of the wheels. Why was the stabilizer bar replaced? Was it a warranty job at the dealer, or was the work done elsewhere?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Work done elsewhere. Thanks . I'll check wiring to see if he soldered it correctly. Thanks again

Bob

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Check in immediate area of stabilizer work, wires/harness could've been pinched by installer.

Sorry to have to say this but it's never a good idea to solder wires in an automotive harness.

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
We used SCOTCHLOK pigtail connectors in the communications industry to join 2 conductors whenever a waterproof seal was necessary. They're made by the 3M Company.

I would highly reccomend using them in this case, especially if the harness is exposed to the envoirnment in any way, shape or form.

·
Registered
551 Posts
We used SCOTCHLOK pigtail connectors in the communications industry to join 2 conductors whenever a waterproof seal was necessary. They're made by the 3M Company.

I would highly reccomend using them in this case, especially if the harness is exposed to the envoirnment in any way, shape or form.
What are pigtail connectors used for?
I've only used regular scotchlok/tapsplice from home depot:
Gardner Bender Tap Splice Assortment - 22-10 AWG - Terminal and Connector Kits and Assortments - (10 per clam)-15-2210 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
They are used for connecting / splicing 2 wires together. You twist the two conductors together to look like a pigs tail, trim the conductors to make them even and then you attach the Scotchlok connector to the two ends then crimp. That's how you splice 2 wires!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts