Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw the pictures of the new "Toyota Fortuner" which has just been released in Asia. It reminds one very much of RAV 4. It is longer with 7 seats and has a 2,6 litre engine. I don't know if it has a ladder frame or if it is built like the current RAV. The resembelence is uncanny!. I hate to say this (please don't shoot me!)but it even resembles Honda CRV at certain angle. You can see it at the following web site. http://www.worldstyling.com/web/product_detail.php?id=909

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Not to offend, but I would not say it looks like a Rav. I'd agree that it's probably is from a larger Toyota/ Lex. platform Truck or SUV.
As both a consumer and designer I would not buy it for the looks.
If you want to see a car that mimics in the Design of the RAV then it would be the Chevy Equinox.
Same sexy, Sporty well-balanced overall shape. Except they hardened some edges (Like new Cadillac designs). It does miss a few curve accents and of course it still not as Beautiful :wink:

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
fortuner

just saw the fortuner today

its a body on frame chassis, its a clone of the hilux pick-up truck. i think its a little shorter than the u.s. 4runner, more or less looks the same.

comes in diesel and 2.7L 4cylinder petrol. NOTE: the 4x2 petrol with optitron meters,climate control is "cheaper" than a 4x4 rav4 by around $2000.

its has the same plasticky interior of our rav4. its taller and a little longer than an RX330, but more or less cast the same shadow. but this car has 6lugs on its wheels, more rugged frame construction.

doesnt have the WOW factor like our rav4 when it came out. its nice, but nuthin special.

·
Registered
47 Posts
was able to test drive both the fortuner 3.0L D4D diesel & 2.7L VVTi petrol variants.

we might be putting a reservation on the 3.0L 4WD variant this week. its 4WD capability shouldn't be lacking (full-time 4wd with low-range + torsen-type lsd) too.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19360

mazdamazda said:
my take on the fortuner:

diesel is good, gas is just adequate. blame the tranny?. the gas version is just adequate for puttering around the metro. though I would hesitatto overtake with it going up an incline. the diesel version is just superb! its full power though comes alive at around 3K rpm. I wonder how these engines would behave on a manual tranny. am not really fond of toyota's auto tranny.

jittery & lifeless steering wheel. now this really shocked me. on a short patch of uneven road, the steering wheel shook really violently... as if you were travelling on a dirt trail instead of paved streets. steering is heavy at first but gets too light when you start moving.

uncommunicative chassis & sterile driving dynamics. the ride is a bit firm up front but the body is very wallowy & soft. what gives? the driving experience is very sterile... i couldn't really feel the vehicle moving with me & how it is behaving. it is a bit like driving the honda city. it gets the job done nice & efficiently but it doesn't really stir you up.

good space but watch out for the blind spots. coming from a rav4, the fortuner is just massive. we were towering above AUVs & the patrol up ahead doesn't seem that large anymore. good space from the front to the back. pity though if you have to carry some luggage with 7 passengers in tow. the blind spots in front & right side is just alarming (a baby fender mirror would do the trick though).

nice tweeters, lacks lows, the tweeters in the sound system were a good addition. but the sound system would have benefitted more if a subwoofer have been installed instead. the mids are ok but the lows are just not there (or maybe it was just the pirated cd that carlo was using.... hmmm...).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts