Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wandering what members have done. I had a Skyfi2 unit in my Titan I sold. I would rather use a Terk solution so I could go through the JBL head unit if that is even possible, or available. It would be nice to control XM channels with the Steering Wheel Controls. I read in another thread somebody saying a unit was coming out this spring, but I cannot find a reference out there to confirm it. I guess my second choice would be the new Audiovox Xpress unit, which has a display like the Skyfi2, except the unit itself is much smaller. I have no idea where to mount it though. :?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
XM

I have installed the Audiovox Xpress in my RAV. I have the Sport model. I located the unit behind the cup holders mounted next to the acc. outlet. Be sure and mount it as high as you can to provide for cup clearance, this is the only consession with this location as it may limit the size of cup you can still fit in the cup holders. The power and antenna wires go out the back of the storage area behind the cup holders. I did have to drill a hole and install a rubber gromet to feed the wires thru the storage area. You cannot see this hole unless you use a flashlight, just locate the hole close to the back on the right side of the comparment. I removed the short piece of console trim and fed a short wire down thru the new hole and used it to snake the power and antenna wires up thru the hole one at a time. The wires then are tucked under the console trim, the antenna wire continues tucked under various trim pieces and goes out the rear door. I direct connected the power to the wires for the acc outlet inside the console. I accessed the wires by a panel in the bottom of the console. I am using a direct connect FM modulator that I let CC install to clean up the sound/ The CC installer even complmented my install. The final result is a great sounding radio, the negatives are loss of a storage area and the loss of a place for x-large cups. I have no regrets.

I have the JBL headunit and from what I have read it is not a RDS radio and will not work with the new converter coming from Terk this spring that will allow RDS display radios to displey text info for XM.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XM

Oh and the steering wheel audio controls still work for the volume adjustments while XM is in use you just cannot change XM stations with the steering wheel controls. I hope that more information regarding RDS proves the there is a adaptor coming but I am not to optimisic. The install I did is very claen no wires are showing and is easily removed if or when other options are available.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: XM

TICMXMAN said:
I have installed the Audiovox Xpress in my RAV. I have the Sport model. I located the unit behind the cup holders mounted next to the acc. outlet. Be sure and mount it as high as you can to provide for cup clearance, this is the only consession with this location as it may limit the size of cup you can still fit in the cup holders. The power and antenna wires go out the back of the storage area behind the cup holders. I did have to drill a hole and install a rubber gromet to feed the wires thru the storage area. You cannot see this hole unless you use a flashlight, just locate the hole close to the back on the right side of the comparment. I removed the short piece of console trim and fed a short wire down thru the new hole and used it to snake the power and antenna wires up thru the hole one at a time. The wires then are tucked under the console trim, the antenna wire continues tucked under various trim pieces and goes out the rear door. I direct connected the power to the wires for the acc outlet inside the console. I accessed the wires by a panel in the bottom of the console. I am using a direct connect FM modulator that I let CC install to clean up the sound/ The CC installer even complmented my install. The final result is a great sounding radio, the negatives are loss of a storage area and the loss of a place for x-large cups. I have no regrets.

I have the JBL headunit and from what I have read it is not a RDS radio and will not work with the new converter coming from Terk this spring that will allow RDS display radios to displey text info for XM.
Thanks, that was about where I was thinking to install it as well, but was concerned about getting in the way of the cup holders. Do you have some sort of mounting device? I would really like to see a photo of your mount if you get a chance :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

TICMXMAN said:

I tried mutiple options on my old Titan when I installed XM. I tried the wireless modulator, the wired modulator, was never really happy. Finally had Stereo King hardwire it through my AUX, which made a world of difference. I was also having to deal with the ultimate in crappy OEM head units Nissan put in their trucks. I would like to at least be able to switch devices using the mode button on my Steering Wheel controls. It would have to go through the AUX to do that right? :?:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XM

Yes to use the mode controls you will have to use a AUX. port. I experimented with that option and found that the volume levels are reduced thru the Aux. port. Also I had to add a ground loop isolator to prevent static if you use the Aux. port. This is purley my opinion but I thought the sound was better thru the FM modulation than the aux port. I guess it could have been the GLI that caused this, from what I have read the isolators do vary in quality, I got mine at Radio Shack. Anotherr option is to connect the XM unit to the back of the JBL headunit. the tech at CC did say there was a connection on the back of the unit I assume for a CD changer, but you will need to confirm this option.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

TICMXMAN said:
Yes to use the mode controls you will have to use a AUX. port. I experimented with that option and found that the volume levels are reduced thru the Aux. port. Also I had to add a ground loop isolator to prevent static if you use the Aux. port. This is purley my opinion but I thought the sound was better thru the FM modulation than the aux port. I guess it could have been the GLI that caused this, from what I have read the isolators do vary in quality, I got mine at Radio Shack. Anotherr option is to connect the XM unit to the back of the JBL headunit. the tech at CC did say there was a connection on the back of the unit I assume for a CD changer, but you will need to confirm this option.
Yes you are right! :D I had my Titan hardwired through the AUX at the back of the radio. It did have a decrease in volume so I ended up buying a high end line controller (Audio Control Overdrive). That was the ticket! The entire XM radio experience cost me a bundle though. After the upgrade to the Infinity speakers, the different tries at connection options, the line controler, radio itself, which was more expensive back then, probably ran me between $700 to $850. :x

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XM

I only have about $100 net in my XM set up, $50 after rebates for the Xpress reciever and $50 for the direct connect install from CC. I did not want to risk damaging the dash so I let CC install the FM direct connect to the back of the head unit. You may want to check out the Roady Xt reciever it is a little smaller than the Xpress. The Xpress does come with a remote and all units come with a mounting bracket with double face tape. I did raise the mounting location today and now there is adequate room for x-large cups. I'll try to get a picture next week. I have not posted a picture on a forum before any tips on how to would be appreciated. To bad our JBL's are not XM ready are RDS capable this is my only major complaintwith the new RAV so far.
Check out xmthefan.com for more XM info.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

TICMXMAN said:
I only have about $100 net in my XM set up, $50 after rebates for the Xpress reciever and $50 for the direct connect install from CC. I did not want to risk damaging the dash so I let CC install the FM direct connect to the back of the head unit. You may want to check out the Roady Xt reciever it is a little smaller than the Xpress. The Xpress does come with a remote and all units come with a mounting bracket with double face tape. I did raise the mounting location today and now there is adequate room for x-large cups. I'll try to get a picture next week. I have not posted a picture on a forum before any tips on how to would be appreciated. To bad our JBL's are not XM ready are RDS capable this is my only major complaintwith the new RAV so far.
Check out xmthefan.com for more XM info.
Really the only way other than a little Avatar like the one of my RAV in my signature, is to put a photo out on a web server somewhere and post a URL link to it. If you want to post an Avatar of your rig like I did, take a picture and then use a photo program or go to this site http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ to shrink the picture to a maximum size of 140. There's a place under your profile where you can upload an avatar. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Kelly Smith said:
sstarrx3 said:
Really the only way other than a little Avatar like the one of my RAV in my signature, is to put a photo out on a web server somewhere and post a URL link to it. . :D
Or... click here :D
Thanks Kelly! Guess I should read the forum FAQ closer huh :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Photos of my install are ready

Check my album for pictures of my Audiovox Xpress install

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice install. Where/How did you run the antenna wire?

Here's my install of the SkyFi2. I used the Belkin TuneDock. It takes up a cup holder though. I'm just using the built-in FM modulator for now until there is a receiver that can connect to the head unit.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is xm that much different than sirus satellite, on my rav everything runs
on the existing headset and the antenna is on the windshield behind the mirror.
I get all the text write on the headset.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kuj the antenna wire is ran under the dash to the passenger side of the RAV , under the door seal trim under various trim in the trunk that I could tuck it under without removal, under the rear door weather striping and onto the roof

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Photos of my install are ready

TICMXMAN said:
Check my album for pictures of my Audiovox Xpress install
Thanks allot! Those are nice pics! I may end up setting mine up the same way or using a front window suction mount with a goose neck right in the lower center of the front windsheild, so the radio will sit dead center on the front edge of the dash. Don't know which is worse, having partially obstructed view or having to look down with my eyes away from the road :? Don't know if the wires can be run up behind the dash or through the defrost vent openings, could you tell if that was possible :?:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
garfieldgurl said:
Are these XM satellite radio units removable? It seems to me that it's dangerous to leave that in the car :?
They only cost like $50 bucks after rebate. :D Not worth stealing anymore than a cell phone, especially if its already registered with XM. Soon as you report it stolen, it becomes worthless to the thief! :eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
garfieldgurl said:
Are these XM satellite radio units removable? It seems to me that it's dangerous to leave that in the car :?
Yes they are removable and you can get home kits to use them in your house :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sstarrx3 I did not explore the wire route option you mentioned thru the defrost vents. I did think about puting a unit in the sunglass holder routing the antenna wire thru the moonroof and getting power thru the moonroof source the same way someone did with a mirror modification. But I did not physicaly check out the fit issues with this option and was a little concerned about creating a leak at the moonroof.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts