Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a second cargo light so that the other side isn't so dark but there are no cut outs and it's hard plastic. Has anybody done this modification before or have any knowledge on it?

·
Premium Member
7,785 Posts
I just swapped out the incandescent bulb for a multi-element LED and added chrome tape to the reflector so it reflects light from the back side of the LED, it makes a big difference, like night and day! :laugh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which bulb did you switch it out for? i have an LED 194 from lasfit but its still pretty dim for the cargo. I have 2 of those for the front dome lights and they're super bright.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am running SYLVANIA - 168 T10 W5W ZEVO in my wifes 2016 and it's not bright enough. I used duct foil tape to make the backing piece a reflector -- it helped a little but not enough.

My next step is to try a 921 bulb... and make it fit. I'm still looking around for a quality one that isn't too high of wattage.

After that I will consider adding a "dome" light. Other than cutting a hole in the headliner it shouldn't be too hard to do :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've seen the LED panels that replace the access panels on the hatch to light up the cargo area, but they're only manufactured for the 5th Gen Rav4. I've been searching and searching, but no luck for us 4th Gen Rav4 owners.

So I made my own set. Big difference in the lighting in the cargo area when the hatch is open now.

I have one completed and the parts set out to complete the other one.

Light box assembled and ready to be glued to access panel with white Lexan panel glued into carved out opening. Light on the right is on and after being on for 15 minutes, the temp was between 102F and 124F in a 65F garage. Heat should not be an issue.

Light assemblies popped into place for test fitting.

Original factory lighting replaced with an 9 LED bulb in a garage at night, no camera flash.

New hatch lighting no camera flash.

Quite a bit of difference in lighting. The wife loves it.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've seen the LED panels that replace the access panels on the hatch to light up the cargo area, but they're only manufactured for the 5th Gen Rav4. I've been searching and searching, but no luck for us 4th Gen Rav4 owners.

So I made my own set. Big difference in the lighting in the cargo area when the hatch is open now.

I have one completed and the parts set out to complete the other one.

View attachment 150945

Light box assembled and ready to be glued to access panel with white Lexan panel glued into carved out opening. Light on the right is on and after being on for 15 minutes, the temp was between 102F and 124F in a 65F garage. Heat should not be an issue.

View attachment 150946

Light assemblies popped into place for test fitting.

View attachment 150947

Original factory lighting replaced with an 9 LED bulb in a garage at night, no camera flash.

View attachment 150948

New hatch lighting no camera flash.

View attachment 150949

Quite a bit of difference in lighting. The wife loves it.

Have a good day.
did you use keydex to make the 'black boxes' ? nice piece of work (y).

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I paralleled the wiring from the Driver Side light and then fished them through the ceiling and the rubber grommet on the top of the tailgate. I then fished the wire to the removable square cover in the center near the latch. Drilled a hole in the center of the cover then connected a penny LED light. Easy peasy.
penny light info.JPG

penny light.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Found this on E-bay, item 141883230902 for 4th Gen, PnP.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts