Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I Received my cross bars from the dealer last week and just got around to installing them. I was rather shocked that they are all plastic and appear rather flimsy. They are not at all of the quality that I expect from Toyota. They are rated at 100 lbs. combined, but I am not even sure about that. In comparison the aluminum ones on my Infiniti were also rated at 100 lbs., but I routinely carried 2 kayaks and associated Yakima racks that probably totaled 130 lbs. without a worry. Judging by the many posts about seeking alternative racks my concerns have been expressed by many others. However, what I wonder if has anyone actually had the OEM cross bars fail on them? And if so what (and how much) where you carrying? It is possible they are stronger than they look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the Toyota ones on my 2014 bc they had come with it. I only had 1 kayak up there, they definitely we're rather flimsy but they never failed on me. For my new Rav I got the ebay ones that someone had posted on here, they feel way better made and I think look better too. I've had two kayaks on the ebay bars and they didn't flex at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
OT: does anyone know the inner distance between the roof bars that comes with the vehicle. (Gonna try to fit a 40" LED bar between)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
In comparison the aluminum ones on my Infiniti were also rated at 100 lbs., but I routinely carried 2 kayaks and associated Yakima racks that probably totaled 130 lbs. without a worry.
The racks are more than likely rated for lateral forces also. Like locking up your brakes if you need to stop really fast. It's not a good idea to exceed rated limits for liability purposes also.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anyone know the best placement of the the front crossbar to minimize noise and increase fuel efficiency when not in use?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Does anyone know the best placement of the the front crossbar to minimize noise and increase fuel efficiency when not in use?

The best position is stored in your garage when not it use, that's where mine are! :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wouldn`t risk putting something heavy on those, especially kayaks.. I`v seen kayaks rip FJ Cruiser crossbars and damage the roof, and those are much sturdier, to the point of course. Best solution is to get Thule crossbars, those are rock solid, or at least one bar... for the front. That will not fail for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts