Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had done my 19 RAV4 XLE ECU update on 09/09/2019 but it didn't fix the hesitation and lurch.(I bought my 19 RAV4 on May 2019 from Fairfax VA)

Lately, I noticed there was a ECU update/revision issued by Toyota on last December.

My 10,000 maintenance was due so I had scheduled the service for yesterday and requested them to update ECU with newest version.

However, the representative said I already have the newest ECU update so there will not perform the service.

Also I was told they can't do ECU update on the weekend so I would have to come back on Monday 1pm. (I am pretty sure the representative won't take the responsibility just like he did last time and toss it to the customer manager.)

I got really upset and when I got home I called Toyota corporate (the 800 numbers) to discuss about the issue. I was told to call Toyota again on Monday if they reject to do the new ECU update and gave me reference numbers for follow up.

I will gladly share update after I visit the dealer service.

And meanwhile I would like to ask forum, to those who have similar problem like me was your transmission issue resolved after 2nd ECU (revision) update?

TSB number:

T-SB-0107-19_Rev

saved.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
So original was issued in August and they revised it in dec 2019?

I wasnt aware of revision

They are still using same TSB number...

I haven't heard of this maybe you are the first. Keep us posted

I wonder what the rev1 is and why they wont give it to you

·
Registered
772 Posts
Based solely on reading that TSB, it could be interpreted that all they did was change the verbiage of the TSB. ?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well it says the "parts" are different so....I'm guessing the part is software and they changed it in a new revision.

Totally guessing here

·
Registered
14 Posts
We traded in a Jeep with the ZF 9 speed transmission. It was far from ready for prime time. It was 5 years old when we got the RAV4 and Chrysler, finally got the Transmission Control Module programed so the transmission would shift well. Every time I took it in for service I asked if there was an update for the TCM, but I could not phrase the question that way. I told them that I was still experiencing problems with the shifting and could they look into it. If I asked for just a TCM update, they could not do. My question had to be phrased so that warranty would kick in. The warranty would cover the labor for the TCM update. After couple of visits, my service advisor automatically put the shifting problem on the work order.

When I purchased our 2019 RAV4 one of the first questions I asked was if the transmission TSB had been done. A check of the records showed that it had. The transmission is shifting great.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well it says the "parts" are different so....I'm guessing the part is software and they changed it in a new revision.

Totally guessing here

Quick glance at previous then latest T-SB-0107-19.pdf show no previous/new calibration ID number differences so I would have to assume it is the same as prior software only delta being USA Only or Canada Only descriptors added to table prompting revision of the pdf!?:unsure:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update I am at the Toyota service fairfax va. I spoke to the representative about the revision ecu update. He refuses to do the ecu update because they did not find the vehicle operating abnormally at low mile during my 5000 maintenance service. They did the 1st ecu update on my vehicle but the problem still exists and I had recorded odometer how the vehicle hesitates and lurches on the same day after 5000 maintenance service. I am afraid my request would not be documented because the representative verbally refuse the request. This is my 2nd attempt to fix the transmission issue.
To those who wonder how my rav4 behaves at low speed

You don't have to watch the whole clip skip to 0:45.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After Toyota service rejected the 2nd ecu update I called Toyota (800 numbers) and now case will be escalated by the case manager. I am supposed to get a call from one of the managers tomorrow morning and meanwhile I attempted to make a service appointment at other Toyota service for 2nd ecu update. I will share the result tomorrow.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah, keep us posted. I had the ECU update done in November. It fixed second gear which really hesitated to downshift and would lurch before, but it's now moved the issue to first gear. Any slow rolling stop at around 1 KPH gives me the hard shift, so I either have to come to a complete stop to get a clean downshift to first or stay above 2 KPH to remain in second. I hit that condition every once in awhile and it's a PITA. I know I'm going to have to argue with my service department about it too. If they do go for it, I'm going to take out the mechanic and show him the problem this time with me driving. He can plug in his diagnostic laptop and watch when it shifts into first and how hard.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I still occasionally experience mild, but noticeable coast and lurch after update. It reduced it so much, I kind of gave them a break. There's so much I like about the car and don't want to take a financial bath on it. I'm still deciding what to do. I doubt I'll keep it beyond 3 years, but if I did it would most certainly require me to buy the extended warranty. I may also take my wife's what will be then be 3 year old NX300 and buy that extended warranty at 4 years (but WHAT IF they put this POS 8 speed in the new NX300 which we anticipated buying for my wife?). It PO's me I have to even think this hard about it. Never, ever did I have this conversation in my head about the many Nissans that I owned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The lawyer said I need 3 documents that describes I visited the dealership over same issue.

On my 2nd visit the representative declined my ecu update request verbally. So thus I only have two.

Now, I have a whole new story here. Last night, I was told by the customer manager that my calibration id is previous one, 8966342T6000.(ECU has not been updated) At the same time, he told me my vehicle is not eligible for ecu update because my vehicle was manufactured in Japan.

The pdf which was released by Toyota on Aug 15, 2019 did not specify the country while the new revision one specify the vehicle has to be manufactured either in US and Canada.

So then my question is how did the 1st dealership did the ECU update while my car is not eligible for it? and If they did the ECU update how my ecu id is same as old one?

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Holy crap! Good question. I'm waiting to find out as well before I go back to the dealer since they already did the first one and will probably give me grief.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Alright this morning I dropped my vehicle to dealer service for ECU update and I would like to share some results. So far I visited two dealers to resolve the transmission issue. The first dealer I went to for the ECU update, they did the ECU update but did not do any adaption run. The 2nd dealer had some issue with their computers initially so they could not do the ECU update. However, yesterday they called me and they found a way to do accordingly and they were also contacted by Toyota tech to resolve the issue. Fortunately, 2nd dealer did the adaption run and now vehicle runs very very smoothly.(I can tell because the difference in odometer this morning and afternoon was about 50 miles). The transmission had been dull and rough from day one to so far, but now it got just better runs really smoothly over all. However, when it comes to hesitation and lurches I can still feel the hesitation while lurch is gone. I have been observing the odometer very carefully and see how rpm gauge and speed meter gauge react one another accordingly. When I press the acceleration pedal on the low mile rpm goes up high while speed meter goes up after a second, but the vehicle did not lurch. Also I can feel the hesitation by my body which is definitely not a good sign for sure. It is like the vehicle is trying to roll forward as the pedal is pressed but the ECU won't let it do it right away and hold the vehicle for a second. For now I am semi satisfied. I am gonna drive for a few days and share my experience with the 2nd dealer and will share the after math here.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts