Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get my rav painted, but I do not trust myself doing it. Anyone had a shop paint their bumpers and/or the body? How much was it? So I along with others will have a price in mind. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
^^ My guess is $300 each, to repaint bumpers.
Or $3,500 to repaint the whole vehicle, in a good-reputable body shop.
- an Earl S job, would be several hundred dollars

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Painting a RAV which I intend to have look good and keep for a long time isn't something I would do myself. As suggested above a good body shop job would be expensive but it should be guaranteed. Suggest that with the US/Canadian dollar exchange rate it could be worthwhile to have the job done at a good and reputable shop in Canada, but one would need to check costs thoroughly since Canadians routinely complain that they pay more than people in the US for the same items and services.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
You can paint your own bumpers but I would not paint the car body itself. If you have done many other cars/airplanes/etc before and are good at it, and have access to a professional paint system and paint booth, dive right in. Otherwise, it is best to have the professionals do it....which is much easier than having them redo your bad paint job. I have painted cars/airplanes and it is a PITA done right and takes a large chunk of your time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just had my painter paint a bumper on my Escape.

I am an Insurance appraiser (among other things) and at 40dollars an hour, and red paint, and figuring 2 hours to prep the bumper and take out any scratches the bill would have been $503.00

The half a pint of red paint alone was 75 bucks, plus reducer, clear, activator, flex additive, adhesion promoter, etc etc etc.

How many little dents are there? scratches? are you removing the headlights, grille, lights, moldings, racks, emblems?

You get what you pay for..... even if every panel was damage free, figure 2 hours per panel for all the r&i's, 2 hours per panel to wash, degrease, block sand, and get the panel to 400 grit where the refinishing time starts.

good paint work is NOT cheap, it is very labor intensive.

you are going to put a 4000 dollar paint job on a 4000 dollar vehicle?

·
Registered
159 Posts
OK, I know many like to make fun of Maaco (rarely due to a PERSONAL experience, it is just a "thing to do"), but I have painted many (SIX!) cars there with very good results! Their spray job is fine, but they SUCK at prep work! So... if you can prep the car for them, you can get a decent paint job for $500-$600 (urethane) or $900 for base coat/clear coat.

The biggest part is to remove EVERYTHING that can be removed! Because their masking will be terrible! But if you go into it with those expectations, you should know how to avoid their screw-ups!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking for money reasons, I'm just going to have my bumpers painted. I know it's kinda odd, but I can't seem to get the dark color back of the plastic, so I might as well paint it. My car is white, but I'm thinking of doing a different color, like purple or royal blue. I've seen people on YouTube paint their bumpers, I might give it a try. And that's a big MIGHT because as it was stated, the professionals do it best. I'll let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,064 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That will look so cool! I hope the quality of the wrap will be good! Camo rav, sick!

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,064 Posts
I bought the camo wrap on sale a little while back, just waiting to put it on after I replace the transmission. It is very heavy duty stuff, talked to a guy who installs vinyl wraps on busses and he gave me some pointers, looks easy. Going to pull all the trim off so it runs under the trim. Paint the trim and inside the door wells and doors, also under the hood. Cannot wait...

By the way, this is way easier and more economical than a paint job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts