Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just had a torn seatbelt replaced in my 2015 Toyota Rav 4. Yesterday I noticed that the new one was torn. It's only been in my car for a couple months. I took it to Toyota where I purchased the new belt and they refuse to help me because Toyota doesn't cover torn belts. I am pretty sure that the metal casing where the belt comes out of the ceiling is defective and sharp and is responsible for the cuts. The first cut is at the very end and another one is down a few inches. This is pretty similar to the replaced belts tear..here I was blaming my poor dog who now has to wear a Hannibal Lecter type mask in the car. I am really concerned that Toyota is selling defective belts. Does anyone have any advice where I can get help with this situation?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I hate to say it, but that looks like it's been gnawed/chewed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would be tempted to take out the top paneling if possible to see if its catching/rubbing on something sharp inside causing the belt to fray.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Rav4 LE AWD
57 Posts
Wow how big / strong is your dog. Looks like when you hit the brakes and the safety lock engages. Dog keeps pulling on it and the safety lock digs in enough to start the tearing process.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't see this damage as a result from a dog. I would suggest removing the trim piece and examining the mechanism and path. There must be a sharp edge somewhere but one would ASSUME that a Toyota technician would have picked up on this....Please keep us updated. Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts