Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at 2016 rav4 regulars vs the hybrid version. Fuel economy aside, can anyone tell me the pro's of why it's worth shelving out for the hybrid? Also from what I heard, getting 30+ mpg in the hybrid isint possible unless you drive like a grandma? Has anyone actually sat down with a pencil and paper and did the math for their road trip and see if they actually got 30+ mpg??

From what I know the seats don't fold all the way down in hybrid version which is kind of a big deal to me incase I ever need to transport something large. Also I heard the batterys will suck in 5-10 years from now unless technology has changed that??

Also did they fix any of the cons in the 2017 version?

Any other pro's and cons of the hybrid version that should be mentioned??

I know this is the hybrid section so some answers may be biased, but please give honest feedback on how you feel about the hybrid (good or bad)

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid for two weeks. Immediately after getting it, my wife and I took a trip from the Memphis TN area to Springfield MO area and then to just outside of St. Louis, back to Springfield and back to Memphis area. 900 miles. Then three 70 mile round trips. 3 tanks of gas.

I always drive watching my MPG gauge and MPG average gauge. And on occasion I check with a calculator to see if the Average MPG gauges are correct. On my 2009 Camry Hybrid, my wife's previous Prius and so far on the RAV4, they are right on. With the RAV4, I average 31 - 32 when I am driving, some local and some on the highway. Because I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid, I know how to use the EV aspect. The EV on the RAV4 is easier to use and I have found that it engages ok in town and keeps my milage up. I don't baby it though. My wife on the other hand gets about 2 mpg less than me when she drives in similar circumstance. She had a 2010 Prius and traded it in for the RAV4. I always averaged 1 to 3 mpg more on the Prius than she did. I was not a slower driver than her, I just wasn't heavy on the pedal for passing or starting off, but I was not one to baby it. Impatient people will average less.

I grew up around diesel engines, trucks and tractors. It wasn't about how fast one could get up to speed as in a gasoline engine but about steady consistent increase in speed. This is how I accelerate in gas engines also and it works well with hybrids - for me.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Use the search this forum, all of your questions have been asked and discussed before, here are 5 pages of fuel economy reports. I went from a '15 gas model to a '16 HV, never got any better than 24-25mpg city in the '15, 21-22mpg was closer to average, I'm running 35-36mpg all city now, a little less in cold weather.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/216113-real-world-mpg-your-hybrid-rav4-5.html#post2020065

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/review-2016-toyota-rav4-hybrid-limited-awd-33-mpg-honey-badger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more questions

Don't worry I did use the search bar, but I just had a feeling that most people simply looked at their display mpg and didnt actually do any math to see if it was accurate or not.

Two more quick questions if anyone can answer:
1: I know the regular rav4 has a higher fuel tank capacity then the hybrid, if the regular doesnt have that horrible of a mpg can they be close in total fuel milage?

2: The rav4 hybrid has a slight bump on the bottom in the cargo area to make room for the battery. I noticed it's just a slight ramp upwards. If you were to put stuff in the cargo area including the small "ramp" upwards, would the rav4 hybrid and regular have the same exact caargo volume room? I'm not sure if when measured most people only measure the flat area or include the small ramp

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
My display has always been 1-1½ mpg optimistic, right now after driving 240 miles all city/urban it says 38.2mpg, but I expect at fill-up actual will be around 36-37 mpg or so. I can easily get 440-450 miles on a tank filling up at ¼ tank, many here get 480-500 miles on a tank refilling before the low fuel warning comes on.

Here's a pic of the 2nd row folded so you can see the angle you're dealing with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a brand new 2015 Rav4 Limited and after it was totaled in a wreck I bought a brand new 2017 Rav4 Limited Hybrid. I am a contract courier and put about 75K miles on my cars every year and run them into the ground before buying a new one. Usually around 425K miles is when I upgrade.
As you can guess cargo capacity and fuel mileage are very important to me.

There are very few things I don't like about the Hybrid and a lot of things I do like about it. The Hybrid has less cargo space than the non-Hybrid when the seats are down but unless I'm transporting something tall it really hasn't affected me. I don't like that the seats don't fold flat as objects slide to the rear of the car. When braking the car makes a whining noise created by the regenerative brakes. If you're listening to the radio you can't hear it but if the radio is off you can't miss it. On very rare occasions when driving at slow speeds you can feel the combustion engine engage. Most of the time you can't tell if it's on or off.

My non-Hybrid Rav4 averaged about 27 miles to the gallon and the Hybrid averages 36 mpg. My town is mostly flat terrain so when I ride someplace where there are hills the mileage goes down to around 28 - 30 mpg. I would fill the non-hybrid with 14.5 gallons every fill up and could go about 360 miles on a tank before filling up. I fill the Hybrid with about 13 gallons per fill-up and I can usually drive 440 miles before needing a fill-up. If I do a lot of stop and go driving while in town the car uses the battery more often and I go about 470 on a tank. They hybrid has a lot more acceleration and there is almost no hesitation when punching the gas pedal. Passing cars is a breeze as there is lots of get-up-n-go. I've hit 100+ a couple of times and you can smell the main battery working hard. Not a burning smell but an odd electrical smell. Cruise control on the non-hybrid was awful. While going up a hill the car would jerk hard while downshifting. The Hybrid is butter smooth. I mean BUTTER SMOOTH.

I would change the oil on the non-hybrid every 15K with Mobil 1 Premium full synthetic. With the hybrid I change it out every 20K as the engine doesn't run as often as the non-hybrid. I won't have to change brake pads as often as the Hybrid uses the electrical motors to slow the car and the caliper brakes only kick in when needed. I expect the CVT transmission to last a long time as it doesn't have a reverse gear so there is less shifting and fewer moving parts. The Hybrid uses the rear electric motor and rear tires to move the car in reverse. The stereo is the same in both cars but there's a lot more sound deadening material in the Hybrid. My wife noticed it the first time we drove the car home from the dealership.

I am not worried about the main battery going dead as there are Prius' on the road with more than 500K miles on the same battery. There is a standard lead acid battery in the trunk area of the car but I'm not sure what it's used for. Everything seems to run off the main battery including the starter which is not the same kind of started used in the non-hybrid. The starter in the Hybrid should last the life of the car. One thing I really love is that the A/C compressor is electric and can run without the combustion engine running. It runs off the main battery. When the main battery runs low the combustion engine turns on for about 3 minutes to charge the battery then turns off. I have 55K miles on my Hybrid and I'm already sold on it. I expect to get 500K miles plus before I sell it and buy a new car.

·
Registered
608 Posts
2017 RAV4 Hybrid only a few months old...
Lifetime average showing 39mpg (optimistic) but calculated at 34mpg.
Last 3 fillups, showing 40mpg and calculated at 41mpg.
Real life full tank range 450+ miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2nd post on this thread: Some months after we purchased my wife's 2010 Prius, I asked on a Prius forum why we were not getting the MPG that others were getting in town. A response from one person who knew my hometown replied: "I know your town. You have numerous 4 way stops. And people of this region do not like sloth like startups or road rage happens; or police/HP will get you for obstructing traffic.

There are times on my Camry when I can take the time to stay on the battery power for starting off and for some in town street use, but for the most part, I cannot. The RAV4 does much better at it but to prevent road rage or honking horns, we must use the gas power. This keeps MPG lower. I am finding that the RAV4 will get equal milage in town as it does on the highway - so far in the low 30's.

The MPG is dependent upon local driving habits and the patience of the people around you as much as anything else. The RAV4 IS capable of good milage, as people have posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, after doing further research I found that the hybrid and regular do have the same cargo capacity if you put stuff on the hybrid's cargo ramp (caused by the battery being underneath)

Unless someone measures something different in both cars, I'm now leaning towards getting the Hybrid again :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I'm curious about Quickdtoo is, is that extra 3 square feet from the result of the "ramp" in the back caused by the battery?

When they measure the square feet are they only measuring the flat surface? Because both the hybrid and the regular have the same height X length X width dimensions. Or is the cargo area really "further back" in the hybrid then the regular? I hope this all makes sense

I know I may seem like I'm over analyzing but before I dump 20k+$ in a car I rather know exactly what I'm getting into

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Cargo volume is measured in cubic feet, not square feet, the space taken up by the traction battery and the angle of the folded seat accounts for the difference. You can adjust the deck board on the floor of the cargo area so it creates a ramp from back to front, but it doesn't really create any more space, just an even cargo area, albeit at an angle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I meant to say cubic feet not square feet lol. And okay thank you so much for that last sentence :) it cleared everything up alot

I was under the impression that if you factor in the ramp then both cars have the same cargo area

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
There is a standard lead acid battery in the trunk area of the car but I'm not sure what it's used for. Everything seems to run off the main battery including the starter which is not the same kind of started used in the non-hybrid.

Whilst on the subject, the 12V battery under the cargo deck powers the electronics and works for connecting power to trailer wiring if towing. The "starter" is one of the front electric motors, MG1 IIRC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts