Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I saw this mentioned on the Rav4 subreddit and now I am lusting over it. I don't think I can justify the purchase myself, since it is $1,000 and is basically an improvement of the assistive driving technology already installed. But based on the reviews and the youtube videos it is fairly flawless at self-driving on the highway and some non-highway roads. It requires a vehicle ahead of you to stop at lights and stop signs, but it is hands free for steering.

Has anyone installed this or is anyone thinking about it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unfortunately I saw this mentioned on the Rav4 subreddit and now I am lusting over it. I don't think I can justify the purchase myself, since it is $1,000 and is basically an improvement of the assistive driving technology already installed. But based on the reviews and the youtube videos it is fairly flawless at self-driving on the highway and some non-highway roads. It requires a vehicle ahead of you to stop at lights and stop signs, but it is hands free for steering.

Has anyone installed this or is anyone thinking about it?
I’ve been watching reviews about it on YouTube for a few months after learning about it in someone’s comment. Now, I want one!! It makes the standard system so much better, and I also really like that it doubles as a dash cam. Plus, it won’t work unless you are paying attention, so I think it’s safer than Tesla’s system. Not that people should completely rely on it; but it’s better. With Open Pilot, you don’t have to have your hands on the wheel at all. It monitors your face to see if you’re paying attention instead of prompting you to take control of the wheel. The system from Toyota cannot do that. It’s not capable of steering the car for you for miles on end. Open pilot is, even in the dark or rainy weather.
I’ll be saving up for it when I get my Rav4 later this month.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I use rav4 lane assist/centering all the time and even on freeway I don't trust it as it it's pretty bad at curves

Reactions: audioyo

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use rav4 lane assist/centering all the time and even on freeway I don't trust it as it it's pretty bad at curves
That’s exactly why the OpenPilot system is superior. It handles curves extremely well! Toyota and all other manufacturers could improve their driver assist systems; but they choose not to. They are holding the technology back on purpose. Only people that have money can get the better technology. George Hotz of Comma.ai basically is allowing this better technology to be available to more people, the way it should be. I think he’s the next Bill Gates, and as soon as Tesla goes completely to level 5 of self driving, all George will do is program all the Eon devices to get the update...boom, every car that has Open Pilot will be exactly as good; or better than Tesla. Beat them at their own game. I think it’s absolutely genius! Elon Musk actually asked George to develop Autopilot system; and he turned him down and did it a different way for much less money?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
That’s exactly why the OpenPilot system is superior. It handles curves extremely well! Toyota and all other manufacturers could improve their driver assist systems; but they choose not to. They are holding the technology back on purpose. Only people that have money can get the better technology. George Hotz of Comma.ai basically is allowing this better technology to be available to more people, the way it should be. I think he’s the next Bill Gates, and as soon as Tesla goes completely to level 5 of self driving, all George will do is program all the Eon devices to get the update...boom, every car that has Open Pilot will be exactly as good; or better than Tesla. Beat them at their own game. I think it’s absolutely genius! Elon Musk actually asked George to develop Autopilot system; and he turned him down and did it a different way for much less money?
I sense a stockholder is present.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I sense a stockholder is present.
I’m not a stock holder, I just think it’s really cool technology that he basically tapped into the car manufacturers systems and trains it to work almost exactly like Tesla’s system for a fraction of the price. If people don’t want to buy it, then don’t buy it! Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The OP happened to ask about it, so I chimed in with my thoughts.

·
Registered
126 Posts

OpenPilot keeps improving, these are a little older, so I’m not sure if they are exactly the latest version

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mark my words -- soon Openpilot will be using your BSM to do the lane changes without you looking over your shoulder. IE: it won't do a lane change if your BSM is lit up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was going to buy it and install.
However, after I drove to be New York from Ontario and back I changed my mind. Because of many reasons

It's expensive and 2019 RAV4 hybrid is not in the list of supported vehicles yet.

The water bottle trick worked for me. The car self drove for the most of the route, except the busy areas. I could feel the difference, how not tired I am by the end of the trip. I did many trips to NY in the past so I can compare.

The cons are:
  • curves are handled so-so
  • car waves a bit from side to side. For the front passengers it's not as bad. The rear ones might get sick.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,242 Posts
I've driven hundreds maybe even thousands of miles on the Interstates with their well marked lanes where I find Toyota's stock system does quite well. I used it for about 200 miles of the 300 miles driving home after I first picked up the car. I don't use it anywhere else. I rather enjoy driving except for the hours long runs on the Interstates. And I trust me more than it on the locals.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was going to buy it and install.
However, after I drove to be New York from Ontario and back I changed my mind. Because of many reasons

It's expensive and 2019 RAV4 hybrid is not in the list of supported vehicles yet.

The water bottle trick worked for me. The car self drove for the most of the route, except the busy areas. I could feel the difference, how not tired I am by the end of the trip. I did many trips to NY in the past so I can compare.

The cons are:
  • curves are handled so-so
  • car waves a bit from side to side. For the front passengers it's not as bad. The rear ones might get sick.
The 2019 Rav is supported. On the site it says including hybrid in parenthesis. The system is constantly improving with each update. The more you drive, the more data the Eon device learns.
The price is a little steep, I agree. I wish it was maybe $500. If someone really knows what they are doing, and can program and code; everything is open source for free. If Tesla is the ‘Apple’, Comma.ai is the ‘Android’.
However, a lot of people don’t know how. I don’t bother with the car’s LKA and steering; it’s horrible. I just use the adaptive cruise and steer myself. At some point I’ll buy one, though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I love their FAQ.

Q: What about my liability insurance?

A: That’s between you and your insurance company.

Q: What about my vehicle warranty?

A: That’s between you and the vehicle manufacturer.

I wouldn’t go near it but that’s just me.

If I’m being completely honest, I find it ludicrous.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The 2019 Rav is supported. On the site it says including hybrid in parenthesis. The system is constantly improving with each update. The more you drive, the more data the Eon device learns.
The price is a little steep, I agree. I wish it was maybe $500. If someone really knows what they are doing, and can program and code; everything is open source for free. If Tesla is the ‘Apple’, Comma.ai is the ‘Android’.
However, a lot of people don’t know how. I don’t bother with the car’s LKA and steering; it’s horrible. I just use the adaptive cruise and steer myself. At some point I’ll buy one, though.
Scares the hell outta me that something this untested and “open source” is going to be used for who knows what!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've driven hundreds maybe even thousands of miles on the Interstates with their well marked lanes where I find Toyota's stock system does quite well. I used it for about 200 miles of the 300 miles driving home after I first picked up the car. I don't use it anywhere else. I rather enjoy driving except for the hours long runs on the Interstates. And I trust me more than it on the locals.
Definitely. A lot of people think the adaptive cruise is meant for around town. It’s really not. I probably wouldn’t trust Open Pilot on local roads, either. As of now, it doesn’t recognize red lights or completely stopped vehicles in front of you at a red light. This new technology is really cool, but it in no way is ready to replace common sense and a driver yet. All this stuff is to provide a measure of assistance, and to keep the people that are texting, reading, putting on makeup etc; from an accident.

In a lot of ways people were better off before cell phones. It’s only going to get worse. So many people are out to lunch when they drive. People are stressed, not focusing that they are driving 3-4,000lb. machine. It’s like my Dad always said, you gotta watch out for the other guy!!!

Reactions: hftech
1 - 20 of 104 Posts