Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is really turning into a pointless debate. People will either feel comfortable using adaptive cruise control with steering assist(which OP is; and simply allows access what Toyota already has programmed into the car and enhances it); or people won’t.
My issue is, when people imply that someone using an assistant feature in the correct way according to the manufacturer; is an unsafe driver. Someone sitting behind their computer or on their smart phone who doesn’t know me, has no right to imply how I drive!
I see people everyday doing much more reckless things while driving.

Perhaps it would be best to agree to disagree and not discuss it.

Reactions: rys

·
Registered
126 Posts
If someone wants to know more about Comma.ai and Open Pilot, there is a ton of information on YouTube from countless driving videos and interviews with George Hotz.
My apologies to the original post person who simply asked about it, and now it’s turned into some stupid debate. Anything slightly controversial maybe shouldn’t be discussed in this forum.

Some people can’t handle it when someone else has a difference of opinion. Maybe people failed kindergarten where you’re supposed to be taught to respect others viewpoint and ‘If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all’.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Knock on wood, OpenPilot has not been involved in any at fault accidents while it has been engaged. There have been incidents of vehicles striking OP enabled vehicles while stopped, like OP following behind a vehicle that over shoots the stop line at an intersection, and the vehicle in front reverse crashes into the OP vehicle.

Tesla has not been so lucky.

All systems state that the driver is responsible. It would also be the same as if you have Toyota LTA enabled and side swipe a vehicle. You can't claim that your driver assist system should have prevented the accident, it's your responsibility.

Nobody asked your opinion on what the laws should be, but feel free to take it somewhere where it will make a difference. The RAV4World forum probably isn't a great place to lobby for change, but you can always e-mail your congressman. I'm sure all of the major manufacturers are lobbying for support for their own driver assistance systems, so there is not likely to be any laws passed in your favor here.
Fortunately, like everyone else here, I don’t need to have anyone ask for my opinion. This thread opened the discussion.
Tesla certainly is included in my concerns about this type of technology.
OpenPilot (and other companies like it) has far less of a spotlight on it than Tesla and clearly should have more.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Fortunately, like everyone else here, I don’t need to have anyone ask for my opinion. This thread opened the discussion.
Tesla certainly is included in my concerns about this type of technology.
OpenPilot (and other companies like it) has far less of a spotlight on it than Tesla and clearly should have more.
This thread opened the discussion on if anyone had it installed.

You made it about discussing laws and responsibility, those things have been already clearly discussed elsewhere.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This thread opened the discussion on if anyone had it installed.

You made it about discussing laws and responsibility, those things have been already clearly discussed elsewhere.
OP did ask “Anyone tempted?” Which kind of opens the door to a larger discussion than just “Anyone using it?”

·
Registered
1 Posts
@OP,
I use open pilot with my 2019 Rav4 and it’s been great for long drives. To be clear, it is assisting your drive, so you need to focus on the road and correct the system but All in all, it’s much better than the Toyota factory system. I drove 300 miles yesterday and open pilot was assisting 80% of the time accurately.

·
Registered
188 Posts
@OP,
I use open pilot with my 2019 Rav4 and it’s been great for long drives. To be clear, it is assisting your drive, so you need to focus on the road and correct the system but All in all, it’s much better than the Toyota factory system. I drove 300 miles yesterday and open pilot was assisting 80% of the time accurately.
Same, this past weekend I did 200 miles total (100 on Saturday and 100 Sunday.) Engaged only on the highway. I only did a manual override for a section of highway that was curvy and the car was slowing down due to the steering angle. (Too conservative and the car slowed more than 10mph, but the corners didn't need it.)

Otherwise was great the whole time.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use the built in lka and acc extensively on my 2019 with no complaints. Highways do not generally have steep curves here. What are the real benefits to openpilot vs the built in system?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use the built in lka and acc extensively on my 2019 with no complaints. Highways do not generally have steep curves here. What are the real benefits to openpilot vs the built in system?
For the average user the stock system works okay with nags. OpenPilot can run for long periods of time without requiring you to touch the wheel. It does include driver monitoring so it is checking to make sure you are looking at the road and not looking out the window, sleeping, or using your phone. That said, you do not need to touch the wheel with it engaged versus the stock system.

OpenPilot uses a vision model versus depending on lane lines. Yesterday when I was using it, I encountered a section of road where there were no lane lines, but I was following a vehicle. OpenPilot uses a vision model that can keep the vehicle engaged during these segments of road. I have to admit, while I was impressed that OpenPilot made it through the segment of road with no lines or markers, I was ready to take control as I was unsure if it would make it.

It can also estimate lane positioning based on a single lane marker on the left or right, where as the stock system struggles with these situations.

There's a video posted somewhere in the thread where someone compares Toyota's TSS2 versus OpenPilot so you can see the differences in real world scenarios.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anything that enhances the Rav4H experience is super cool, like the upgrades from 3rd party support, its nice to have options like this vrs none, it looks real promising especially using BSM in the system, nice to see the small guy with smarts doing it better. It adds value to my XSE purchase the info from this forum.I've enjoyed this forum, lotsa usefull info from super simple to High Tech, something for everyone, yea baby. God Bless America have a great 2020 all you Rav4Hyb drivers,

·
Registered
188 Posts
Would there be a performance difference if its on an older RAV4 with TSS v1 compared to a newer Rav4 with TSS V2?
The older RAV4 TSS1 has limitations that don't exist with the TSS2. Specifically the new one can do stop and go without any special changes to the vehicle at all.

I'm not sure about required changes to the old RAV4 to make it comparable to the TSS2. There is a community supported feature called the pedal, which would enable such functionality but it does not come from comma directly.

There's also probably some difference in the steering smoothness, as the older TSS1 vehicles use a different steering angle sensor than the TSS2.

Also, there's a new version of the comma hardware available as of Jan 20th. They announced it at CES.

You could ask for specifics on the TSS stuff in their discord chat room, someone there would be able to more thoroughly answer the question.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Tesla autopilot vs Openpilot with Corolla :)

Reactions: Schnapps

·
Registered
556 Posts
Newly released Comma Two is nice. OpenPilot can detect cut in traffic (V0.7.1), slow down when making big turn and assistance in changing lanes, etc. One can also get 4 days front and rear video, saving another set of dashcam.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use OP on a 2020 hybrid, my commute is roughly 400 miles a week (200 miles, two times a week). OP is engaged 80-90% of the time; the commute is all highway. When I think of the commute, I don’t think I would have taken the job if it wasn’t for some autopilot. I was looking at Tesla initially but didn’t want to pay $45k for a car that would be “ruined” by the highway (rock chips and all). I then bought a 2019 Prius prime with OP and did the commute, 200 miles a day, 4-5 days a week, for about 3-4 months. Then my job let me work from home 3 days a week, so that’s when I trade the Prius for a rav4 (I wanted something more comfortable, yet still economic). All in all, I have about 30k miles with OP engaged (the system tracks how much you use it). For me, it works really well and now I can’t imagine driving long distance with out.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I use OP on a 2020 hybrid, my commute is roughly 400 miles a week (200 miles, two times a week). OP is engaged 80-90% of the time; the commute is all highway. When I think of the commute, I don’t think I would have taken the job if it wasn’t for some autopilot. I was looking at Tesla initially but didn’t want to pay $45k for a car that would be “ruined” by the highway (rock chips and all). I then bought a 2019 Prius prime with OP and did the commute, 200 miles a day, 4-5 days a week, for about 3-4 months. Then my job let me work from home 3 days a week, so that’s when I trade the Prius for a rav4 (I wanted something more comfortable, yet still economic). All in all, I have about 30k miles with OP engaged (the system tracks how much you use it). For me, it works really well and now I can’t imagine driving long distance with out.
Tbh you can do the same with built-in Toyota system, I use it on freeway all the time and it's fine for long trips, so I don't see huge benefit for OP in that scenario which doesn't change lanes like Tesla can do now and I doubt it will ever be able to do that without additional sensors/cameras. The factory system however lacks for city driving, dynamic cruise is fine, but lane tracing isn't designed for it and that's where I would expect to benefit from OP.

Reactions: Schnapps

·
Registered
9 Posts
I briefly had a 2019 Prius Prime that had the safety sense package. The lane keep in my 2020 Rav4 Hybrid is far more aggressive, enough that basically no inputs are needed on the highway other than an occasional tap of the steering wheel when it complains. That was not at all the case with the Prius which had much weaker steering assistance --- a slight turn was enough to overwhelm the system. The adaptive cruise is largely the same. I might still be in the honeymoon phase, but the improved lane keep in the Rav4 is all that I see myself needing. Since my eyes have to be on the road anyway I don't mind looking for red lights, stop signs, and making lane changes. I'm not really sure what the end game is for these semi-autonomous systems. They still require your attention...you don't want at least a couple tasks to occupy yourself?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I briefly had a 2019 Prius Prime that had the safety sense package. The lane keep in my 2020 Rav4 Hybrid is far more aggressive, enough that basically no inputs are needed on the highway other than an occasional tap of the steering wheel when it complains. That was not at all the case with the Prius which had much weaker steering assistance --- a slight turn was enough to overwhelm the system. The adaptive cruise is largely the same. I might still be in the honeymoon phase, but the improved lane keep in the Rav4 is all that I see myself needing. Since my eyes have to be on the road anyway I don't mind looking for red lights, stop signs, and making lane changes. I'm not really sure what the end game is for these semi-autonomous systems. They still require your attention...you don't want at least a couple tasks to occupy yourself?
I think because Prius Prime has TSS 1.0

·
Registered
22 Posts
Openpilot is now plug and play for the hybrids - such a good upgrade. I can do 1,000km without touching the wheel or pedals, get to the other end ready to go instead of tired and miserable.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts