1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
611 Posts
What specific issue? Fires? Lurching? Bad headlights? Those are just the first page of google hits!

Wild guess: You’re referring to fueling?

There are always multiple class action “investigations” for every car you can name. Most of them are fishing expeditions that go nowhere.

EDIT: Ok, lurching. ;)

·
Registered
611 Posts
About 6 or 7 years ago I responded to one of those class action solicitations for an issue with the VW Touareg (not the diesel cheat). It never got off the ground. VW did eventually fix the problem.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The title says pretty much everything, wondering what you heard from the firm.
Class action investigation I am referring is about transmission lurching. I was wondering If anyone participated on this firm website:
You realize this issue has been completely fixed by a software update right? I cant think of anyone here who isnt satisfied and the 2020s arent affected at all.

Have you had the update and it didnt fix the problem?

·
Registered
417 Posts
You realize this issue has been completely fixed by a software update right? I cant think of anyone here who isnt satisfied and the 2020s arent affected at all.

Have you had the update and it didnt fix the problem?
I don't consider the software update a "complete fix". In my case the hesitation and lurch and hard shift on stop did go away, but it wasn't a "fix" by any stretch of the imagination. It is simply a workaround that avoids triggering the symptoms. This was never a software problem, as many other vehicles with the same original software perform perfectly fine without the updated software. It's a mechanical issue in the transmission itself, meaning the root cause is still lurking. And while the symptoms mentioned on my vehicle went away, I'm experiencing other glitchy shifting issues on random occasions. It doesn't bode well, and it would not surprise me if I (and other affected vehicles) had serious problems down the road.

·
Registered
417 Posts
And for these lawyers to use the term unintended acceleration is sickening.

Wtf? I mean that isnt the condition and no one has reported that. What is wrong with those people?
Lurching, lunging, quick acceleration. Within context, it's all the same. What's the problem? (I'm just going off of the title, I don't care to read it right now.)
Something like this could have easily sent my vehicle into the rear of another while trying to merge in heavy traffic. It's already thrown me around, once at night while making a u-turn in the dark which was very disorienting after a mind-numbing day at work, and various other times. Toyota's response has been craptastic.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I’m a little behind on this issue...

Is the 8-speed a DSG, direct shift gearbox? Or a conventional automatic? Wikipedia says DSG. I’ve owned several VW DSGs including a new GTI. DSGs do not behave like conventional transmissions. If you’re new to DSG, it may seem weird. Or there could be something wrong. Now I really want to drive one to see how it compares to a VW DSG.

If it’s not a DSG, disregard.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't consider the software update a "complete fix". In my case the hesitation and lurch and hard shift on stop did go away, but it wasn't a "fix" by any stretch of the imagination. It is simply a workaround that avoids triggering the symptoms. This was never a software problem, as many other vehicles with the same original software perform perfectly fine without the updated software. It's a mechanical issue in the transmission itself, meaning the root cause is still lurking. And while the symptoms mentioned on my vehicle went away, I'm experiencing other glitchy shifting issues on random occasions. It doesn't bode well, and it would not surprise me if I (and other affected vehicles) had serious problems down the road.
I'm sorry I was under the impression the TSB made shift quality quite good.

You are the only person I've heard about on here that isnt pleased with the fix

If you are still having problems get your repair attempts in and do a buyback.

You sound worried the transmission will explode at 50k.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The TSB improved it for me, but also introduced a bug that wasn't there before. As I've posted on this forum earlier, the reprogramming did improve my second gear lurching issue. It was a real pain because it would hesitate to downshift into second when going up a hill or taking off from a rolling stop, thus the "thunk" or hard jerk when it engaged under load. Now after the reprogramming, the trans won't downshift into first unless the car is pretty much stopped. However, it's only been a problem driving up my steep driveway into my garage, so I work around the issue by just coming to a full stop, then proceeding. If this is the ONLY bug so far, I'm pretty satisfied with the operation of the trans right now. I've had no trouble driving around traffic and rarely hit that one bug at all in most driving conditions. Let's just say that I wouldn't even try to have it reprogrammed back to original, if that was even possible. I might just go to my dealer and drive a 2020 for the heck of it just to see if there's much of a difference.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is all I could find on it from Toyota. They do call it a Direct Shift, although that's not very technical. The way it shifts IMO seems to speak volumes to me that it feels like a DSG trans. Scroll down to the transmission specs. They call it a Direct Shift 8-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) and sequential shift mode. Needs a more in depth explanation for people who want to know. The Hybrid of course has an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is this a DSG Direct Shift Gearbox? Sorry but I gots to know now.
Its a normal 8 speed automatic slush box - but its coupled to a new torque converter that locks between all gears. So no, its not a dual clutch or direct shift - if that is what you mean, but since the torque converter locks in every gear, the shifts feel a little harsh comparative to a normal torque converter, especially under load.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Is it a brand new design? Or has it been around for a while?

I had a 2009 VW Jetta TDI with a DSG that behaved similarly to what’s been described here and in other threads. Owners referred to the “slingshot effect” when starting from a stop, random lurching and jerking at low speeds, etc. My Jetta did randomly demonstrate all those symptoms. Most of the time it was fine but not always.

Later iterations of VWs DSG have been much improved. I don’t know if it’s through mechanical or software changes. Probably both. But even at their best DSGs do exhibit behaviors very different from conventional automatics. Some of it is completely normal but may be perceived as being “wrong” if you’ve never lived with one.

Now back to you guys. Just had to throw that out.

·
Registered
517 Posts
All brainless fools...
What do you mean? The TSB does or does not work?

Nearly everyone says it's a great fix. Yet these two guys say it sucks. Who are the brainless fools? Those who say we need a class action because the trans is defective or those who say the fix is good?

I'm considering doing a buyback of my hybrid and getting gas but these guys say the trans is horrible

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
What do you mean? The TSB does or does not work?

Nearly everyone says it's a great fix. Yet these two guys say it sucks. Who are the brainless fools? Those who say we need a class action because the trans is defective or those who say the fix is good?

I'm considering doing a buyback of my hybrid and getting gas but these guys say the trans is horrible
Each person evaluates the "problems" differently. If the gas bugs you but maybe the shifting wont. Who knows. I would say go drive a gas one on one of your normal commutes to see if its tolerable or noticeable. I would review the lurching thread to see how people explain the issue and how it shows up so you can be aware of what to look for on the test drive.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm just super disappointed because these guys say the fix is a failure so either I'm stuck with our 2019 hybrid or a defective trans. Cfike says its going to fail and wont last long term. That doesnt bode well

1 - 20 of 37 Posts