Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm just super disappointed because these guys say the fix is a failure so either I'm stuck with our 2019 hybrid or a defective trans. Cfike says its going to fail and wont last long term. That doesnt bode well
What makes Cfike anything other than a basic consumer like the rest of the folks on this board? You are hanging on a lot of assumptions, and you know what they say about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's hilarious. A fix isn't a fix because it's just "hiding" the problem. Get real. It's software controlling shifting, when the software was updated, it shifted smooth as could be. Except for these 2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You realize this issue has been completely fixed by a software update right? I cant think of anyone here who isnt satisfied and the 2020s arent affected at all.

Have you had the update and it didnt fix the problem?
I did mine fix a few month ago, but it did not fix the transmission problem at all.

I might try other dealer service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's hilarious. A fix isn't a fix because it's just "hiding" the problem. Get real. It's software controlling shifting, when the software was updated, it shifted smooth as could be. Except for these 2.
Well it did not work for me. Still lurches from low speed

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for posting. I didnt really see anything in your video. Is your shifting really bad?

Are you going to do a lemon law or buyback?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for posting. I didnt really see anything in your video. Is your shifting really bad?

Are you going to do a lemon law or buyback?
You don't have to watch the whole clip, starting from 1:00 watch the rpm how it jumps up all of sudden.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I saw it. Didnt seem like a big deal to me. Are you selling, doing lemon law or a buyback?
I am trying to get 2nd update from different location. If 2nd update does not go well, I guess I need look for lemon law. In that case, I have no idea where to begin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2¢ worth is this in fact a few cars that had a software issue? Or is it a hardware issue that is being masked by a software patch? Toyota needs to be forth coming and tell us what the issue is before I will spend my hard earned money on one of these vehicles!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am trying to get 2nd update from different location. If 2nd update does not go well, I guess I need look for lemon law. In that case, I have no idea where to begin.
Good luck. Dont get a
My 2¢ worth is this in fact a few cars that had a software issue? Or is it a hardware issue that is being masked by a software patch? Toyota needs to be forth coming and tell us what the issue is before I will spend my hard earned money on one of these vehicles!
You'll never get answers so just buy a Honda, mazda, ford or some other brand

·
Registered
637 Posts
I watched the video but
I went to the dealership in the morning and I uploaded a video later the day.

Watching the video it’s hard for me to understand everything that’s happening. I can see the RPM jump around but without knowing what else was going on, it doesn’t necessarily tell me anything. Maybe there’s an audio explanation that I can’t hear because I’m in a noisy Starbucks right now. lol. Honestly what that looks like to me is very similar to how my GTI with the DSG behaves. Slowing, turning, speeding up, the RPMs jump around with a DSG because it’s like shifting with a manual transmission. If the car is in Sport mode, it’s even more pronounced.

As I said earlier, I really want to drive one with an 8-speed now so I can see if its behavior is similar to a DSG.

Not making light of anyone’s predicament. Just trying to understand what’s happening.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As I said earlier, I really want to drive one with an 8-speed now so I can see if its behavior is similar to a DSG.

Not making light of anyone’s predicament. Just trying to understand what’s happening.
Having owned both (DSG and 2019 Rav), I can tell you there are minimal similarities other than quick downshifting and idle roll forward (which is a little more aggressive than typical transmissions). DSG have quite a bit of startup lag, especially from a stop, this was even apparent on the MK7.5 Golf R. I do not experience this in the Rav.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Is it a brand new design? Or has it been around for a while?

I had a 2009 VW Jetta TDI with a DSG that behaved similarly to what’s been described here and in other threads. Owners referred to the “slingshot effect” when starting from a stop, random lurching and jerking at low speeds, etc. My Jetta did randomly demonstrate all those symptoms. Most of the time it was fine but not always.

Later iterations of VWs DSG have been much improved. I don’t know if it’s through mechanical or software changes. Probably both. But even at their best DSGs do exhibit behaviors very different from conventional automatics. Some of it is completely normal but may be perceived as being “wrong” if you’ve never lived with one.

Now back to you guys. Just had to throw that out.
OK, I will try to be brief, but its complex.

The 8 speed is new, but its really not much different than every other automatic trans built in the last 10 years. Really nothing to see here.

The torque converter - i'll abbreviate as TC - is new. It locks between every gear. 2 results - so on each shift it needs to unlock - allow shift - and lock back up. So you can feel each shift - comparatively to other transmissions - but if your transmission works properly its not really much. Its also a learning transmission so it can vary by owner.

So when mine was right off the lot - coasting to a stop sign it would hold 3rd gear - presumably fuel savings. If I didn't make a complete stop - so rolling stop below 5mph - and then went immediately from brake to gas hard - it would drop from 3rd to first, and with the TC lock and unlock - it caused sort of a lurch. Think of it as shifting a manual from 3rd to first and dumping the clutch. It felt a little like that, but not as harsh. Even new mine wasn't bad, and it has since gone away. The initial solution was to pause maybe half a second between brake and gas, and allow the downshift to happen - then gas. And it really was half a second or less. However after just a couple hundred miles I could only make this happen, and only a minor jerk - if I really, really try hard. So obviously it has somehow learned not to do this. I assume it either downshifts earlier, or slows the TC lock, or both.

If I took my car to the dealer and they followed the TSB - they should tell me I don't need the update - and they would be correct.

So, others had issue with the lunge not going away - hence the software update. If you read the TSB, there are a number of things that it has to be doing for the update to be pertinent - basically the behavior described doesn't get any better over time. It could be a a mask of potential other "issue" but its likely simply that particular transmission is slightly out of tolerance - and I don't think it automatically means that transmission is going to fail sooner. Every auto transmission ever built varies slightly from one to the next. If you had a normal Auto and it shifted 200 RPM +/- spec - you likely would never notice it. I think the complexity of the learning trans and locking TC probably make those more visible in this model. Speculation on my part of course.

Others - like Sunken - had far larger issues - that were far more significant than the lunge. Those were just lemons. It happens, especially on very early builds. I think those were a very, very small number.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts