Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Moon.. Yeah that is the same thing we have all been talking about in other threads.. Usually it is made by 3M or Avery..

I would NOT recommend buying it and installing it yourself..

I just got a kit put on, if you want more info on the installer let me know.. He is in Burr Ridge.. Nice guy.. Reasonable price compared to what some have paid for in our forums and other places I have called..

A

·
0 Posts
I got the 3M paint protector installed and I think it works out great.
I hope this saves the paint from those annoying rock chips that accumulate on the hood.
:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had mine put on last week, finally, and it puts me a little more at ease regarding chips from rocks. Looks great, but I don't think I would tackle it myself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't buy a pre-cut kit

I hightly suggest staying away from pre-cut kits of the clear bra material. We have a pre-cut kit on my wife's Camry and it is not a perfect fit...except maybe in the mind of the person that cut it.

The pre-cut kits do not wrap around the body panel edges. They leave about 1/8" to 1/4" gap of unprotected paint at edge edge.

On our Rav, the installer cut the pieces as he went and wrapped the film around all body panel edges...he even removed the grill to leave nothing unprotected.

It looks so much better than the film on the Camry.

Having watched the installs on both my vehicles, I wouldn't even consider doing it myself. It took a trained installer 5 hours to install the film on the Rav 4 and there are a few tricks that only someone whose done it would know about that make it easier.

The film is definitely worth installing for long term protection, but installation looks to be a majo pain.

Good Luck!

James

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I took a jump and ordered a full kit for RAV4 ($39 delivered). I'll keep you posted.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Update:
It was almost too good to be true.
I got the film, it is good quality, labeled GMI. The precut lines were unfortunately not very precise. Maybe I was lacking the skills or patience but was not able to put the film on the hood in one piece. It would be wavy at the contoured lines. I ended up cutting it to 3 pieces to make it fit. It's not a very big deal as you can't see the film on the hood but it's not a professional job and the front edges are not 100% protected. I also tried to put the bumper protector part and failed miserably. The precut lines were off up to 1''. I even tried to streach and used dryer to no avail.
I will try to get a partial refund. Wish me luck.
In summary: cannot recommend this one.

A

·
0 Posts
I believe these coatings detract from the 'look' and thus we declined to consider it. Sure there will be rock chips but nothing a tube of touch up paint won't cure. To each their own though...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I believe these coatings detract from the 'look' and thus we declined to consider it. Sure there will be rock chips but nothing a tube of touch up paint won't cure.
If done properly by a professional you would never know it's even there. I wish I had gotten one before my first road trip a week ago. I got several dings. Touch up paint can only do so much.

Kits from 3M cost between $300-500. So I wouldn't expect much from one that just cost $39.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts