Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day i went to Ikea and bought something large, i went to close the hatch by the button and didn't realize the package was sticking just a tad too far out. The hatch went down and hit it and beeped and stopped.

Now the hatch refuses to open or close by the button on the hatch, interior or on the remote. I have to manually pull and push. Beeping the entire time i do this.

I've tried looking for the button in the glove box, i don't see one, i did remove the glove box. I also tried a procedure of locking the doors, starting the car, shutting the car off ect. Nothing.

I'm due for an oil change in 800 miles, but i would prefer to have a working hatch now. So before i call Toyota...i figured i'd ask. Is there something else i can do to try and fix this? I'm sure its very simple. I don't believe anything is broken.

·
Registered
551 Posts
So the other day i went to Ikea and bought something large, i went to close the hatch by the button and didn't realize the package was sticking just a tad too far out. The hatch went down and hit it and beeped and stopped.

Now the hatch refuses to open or close by the button on the hatch, interior or on the remote. I have to manually pull and push. Beeping the entire time i do this.

I've tried looking for the button in the glove box, i don't see one, i did remove the glove box. I also tried a procedure of locking the doors, starting the car, shutting the car off ect. Nothing.

I'm due for an oil change in 800 miles, but i would prefer to have a working hatch now. So before i call Toyota...i figured i'd ask. Is there something else i can do to try and fix this? I'm sure its very simple. I don't believe anything is broken.
Did you try disconnecting the 12v auxiliary battery?
That might reset the hatch door memory settings.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Have you checked the 30A PBD fuse (power back door fuse) in the "behind the instrument panel" fuse box. Not to be confused with the "under the instrument panel" fuse box

See the 4th image in the attached PDF file.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The beeping is probably controlled by the PBD ECU, which is powered by a different fuse.

This other fuse powers several things other than the PBD, and since the OP didn't mention any other problems I excluded that fuse as being the cause of the problem.

Probably the PBD position sensors see the door move without the ECU making the request ( i.e. manual over-ride) , and sounds the alert tone.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts

There is another thread here, discussing how (surprisingly), delicate this auto close mechanism is, in the rear hatch. Let us know how you get this resolved. Sounds like it can occur fairly easily.

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
It's very possible, maybe probable, that something in the mechanism got bent or damaged when the package stopped the door so now the ECU detects that as a permanent error.
My daughter's 2012 Highlander developed a problem with the system where the pivot on the hatch started to come loose. That did enough damage that the entire hatch door had to be replaced. Only thru some tough negotiations did Toyota agree to cover it.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
To be honest, a automatically closing hatch, provides no benefit for me, and would have been something I avoided, if possible. Even before reading the threads here, about issues with it, I saw it as something which would likely fail, and require unnecessary additional maintenance, down the line. I believe the hydraulic cylinders, provide the assistance, and safety, most anyone needs. That being said, I realize, there are people who do need it, and it will likely add to the resale value (if it's still working).

·
Registered
428 Posts
To be honest, a automatically closing hatch, provides no benefit for me, and would have been something I avoided, if possible. Even before reading the threads here, about issues with it, I saw it as something which would likely fail, and require unnecessary additional maintenance, down the line. I believe the hydraulic cylinders, provide the assistance, and safety, most anyone needs. That being said, I realize, there are people who do need it, and it will likely add to the resale value (if it's still working).
I agree. If it had been an option for my SE I would have not gotten it myself. It is slower, and not necessary for the majority of people, and potential for issue is increased having it.
Now since there is no real choice within the package , we need to know how to avoid problems so I'll be watching for where this goes as well.

How long have the SE and Unlimited been using the powered hatch as a non optional accessory anyone know? Hopefully 2016 is not first year.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
How long have the SE and Unlimited been using the powered hatch as a non optional accessory anyone know? Hopefully 2016 is not first year.
Since 2013. Curious where this thread goes as well since I've heard of this issue before. I've been paranoid about having the lift gate either not work or get jammed against something as well.

The manual says this, "If anything obstructs the power back door while it is closing/opening, the back door will automatically operate in the opposite direction or stop".
Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about how to get it operating properly again.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
The last option from the 2015 manual may help.

[FONT="Arial]Jam protection function (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

If anything obstructs the power back door while it is closing/opening, the back
door will automatically operate in the opposite direction or stop.

[FONT="Arial]When reconnecting the battery (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

To enable the power back door to operate properly, close the back door manually.

[FONT="Arial]Back door closer (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

In the event that the back door is left slightly open, the back door closer will
automatically close it to the fully closed position.

[FONT="Arial]Fall-down protection function (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

While the power back door is opening automatically, applying excessive force
to it will stop the opening operation to prevent the power back door from suddenly
shutting.

[FONT="Arial]Back door closing assist (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

If the back door is lowered manually when the back door is stopped at an
open position, the back door will fully close automatically.

[FONT="Arial]Canceling the adjusted open position of the back door (vehicles with a[/FONT]
[FONT="Arial]power back door)[/FONT]

Press and hold the power back door switch on the back door until the buzzer
sounds 4 times, pauses momentarily, and then sounds 2 times. The open
position is initialized to the fully opened position.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
The last option from the 2015 manual may help.

[FONT="Arial]Jam protection function (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

If anything obstructs the power back door while it is closing/opening, the back
door will automatically operate in the opposite direction or stop.

[FONT="Arial]When reconnecting the battery (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

To enable the power back door to operate properly, close the back door manually.

[FONT="Arial]Back door closer (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

In the event that the back door is left slightly open, the back door closer will
automatically close it to the fully closed position.

[FONT="Arial]Fall-down protection function (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

While the power back door is opening automatically, applying excessive force
to it will stop the opening operation to prevent the power back door from suddenly
shutting.

[FONT="Arial]Back door closing assist (vehicles with a power back door)[/FONT]

If the back door is lowered manually when the back door is stopped at an
open position, the back door will fully close automatically.

[FONT="Arial]Canceling the adjusted open position of the back door (vehicles with a[/FONT]
[FONT="Arial]power back door)[/FONT]

Press and hold the power back door switch on the back door until the buzzer
position is initialized to the fully opened position.

Thanks. The more I learn about this door, the more I dislike it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delayed response. The fuse is fine. If i open the hatch and press the button it does move maybe half an inch, but beeps the entire time and stops.

I would unplug the battery, but would that reset all the radio functions and all that?

I may just wait until my oil change...I now only have about 500-600 miles till its due...so another week and i should be in for service.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
I'm glad I have the "old fashioned" side closing cargo door. If my hands are full, I can close it with my butt!

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. The fuse is fine. If i open the hatch and press the button it does move maybe half an inch, but beeps the entire time and stops.

I would unplug the battery, but would that reset all the radio functions and all that?

I may just wait until my oil change...I now only have about 500-600 miles till its due...so another week and i should be in for service.
Have you tried the information Quickdtoo posted?

"Press and hold the power back door switch on the back door until the buzzer
position is initialized to the fully opened position".

Seems like this is worth a try. Thanks for keeping us informed, since any of us may be dealing with this issue, at some point.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks. The more I learn about this door, the more I dislike it.
Same here. Is there a way to bypass auto and make this manual?
I find the auto hatch too slow and have to remember to move back quickly when it opens. Then I have to remember to lock car again.

Reactions: blueumbrella

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you tried the information Quickdtoo posted?

"Press and hold the power back door switch on the back door until the buzzer
position is initialized to the fully opened position".

Seems like this is worth a try. Thanks for keeping us informed, since any of us may be dealing with this issue, at some point.
Yes, it didn't work either. :(

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Make sure they tell you how they fixed it instead of just sending you on your way. It's ridiculous that the anti jam "feature" renders the door inoperable. Please keep us informed of the progress.

One question. Does the door latch itself when you close it by hand and can you still open it normally?

·
Registered
87 Posts
For what it's worth, we were loading something into our 2016 Rav4 Hybrid and the hatchback wouldn't shut all the way due to the size of what was there and was preventing the door from closing all the way. We just opened it back up, moved the object around some, pressed the button, and it closed normally after that. It does sound like something went wrong or was damaged when yours wouldn't close.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
There was a few reports of this issue when the HV first came out. I think it was down to a faulty controller board in the back end somewhere. There may be a SB for that issue, if the dealer is smart enough to look for it. There are a couple of old threads about this here.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts