Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm seriously considering a RAV4 Hybrid XLE. One of the local dealers gave me a loaner for a couple of hours so I could take it home to see how my road bike fit inside. I'm fairly tall with a larger road bike. I mounted the bike (front wheel removed) on a front fork bike mount plate. With the bike seat removed and handlebars lowered it fit :) and I think I could actually fit two such bikes with some luggage for longer trips (would need to remove pedals to provide room for luggage).

Anyone else have experience they would like to share on traveling with luggage and bikes inside the Hybrid? Also, has anyone installed a hitch mount and bike rack on back? What kind of MPG hit did you take when the bikes were on the hitch; i.e. hit to highway mpg?

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is video of accessories available in Europe.
Maybe the same bicycle holders are available in your area ?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Since it comes with roof rails and optional cross bars, any reason not to use a roof rack bike mount?

·
Registered
423 Posts
GP_in_SD, I'm surprised you have to remove the seats/pedals and lower the handlebars to fit your bikes inside. You must be way, way taller than I am. I'm 6'3" and ride 59cm frames. My road bike fits fine inside, (un-adjusted), and I can put my lady friend's bike inside on top of it, (with an old blanket between). There is still room, with creative packing, for plenty of luggage for a weekend trip.

In any case, I'll mention my experiences with 'externally mounted' bikes and long-distance trips. Have made several trips from SoCal to North Idaho/Montana with my bikes. Last time, I took two bikes, one on top, one on a rear hitch rack, (cross bike and road bike). On interstate trips, I keep pretty close to the maximum posted speed limit.

With the bike on the rear hitch rack, I did not notice any degradation in gas consumption. None at all. Almost like the bike wasn't even there. Only concern is security, so I used two heavy cables to secure the wheels and bike frame. Mind your front wheel. If not secured, as you know, it is pretty simple and quick to remove it and walk off.

With a bike mounted on the roof rack, I also did not notice any loss either. Going through windy areas gave me pause for concern, but I need not have worried. Fork mounts are pretty secure. However, I sure did pick up a lot of bugs! Took me several hours to clean the bike to my satisfaction. If you are going to travel with your bike/bikes on top, get one of those bug guards that you attach to your handlebars and cover the headtube and forks.

A bike on the back stays pretty clean, unless you go through some rain/slush/mud. It'll get pretty dirty then.

Good luck. When I move to Idaho next month, I'll need to haul my vast stable. Will have to put two on top, two on the back, and two inside. (I'll have to make two trips!)

Reactions: Iero1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks volosong,
Very good info.

I certainly could have gotten two bikes inside by laying them down but by having them upright on fork mounts, pedals off and one on each side wall left plenty of space between for lots of luggage. That was my thinking.

Good to hear little or no mileage hit for a hitch mount bike rack. I'll probably add that at some point. I've never felt comfortable with roof rack mounts after a friend had a bad experience in high cross winds but that's just a personal issues :)

Heading to Ragbrai for about the 20th time this summer hopefully in a new RAV4 hybrid!

GP

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
FYI...volosong doesn't have a Hybrid, so the cargo fit inside will be different due to the traction battery hump and folded seat back angle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I'm seriously considering a RAV4 Hybrid XLE. One of the local dealers gave me a loaner for a couple of hours so I could take it home to see how my road bike fit inside. I'm fairly tall with a larger road bike. I mounted the bike (front wheel removed) on a front fork bike mount plate. With the bike seat removed and handlebars lowered it fit :) and I think I could actually fit two such bikes with some luggage for longer trips (would need to remove pedals to provide room for luggage).

Anyone else have experience they would like to share on traveling with luggage and bikes inside the Hybrid? Also, has anyone installed a hitch mount and bike rack on back? What kind of MPG hit did you take when the bikes were on the hitch; i.e. hit to highway mpg?

Thanks
We have a 2016 Limited Hybrid. Last fall, we did a 2000 mile round trip from central California to Yellowstone National Park carrying two bikes on a hitch rack (Curt hitch and Saris rack). The mileage was about 1 mpg less than other highway trips we have taken without the bikes. But that small a difference could well be due to conditions (wind, terrain, etc) other than carrying the bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts