Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'ma get bashed for this but, I'm seriously thinking about doing the trade. I'm losing a lot with the Loss I'm about to swallow , 4runner being more expensive, and gas is more of a guzzler. But I'm trading in for Looks, extreme durability, and build quality(4runner feels more solid).

Would you pull trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
well first thing is you are not going to get bashed by me. My only question is what are you going to use the 4Runner for? For me, having the hybrid RAV4 is for practicality since I have an extreme commute everyday. I'm not sure of your circumstances, where you are going, or what you will be doing with it, so it is tough to decide. If you are going to be driving on dirt roads and climbing hills in the woods often, the the 4Runner is your choice. I like the power and the off road system in the 4Runner, but I cannot see myself driving 160 miles a day in it either. At the end of the day it is up to you so weigh your options and decide.:smile

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well first thing is you are not going to get bashed by me. My only question is what are you going to use the 4Runner for? For me, having the hybrid RAV4 is for practicality since I have an extreme commute everyday. I'm not sure of your circumstances, where you are going, or what you will be doing with it, so it is tough to decide. If you are going to be driving on dirt roads and climbing hills in the . woods often, the the 4Runner is your choice. I like the power and the off road system in the 4Runner, but I cannot see myself driving 160 miles a day in it either. At the end of the day it is up to you so weigh your options and decide.:smile

I won't be driving in mountain roads etc as I live in Houston. It's just that IMO the 4R looks good, reliability is undeniable. :(

·
Registered
229 Posts
I won't be driving in mountain roads etc as I live in Houston. It's just that IMO the 4R looks good, reliability is undeniable. :(

I completely agree with you on reliability. If I could have had a 4R here in PA in these mountains with the snow in winter I would. I love going outdoors too, but these are things that the RAV4 can do as well. It has truly been great as I get the best of both worlds in terms of gas savings and off road capability. I get it that the RAV is not a beast like the 4R, but it is totally capable. Why did you by the RAV if you don't mind me asking? For me, my wife was there and I had to be realistic and stop fantasizing, especially considering we have plans to expand>:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely agree with you on reliability. If I could have had a 4R here in PA in these mountains with the snow in winter I would. I love going outdoors too, but these are things that the RAV4 can do as well. It has truly been great as I get the best of both worlds in terms of gas savings and off road capability. I get it that the RAV is not a beast like the 4R, but it is totally capable. Why did you by the RAV if you don't mind me asking? For me, my wife was there and I had to be realistic and stop fantasizing, especially considering we have plans to expand>:D

Cost of gas and cheaper value. but now I'm stomping myself since gas is low(somehow) and 4runner just looks too damn good

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cost of gas and cheaper value. but now I'm stomping myself since gas is low(somehow) and 4runner just looks too damn good

At some point, they will jack up the gas prices again. Who knows how long that will take. IMO we are prepared driving hybrids. I would say create a flow chart of the pros and cons foe both vehicles. My flowchart consisted of 3. The RAV4 won hands down, but once I got to the dealership I could not stop looking at the Highlander and 4R. In the end, we went with the best bargain and I really like our decision. I am sure you had a good reason to buy your RAV4 as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
No one can predict what the best move for you is. Just make sure if you do the swap, you won't be wishing you hadn't 6 or 12 months later. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We own both right now. RAV4 limited 2010, v6. And a 2007 T4R v8 limited. Wife loves the v6 in hers, and I love my V8. Depends on what you are after. Durability, power, towing, off road? T4R. Mild mannered winter friendly urban cruiser? RAV4. Passenger room is similar, and cargo is not that much different. (Yes, different, but not light years)

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
Loose your shirt for good looks? Who is to say the reliability is better than the hybrid? My neighbor has a new 4 runner. For its external size it is cramped inside and he has commented more than once about the dismal miles per gallon in town. That's in a city about 11 times smaller than Houston!!

Now if you plan to conquer trails, tow 5000 lbs, and need more ground clearance on a regular basis it might make sense. If it's just for the cool factor it makes no sense to me but it's not my money either.

Why did you buy the RAV4 in the first place?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
... I'm seriously thinking about doing the trade. I'm losing a lot with the Loss I'm about to swallow , 4runner being more expensive, and gas is more of a guzzler. But I'm trading in for Looks, extreme durability, and build quality(4runner feels more solid).

Would you pull trigger?
Depends on which way the gun is pointed. Personally, I prefer not be unnecessarily in debt over the car or truck I drive. But if your priority is to have a cool vehicle, then do the financial math and decide if the pain of the loss and being more in debt is worth it. To me, debt really sucks.

But its your money. Maybe your loss won't be as much as you think since the RAV hybrid is in demand, and you are staying in brand. Maybe a dealer would work with you and you can swallow a couple grand.

Sometimes a vehicle purchase just doesn't work out. It happened to me with a new 07 Camry. I endured the car for a couple of years and finally traded it at a loss. I was willing to wait for the right opportunity and limited the hit. So glad to get the '09 RAV, still happy 6 years later.

Now my only dilemma is--I plan to keep the 09 a couple more years--but I test drove a RAV hybrid. So that itchy trigger finger to buy is in play, not unlike your desire for the 4Runner, I guess.

I...can...resist...:ponder:

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
I echo RTexasF's comments. And if you plan to drive for relatively few miles annually then one could probably buy a gas guzzler and the fuel cost wouldn't be outrageous, but if one needs to drive many more miles each year, then from that perspective it would make more sense to have a fuel-efficient vehicle. If one wants to do some off-roading then the 4Runner obviously would be more practical than would a RAV. I wouldn't buy any vehicle simply for a feel-good factor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you guys think having a hybrid in the long run would cost more in maintenance than having a regular gas car

·
Registered
419 Posts
What is an R4H -Hybrid RAV4 and what year ?

Wife has a 2008 RAV4 Limited, v6 (Gen3) 3.5L / 3,500# tow capacity.
I have a 2000 4Runner SR5, v6 (Gen3) 3.4L / 5,200# tow capacity.
- we bought the RAV4 before I found my mint-1 senior owner T4R
I'm planning to keep her RAV4 for 4 years / my full frame SUV with HD-truck 4x4, will keep +15 years.
- wife's vehicle will be upgraded to our sons 2015 Lexus RX350
- my old 4Runner will be used to pull a 24 ft. camper trailer, in retirement

I actually think the RAV4 is just a tad short, on wheel base / a v6 Highlander or Lexus SUV, is more to my liking.
- saw a mint 2008 4Runner Sport Edition and it really caught my eye / 7,200# tow capacity with 4.0L
I am a truck guy, so I don't mind a bit longer SUV & full frame / but nothing like a Escalade boat, with 3rd row seating.
- even the 2016 Lexus RX350 is about 8" longer overall / now to big, for the segment
Gas prices in Ontario, Canada is approx. $5/gallon - the RAV4 doesn't break the bank.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is an R4H -Hybrid RAV4 and what year ?

Wife has a 2008 RAV4 Limited, v6 (Gen3) 3.5L / 3,500# tow capacity.
I have a 2000 4Runner SR5, v6 (Gen3) 3.4L / 5,200# tow capacity.
- we bought the RAV4 before I found my mint-1 senior owner T4R
I'm planning to keep her RAV4 for 4 years / my full frame SUV with HD-truck 4x4, will keep +15 years.
- wife's vehicle will be upgraded to our sons 2015 Lexus RX350
- my old 4Runner will be used to pull a 24 ft. camper trailer, in retirement

I actually think the RAV4 is just a tad short, on wheel base / a v6 Highlander or Lexus SUV, is more to my liking.
- saw a mint 2008 4Runner Sport Edition and it really caught my eye / 7,200# tow capacity with 4.0L
I am a truck guy, so I don't mind a bit longer SUV & full frame / but nothing like a Escalade boat, with 3rd row seating.
- even the 2016 Lexus RX350 is about 8" longer overall / now to big, for the segment
Gas prices in Ontario, Canada is approx. $5/gallon - the RAV4 doesn't break the bank.

Yes Rav4 Hybrid

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Other reason why I'm thinking about the trade is the Problems people having with Toyota Hybrid system failing randomly on the highway and such.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Other reason why I'm thinking about the trade is the Problems people having with Toyota Hybrid system failing randomly on the highway and such.

This is new to me. Where did you see this?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Utter nonsense. A percentage of all cars fail at one time or another.
There's absolutely nothing to support the notion that a 4Runner will be more reliable, in fact the available evidence is the opposite - if anything.

You're obviously trying to rationalize changing your mind, and that's a perfectly legitimate thing to do if you can afford it. Just don't go looking for excuses that don't exist. "Whim" is as good a reason as any, and more honest.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Really?? I had a Lexus CT200h for 5 years and it NEVER had a single issue with the hybrid system. Please provide specific data before you make such broad statements.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts