Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 742 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully anyone with this well-known problem has called Toyota Corporate at 800-331-4331 and their dealer service department to report and describe their problem. Please report any solutions or proposed solutions to this thread. As for me, I’m still waiting for some significant movement from Toyota but hopefully, if all of us with this issue keep the pressure on, this will get fixed.

I’m assuming the other thread apparently was getting too large and thus was closed to new replies. I have asked but haven’t yet gotten any response at https://www.rav4world.com/forums/autoguide-forum-support-help-rav4world.145/

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really weird they closed the thread.

I was contacted today and they are replacing the fuel valve, fuel sending unit and the fuel tank with quite a few other parts. I'm hoping to have my car back before I go on business trip.

This is a huge issue for people experiencing it and devalues the car significantly. You aren't talking 50mi. You are talking 100mi and force pumping to get 3/4 a tank which could lead to other issues.

People saying otherwise are seriously out of left field

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really weird they closed the thread.

I was contacted today and they are replacing the fuel valve, fuel sending unit and the fuel tank with quite a few other parts. I'm hoping to have my car back before I go on business trip.

This is a huge issue for people experiencing it and devalues the car significantly. You aren't talking 50mi. You are talking 100mi and force pumping to get 3/4 a tank which could lead to other issues.

People saying otherwise are seriously out of left field
So did you ever contact Toyota Corp and get a case number or just your dealer service department? I’m working to find out why the thread was closed and by whom.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No I contacted Toyota Corp. Got a case number. 3-4 visits with dealer before they sent a field engineer out. Now the dealer is performing the repairs.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Without reading the thousand+ posts I closed the previous thread because it had been reported three times and some of the later rhetoric was getting out of hand. This one will stay open ALA it doesn't flame up again.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without reading the thousand+ posts I closed the previous thread because it had been reported three times and some of the later rhetoric was getting out of hand. This one will stay open ALA it doesn't flame up again.
Doesnt a mod generally give at least a single warning?

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Yeah, I'm really gonna read all the posts and decide who to give warnings too? Unless another moderator wants to slug thru it all you guys are on your own in this and all the other similar threads

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm really gonna read all the posts and decide who to give warnings too? Unless another moderator wants to slug thru it all you guys are on your own in this and all the other similar threads
Just curious how this particular forum works vs others I’ve been on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hopefully this topic lasts a while. Just took ours in Tuesday, got it back today after dealer tested and called Toyota Corporate. They are aware of the issue and had our dealer replace Fuel Sending Unit. Needle was above Full when we picked up, now need to drive it down to 1/4 or so and see how fill up goes. They said old Sending Unit was not calibrated properly and was not reading correctly when on full. So looks like Toyota is recommending at this point replacing Fuel Sending Unit but not the Gas Tank. Hopefully will see some positive results. DTE was also at 486 which is higher than we ever got, but not above 500 which is what I would expect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hopefully this topic lasts a while. Just took ours in Tuesday, got it back today after dealer tested and called Toyota Corporate. They are aware of the issue and had our dealer replace Fuel Sending Unit. Needle was above Full when we picked up, now need to drive it down to 1/4 or so and see how fill up goes. They said old Sending Unit was not calibrated properly and was not reading correctly when on full. So looks like Toyota is recommending at this point replacing Fuel Sending Unit but not the Gas Tank. Hopefully will see some positive results. DTE was also at 486 which is higher than we ever got, but not above 500 which is what I would expect.
Only worked for me when I fueled from "E" with that "solution". Fueling from 1/2 mark I had to force some more in.

Sorry, I'm just now responding to the question you had in PM. The alert system here is weird.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Only worked for me when I fueled from "E" with that "solution". Fueling from 1/2 mark I had to force some more in.

Sorry, I'm just now responding to the question you had in PM. The alert system here is weird.
Thanks for your response. If I am correct, you had yours reset vs replaced, correct? The ones that have had replaced also are seeing mixed results. So it looks like to me at this point, the Fuel Sending Unit may only be part of the problem. The tank itself seems to be the other part. I cannot tell for sure, but everyone that has had tank replaced is seeing good results. That may be the final solution. Just have to figure out how to have dealer recognize that and/or Toyota Corporate. I should know in a few weeks how replacing Fuel Sending Unit went. We will be refilling at or near the 1/4 mark.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Bummer that other thread was closed, we should "thank" Toyota for that though for lack of official fix and people are getting frustrated at each other. I finally got appointment scheduled with hypothetical fix, I don't have my hopes up, but at it least it's something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are there stats on how many vehicles are having issues anywhere or if we know it’s related to specific trim levels or location of assembly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully anyone with this well-known problem has called Toyota Corporate at 800-331-4331 and their dealer service department to report and describe their problem. .....
I called the US HQ number 800-331-4331 and spoke with Jeffrey in the Customer Assistance department. I had already brought my 2019 RAV4 LE Hybrid (odometer~5k) in to the dealer 10 days ago. So now I have a customer assistance case number filed with national headquarters under 1908010702 and a technical assistance case # 192110207 filed by the dealer about this refueling issue. I am told by both headquarters and the dealer that no remedy is available at this time, and no instructions or work arounds. I have been on 3 trips across half the country with this car and the filling problem is intolerable when long range is needed. The premature automatic shutoff is also not undangerous, as filling the tank very very slowly over the course of about 5 minutes results in no automatic shutoff at all and instead resulted in overfilling - spilling gas onto the ground.

The manual says refueling must occur within 30 minutes of pressing the switch under the dash to open the tank access door, or the valve shuts, which could cause overfilling. The vent valve? What valve? It must have closed within the 5 minutes, though, because I overfilled. Did it never open? Does the auto shutoff of the gas pump at 3/4 full have nothing to do with venting? The dry fill of the tank is 14.5 gal US. No one can tell me what the volume of gas is that remains in the tank at all times to prevent sediments entering the fuel line. The difference between dry fill and wet fill would be useful to know. I calculate from miles driven and avg mpg (usually in the mid 40s at high speeds, except with big headwind or extreme high temperatures (requiring more AC)) how many gallons a refueling should take to get to F. With no precise specs, such calculations are pretty inexact. If I only fill to automatic shutoff at 3/4 full, I lose at least 100 miles of range. Toyota should provide instructions on how to fill safely past the premature auto shutoff, while we wait for them to figure out the repair procedure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are there stats on how many vehicles are having issues anywhere or if we know it’s related to specific trim levels or location of assembly?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If everyone posted their Factory # and Country built from their VIN #s we can probably figure out of there is a pattern.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JTMLWRFV7KD014301 built in Japan according to the VIN - don't know how to determine specifically which factory or plant (11th position in the VIN).

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Factory build info is on the build plate near the bottom of the B pillar between the driver side doors. There was only one HV plant in Japan for the 4th gen, but that may have changed since.

1 - 20 of 742 Posts
About this Discussion
741 Replies
115 Participants
rac4baller
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing