Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2401 - 2420 of 2467 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have mixed feelings about posts showing that they're not having problems. On the one hand, it makes me envious that others' cars are working. On the other, it gives me hope that the problem can and will be solved since it doesn't affect everybody.
According to Toyota, this problem is only affecting a handful of vehicles. 🙄

·
Registered
5 Posts
HA! Count me in as well. My Rav4 Hybrid is 5 months old and I noticed from the first fill up that there was a problem. I can only get about 3/4 of a tank before the pump clicks off. I then have to repeatedly squeeze the nozzle to get any more gas (usually at a rate of about .05 gallons a squeeze). Today I was able to put in an additional 5+ gallons at that slow rate. I have never had the issue of the gauge not reading full, it just takes forever to fill up and it's a whole lot of work and often gas spills out. After finding this forum, I called my dealer. They told me to make an appointment so the technicians can look at it. When I further explained the issue, they then told me to make an appointment when it's near empty, so they can get gas and see if there is a problem. I called Toyota Corporate and explained the issue and this forum. They said there isn't a recall but they took my information, gave me a case number, and, of course, make an appointment with my dealer. So now I'm just waiting to have time to make an appointment that doesn't conflict with my work schedule. But am I right that I'm seeing this issue in a forum as far back as 2010??? I'd think gas spilling out of the tank because something is likely calibrated wrong, or the fuel valve is too narrow, would be a safety issue worth a recall.

·
Registered
172 Posts
With slow filling technique, i am now able to fill past F mark, but my DTE is still at 430. Doing the math myself - DTE / Latest MPG = 430 / 32 = 13.4 gallons, and i do suspect the DTE calculation is excluding about 1 to 2 gallons, so it seems about right, right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
With slow filling technique, i am now able to fill past F mark, but my DTE is still at 430. Doing the math myself - DTE / Latest MPG = 430 / 32 = 13.4 gallons, and i do suspect the DTE calculation is excluding about 1 to 2 gallons, so it seems about right, right?
DTE seems to exclude about 1.5 gal when operating correctly. For others it excludes more like 4 gallons.

·
Registered
42 Posts
According to Toyota, this problem is only affecting a handful of vehicles. 🙄
I only posted on here that I was able to get nearly 14 gallons on here because I was concerned I wouldn't be able to. In my first post I showed 23 DTE with less then 400 miles on new vehicle. I presumed I had the same problem as dealer was to give me new vehicle with "full tank". I was totally blown away when I went to the pump for my first fill up and got well over 500 miles DTE. I now plan to follow up on the next fill up to see if this was a one time thing or no further problems. I won't post again unless the problem occurs. BTW I filled to first cut off on pump and did not attempt to add any more gas. 5116BF3E-3C90-4F8F-BBF3-1F7D21C10A66_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
52 Posts
I only posted on here that I was able to get nearly 14 gallons on here because I was concerned I wouldn't be able to. In my first post I showed 23 DTE with less then 400 miles on new vehicle. I presumed I had the same problem as dealer was to give me new vehicle with "full tank".
Do you recall what the DTE was after the dealer gave you the new vehicle with "full tank"?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited (made in Canada) in early October. I noticed the gas tank issue after the first fill. When I picked up the car from the dealership, the DTE was 550. After the first fill, it was 477, then 430 after the 2nd fill. Now I’m barely clearing 400 even with some ill recommended topping off. I took the car into the dealership (Northbrook Toyota in IL) and was told they ran diagnostics, but found nothing wrong. One of the techs came with me to fill up the tank and STILL denied the issue, making excuses like “the DTE is just an estimate”, and “the tank bladder does not expand fully during cold weather” blah blah blah. They told me I could call them again if the issue worsened significantly (as if an 100+ miles difference is not bad enough), when the weather warms up, or I could contact Toyota directly.

I called Toyota, spoke with Cody, and obtained a ticket number today. Apparently the engineers are still looking into the issue (at least they do acknowledge that there is definitely an issue), but there is currently no available solution. They hope to have one soon and told me to check back periodically.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited (made in Canada) in early October. I noticed the gas tank issue after the first fill. When I picked up the car from the dealership, the DTE was 550. After the first fill, it was 477, then 430 after the 2nd fill. Now I’m barely clearing 400 even with some ill recommended topping off. I took the car into the dealership (Northbrook Toyota in IL) and was told they ran diagnostics, but found nothing wrong. One of the techs came with me to fill up the tank and STILL denied the issue, making excuses like “the DTE is just an estimate”, and “the tank bladder does not expand fully during cold weather” blah blah blah. They told me I could call them again if the issue worsened significantly (as if an 100+ miles difference is not bad enough), when the weather warms up, or I could contact Toyota directly.

I called Toyota, spoke with Cody, and obtained a ticket number today. Apparently the engineers are still looking into the issue (at least they do acknowledge that there is definitely an issue), but there is currently no available solution. They hope to have one soon and told me to check back periodically.
At this time, we can only wait (be patience) and hope Toyota find a solution soon, in my opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts

This is a good description of the issue, both what the fuel gauge is doing and the common experience dealing with Toyota service personnel. Today I thought of a way to describe the issue that avoids the term DTE. I’ve noticed that trying on here, or at the dealership, to argue that it is an issue that your display shows only 400 DTE after a fill up brings out the trolls and Toyota apologists. DTE or Cruising Range has been a reliable technology on any other vehicle I’ve owned for 20 years (albeit non-Toyotas), but I’ll accept for the sake of this forum that we can’t invoke DTE abnormalities as a symptom of problems. I thus propose this new way to describe the issue: “after a fill-up, defined as filling to first click with 3-4 additional top-offs, I see the fuel gauge at 7/8 and can get no more than 400 odometer miles until the low fuel light comes on again.” That, Toyota service guy, is an issue based on how your employer marketed this vehicle.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,419
Just an update...I haven‘t received any communications from Toyota Corp or my dealer service department in over a month. Last I heard from my SA was when I went to the dealership and asked him directly. At that time, he told me the last he heard was to expect nothing until spring.
I thought that was a rather strange message. My guess is Toyota is trying to sell as many 2020s with this problem as possible before they publicly admit to any problem, then just take the next few years to accomplish any “fix” they may come up with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an update...I haven‘t received any communications from Toyota Corp or my dealer service department in over a month. Last I heard from my SA was when I went to the dealership and asked him directly. At that time, he told me the last he heard was to expect nothing until spring.
I thought that was a rather strange message. My guess is Toyota is trying to sell as many 2020s with this problem as possible before they publicly admit to any problem, then just take the next few years to accomplish any “fix” they may come up with.
Multiple people have already been told a fix is expected in January 2020/Early 2020.

2401 - 2420 of 2467 Posts