Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2441 - 2460 of 2610 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Last time I filled (and I think overfilled!) since I had to keep monkeying with it to fill it- my DTE was 479-
Not so great.

I find myself really looking at 2019 Rav 4's I see- to see if they are "Hybrid"s I rarely see Hybrids. Why is that? I can't believe people would not opt for the Hybrid- are they purposely holding back on selling these because they know of the problem? So people are setting for the gas model? Just wondering- I'm in OH, but when I visited So California couple weeks ago, I didn't see many on the road- TONS of Prius. But the Rav 4's I saw (2019) were NOT Hybrid- of all places to opt for gas- when their gas is $4.50 ish a gallon!
Probably because they don't need AWD. It is $4000 (due to lower discounts on hybrid) more than the Gas FWD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Couple of more tidbits from my experience... I have about 2500 miles now. Just did a roundtrip from Maine to Maryland and had varying experiences at different gas stations... there were some older pumps that didn't have that rubber ring around them and I believe I got in a little more in than usual. Still- nothing like what it should be. The one time I drove about 20 miles past the "Refuel Now" warning I got just over 10 gallons in. Additionally, I'm getting the worst MPG ever currently- around 33/34- but I typically drive about 75mph on a hilly Maine highway in the cold, so maybe to be expected. Down in Maryland I had the best at around 40mpg. I called and got a case number from Toyota Corp. today (a Veronica F.) and they said, as others have stated, that they are aware of the issue and that I should take it in to a dealer to be documented anyway, so the engineers have more data. Going in in a few days for that.... feels a little less maddening, hearing someone personally acknowledge it from Toyota. Now hopefully there will be a fix in the near future.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey Everyone. I finished up my Repurchase today. Toyota had Stericycle handle the buyback. Took about 15min. I decided to purchase a new 2020 non hybrid Rav4 XLE Premium.

Here is the interesting thing...The service Department, the sales department and the Finance department were not aware of any scheduled TSBs or recalls for this fuel tank issue.

I reached out to customer support once more to see if they would provide me an official doc stating they scheduled a fix to no response.

My XLE doesnt have some of the bells and whistles of the Hybrid XSE but they were things i didnt need or want (Panoramic Sun/Moonroof and Audio System). I decided against the Subaru and CR-V due to their issues and recent recalls. I decided against the hybrid as i wasnt sure if it was weather or the gas tank issue, but my mpg dropped to about 35.9 - 36.2 in the past 2 months. The gas model is getting 33 so im not going to cry over 3mpg.

For clarification. I am an ocd type person. I thrive on consistency and detail which is why i chose to pursue the issue and accepted Toyotas only option of buyback. I drive 140-150mi a day and my vehicle would be out of the new vehicle warranty awaiting Toyotas response to fix or not fix. Pursuing the buyback had nothing to do with affordability or me being unable to pay for the car or buyers remorse as some might suggest. It was simply matter of principle. I paid a price and wanted what i paid for.

I hope each of you finds a solution to the problem with your new vehicles.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Everyone. I finished up my Repurchase today. Toyota had Stericycle handle the buyback. Took about 15min. I decided to purchase a new 2020 non hybrid Rav4 XLE Premium.

Here is the interesting thing...The service Department, the sales department and the Finance department were not aware of any scheduled TSBs or recalls for this fuel tank issue.

I reached out to customer support once more to see if they would provide me an official doc stating they scheduled a fix to no response.

My XLE doesnt have some of the bells and whistles of the Hybrid XSE but they were things i didnt need or want. I decided against the Subaru and CR-V due to their issues and recent recalls. I decided against the hybrid as i wasnt sure if it was weather or the gas tank issue, but my mpg dropped to about 35.9 - 36.2 in the past 2 months. The gas model is getting 33 so im not going to cry over 3mpg.

For clarification. I am an ocd type person. I thrive on consistency and detail which is why i chose to pursue the issue and accepted Toyotas only option of buyback. I drive 140-150mi a day and my vehicle would be out of the new vehicle warranty awaiting Toyotas response to fix or not fix. Pursuing the buyback had nothing to do with affordability or me being unable to pay for the car or buyers remorse as some might suggest. It was simply matter of principle. I paid a price and wanted what i paid for.

I hope each of you finds a solution to the problem with your new vehicles.
Have you noticed any problems with the 8 speed transmission? That seems to be the only real problem spot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have you noticed any problems with the 8 speed transmission? That seems to be the only real problem spot.
Hey, To be honest the transmission feels smoother than the Hybrid, but Ive only got 80mi on the vehicle so it could be a problem later. don't know at this point.

Wish you the best man in getting your car repaired in the future

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 3 week old 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE....

I have the Issue :/
This is why I didnt get the 2020 Hybrid. My lady asked me; why so you can possibly have the issue again and be frustrated?

The FWD RAV4 gets 35mpg and to be truthful it can do better.
The AWD RAV4 gets 33MPG and in my morning commute I was seeing better than that avg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is why I didnt get eh 2020 Hybrid. My lady was like why so you can possibly have the issue again and be frustrated. The FWD RAV4 gets 35mpg and to be truthful it can do better. The AWD RAV4 gets 33MPG and in my morning commute I was seeing better than that avg.
I had ZERO clue there was an issue until I searched for it after having the issue :/

I average over 40MPG(doing my math after filling as well). Mixed commutes highway + city.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Today I drove my hav4h 18 miles past DTE=0, was only able to add 10.949 gallons. The gauge was at F after fueling, so I have the second type (Type B) of fueling issue: short of fueling despite [email protected]
Let's assume that you did fill it up to top (as indicated by your gauge), so your tank still had about 3.5 gallons at the fill-up, meaning 3.5 gallon at DTE of -18, how about your low fuel indicator? It should have gone off about 2-3 gal before the DTE got to 0, meaning your indicator came on when you still had 5.5-6.5 gal in your tank - wow things don't add up in this DTE system for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Let's assume that you did fill it up to top (as indicated by your gauge), so your tank still had about 3.5 gallons at the fill-up, meaning 3.5 gallon at DTE of -18, how about your low fuel indicator? It should have gone off about 2-3 gal before the DTE got to 0, meaning your indicator came on when you still had 5.5-6.5 gal in your tank - wow things don't add up in this DTE system for sure.
Yes I have the same question. I also get about 10-11 gallons in after I drive ~20 miles past DTE=0. The gauge shows Full after those 10-11 gallons.

Is the 'low fuel' warning wrong and I in fact had 3.5-4 gallons of gas in the tank, or when I fill it up, is it actually just underfilling?

·
Registered
50 Posts
low fuel indicator comes on at DTE= 30~35 miles, it's like that for the entire 3500 miles I drove so far.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes I have the same question. I also get about 10-11 gallons in after I drive ~20 miles past DTE=0. The gauge shows Full after those 10-11 gallons.

Is the 'low fuel' warning wrong and I in fact had 3.5-4 gallons of gas in the tank, or when I fill it up, is it actually just underfilling?
You probably have about 4 gallons left when it says it's empty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is why I didnt get the 2020 Hybrid. My lady asked me; why so you can possibly have the issue again and be frustrated?

The AWD RAV4 gets 33MPG and in my morning commute I was seeing better than that avg.
Are you doing all of your driving on the highway and in no traffic situations? If yes, your fuel economy hit would probably be small around 2-3mpg or so.
If you are driving in other conditions with frequent stop and go your fuel economy hit is going to be MUCH higher. City driving in the conventional RAV will get you in low to mid twenties; hybrid will do a good 15mpg better.
Yes the hybrid suffers a bit more of a fuel economy hit in the winter than the ICE only RAV does but you are kidding yourself if you think you are down only a couple of MPGs for the long haul.

No problem with getting rid of the Hybrid if the fueling problem was a big deal for you but the fuel economy difference is going to be a lot more than a couple of MPGs. That's just reality. . .

·
Registered
239 Posts

Var,

Glad you are happy with your FWD Rav 4 ICE

I am also pleased with my Rav 4 2019 hybrid.

My wife is averaging 43 mpg to 44 mpg on her daily 15 mile commute which takes her through several stop signs, traffic lights, school zones etc.

We also own a Rav 4 2016 ice and that exact same drive for my wife returned 23 mpg to 24 mpg.

That is a significant difference and if you do lots of braking during your commute the hybrid is a great choice.

interstate driving can also be a huge fuel savings if you live in a populated area where the freeways during rush hours are packed.

If I am in a slow moving stop and go situation on the freeway I can match my wife’s city miles of 43 mpg to 44 mpg.

Our Rav 4 ice on the freeway in stop and go traffic will be 24 mpg to 26 mpg

If I have zero stop and go on the interstate and drive under 70 mph I can achieve 29 mpg to 30 mpg.

If I drive above 70 mph with constant speeds our ice Rav will return 27 mpg at absolute best.

Our hybrid at 70 mph on the freeway with no slow downs will return 40 mpg.

Russ

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you doing all of your driving on the highway and in no traffic situations? If yes, your fuel economy hit would probably be small around 2-3mpg or so.
If you are driving in other conditions with frequent stop and go your fuel economy hit is going to be MUCH higher. City driving in the conventional RAV will get you in low to mid twenties; hybrid will do a good 15mpg better.
Yes the hybrid suffers a bit more of a fuel economy hit in the winter than the ICE only RAV does but you are kidding yourself if you think you are down only a couple of MPGs for the long haul.

No problem with getting rid of the Hybrid if the fueling problem was a big deal for you but the fuel economy difference is going to be a lot more than a couple of MPGs. That's just reality. . .
You are comparing it to the manufacturers standard mileage; 41 CITY/ 38 HWY vs Gas 26City/33AWD HWY(35FWD).

I wasn't getting the manufacturer's expected mileage (I do not know if this was due to the fuel issue). I kept a Drivers Log and Receipts along with Refueling Videos of my entire Hybrid experience.

I wasn't getting that on my commute which is 140mi a day(130mi is HWY). "I" was actually getting 36.2mpg and that started dipping to the mid 35's when the winter hit. So that is along with the Fuel issue where I was only getting about 400-450miles a tank, 500mi best on a forced fuel up even after driving below E.

So comparing "MY ACTUAL" reality of the Hybrid I had, versus the Gas Version I have now is the difference for me. I can view my mileage variance in the 5min range on the display and I am averaging mid 30mpgs at current 32mpg in the first tank.I dont drive around the city, but I expect to see lower mpgs in the city. I drive 130mi HWY a day.

If I get to the 33mpg advertised then I am happy. If I get better then I am happy. If I no longer have the fueling issue then I am happy. If the worse I get is 30mpg and no fueling issue, then I am happy.

Driving experiences may vary

2441 - 2460 of 2610 Posts