Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2981 - 3000 of 3131 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don’t think I am incorrect: see this post ...
bpedit said:
It seems to me that you're missing the most salient point derived from previous discussions: the role of the bladder. The most accurate appearing contributions indicated that, even after a hiatus of using a bladder within the gas tank, Toyota has again implemented it in the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid. . .
Best not to quote me as an expert. My information was based on a couple postings I trusted where posters claimed to have heard of the use of a bladder from Toyota corporate. Others since have denied this, don't know why it should still have some mystery associated with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading a lot about the refuel to max tank problem I decided to try something and it worked!!! I am actually very pleased. I cannot say this will work for everyone else but it worked for me. Please see steps below (which I have forwarded to my dealer maintenance team and canceled my appointment to have the techs troubleshoot).

steps:
1. Clear the Average MPH to zero
2. Slowly open the gas filler cap
3. Insert nozzle into gas tank neck
4. Pull trigger to slow mode (is was painfully slow but it will be easier than having to keep refueling)
5. My tank was half full which means I should have about 7-7.5 gallons in the tank prior to refuel
6. Keep fueling past the 4.5 gallon on meter read out and keep trigger as slow as possible
7. Keep fueling past the 7 gallon mark and listen to the fuel noise as it becomes full
8. At slow trigger and noise of fueling reaches full, stop fueling.
9. Replace filler cap to one click and close cover
10. Start car and check fuel readings

it was night time and about 76 F and at a Texaco gas station.
I was able to achieve 568 and above full reading

I hope this helps and I will continue to do the same process.
I think the gas stations in japan are more conservative and maybe American fueling is too fast so it triggers off early? Or did my slow fueling allow for any trapped air to work itself out and some threads have suggested? I am not sure about either; however, these steps worked for me and I really happy about it!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
After reading a lot about the refuel to max tank problem I decided to try something and it worked!!! I am actually very pleased. I cannot say this will work for everyone else but it worked for me. Please see steps below (which I have forwarded to my dealer maintenance team and canceled my appointment to have the techs troubleshoot).

steps:
1. Clear the Average MPH to zero
2. Slowly open the gas filler cap
3. Insert nozzle into gas tank neck
4. Pull trigger to slow mode (is was painfully slow but it will be easier than having to keep refueling)
5. My tank was half full which means I should have about 7-7.5 gallons in the tank prior to refuel
6. Keep fueling past the 4.5 gallon on meter read out and keep trigger as slow as possible
7. Keep fueling past the 7 gallon mark and listen to the fuel noise as it becomes full
8. At slow trigger and noise of fueling reaches full, stop fueling.
9. Replace filler cap to one click and close cover
10. Start car and check fuel readings

it was night time and about 76 F and at a Texaco gas station.
I was able to achieve 568 and above full reading

I hope this helps and I will continue to do the same process.
I think the gas stations in japan are more conservative and maybe American fueling is too fast so it triggers off early? Or did my slow fueling allow for any trapped air to work itself out and some threads have suggested? I am not sure about either; however, these steps worked for me and I really happy about it!!!!
Thanks for sharing. Most people recognize that slow filling the tank works most of the time, but takes forever. For people like me, this isn't possible as I live in a state where I cannot pump my own gas by law. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Most people recognize that slow filling the tank works most of the time, but takes forever. For people like me, this isn't possible as I live in a state where I cannot pump my own gas by law. :(
What if you request they slowly undo filler cap and for the last 3 gallons, if they can go to slow mode? Will they help?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi
What if you request they slowly undo filler cap and for the last 3 gallons, if they can go to slow mode? Will they help?
Probably not. the attendants want to fill you as quick as possible so they can fill more cars. The longer you take, the fewer cars they can do. I've heard some people on here say they have asked attendants to slow fill but I never have asked and probably won't haha.

The idea of explaining the situation every time I fill up is just too much

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably not. the attendants want to fill you as quick as possible so they can fill more cars. The longer you take, the fewer cars they can do. I've heard some people on here say they have asked attendants to slow fill but I never have asked and probably won't haha.

The idea of explaining the situation every time I fill up is just too much
Understandable. I wish all of us the best of luck!! Hope nothing else pops up. They will probably do a TBS or recall and possible compensation.

·
Super Moderator
9,308 Posts
When I'm in NJ where you can't pump your own gas (but can Diesel) I ask the attendant to try to fill as much as possible because I'm checking my fuel mileage.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had good results by rocking the car sideways by pushing on the upper quarter panel. If the issue is trapped air in some areas of the tank a sideways rocking as the tank is almost full should help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there. First post but longtime lurker. In late August I traded in my beloved Jeep for a 2019 RAV4 Limited Hybrid. Have the same issue. Won’t bore with the details.

However, I live within the 10 miles of the New Toyota HQ in DFW. And there’s a local news guy that is famous for doing exposés on companies that aren’t delivering on what’s being promised and pushes to get resolution with the company. Toyota is new here and I would assume it would be easier for him to make contact. So. I am considering reaching out with not only my story but point him to the numerous threads across various forums. I hope this will get some much needed light upon this issue.
I got my case number today and heard the same “we know but no fix and no ETA” and I’m sorry but it’s not right for them to continue to sell without notifying buyers. They knew since at least May of 2019 that there was an issue.

If anyone else wants to reach out, here is the contact info for the Local Fox News - Steve Noviello On Your Side
Consumer: 214-720-3361 | [email protected]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey there. First post but longtime lurker. In late August I traded in my beloved Jeep for a 2019 RAV4 Limited Hybrid. Have the same issue. Won’t bore with the details.

However, I live within the 10 miles of the New Toyota HQ in DFW. And there’s a local news guy that is famous for doing exposés on companies that aren’t delivering on what’s being promised and pushes to get resolution with the company. Toyota is new here and I would assume it would be easier for him to make contact. So. I am considering reaching out with not only my story but point him to the numerous threads across various forums. I hope this will get some much needed light upon this issue.
I got my case number today and heard the same “we know but no fix and no ETA” and I’m sorry but it’s not right for them to continue to sell without notifying buyers. They knew since at least May of 2019 that there was an issue.

If anyone else wants to reach out, here is the contact info for the Local Fox News - Steve Noviello On Your Side
Consumer: 214-720-3361 | [email protected]
Thanks for this, I emailed him seeing if he needed any information (I've been documenting my problems since May 2019).

2981 - 3000 of 3131 Posts