Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

3001 - 3020 of 3131 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
It would be interesting to see if this was a one time event. Please let us know what happens on your next fill up.
I have never seen the "please wait" progress bar on the display. Mine goes right to "ready to refill."

I actually got a full tank on first click this weekend after months of having the issue. The only difference I noticed was that there was a progress bar on the screen when I hit the fuel door button (usually it immediately says "ready to refuel") so maybe this was the system acting correctly? Does anyone else routinely see a "please wait" progress bar before the "ready to refuel" message?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I actually got a full tank on first click this weekend after months of having the issue. The only difference I noticed was that there was a progress bar on the screen when I hit the fuel door button (usually it immediately says "ready to refuel") so maybe this was the system acting correctly? Does anyone else routinely see a "please wait" progress bar before the "ready to refuel" message?
I've seen it only once in 61 fill ups...and I still had the early shut off issue when it happened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone else routinely see a "please wait" progress bar before the "ready to refuel" message?
When I picked up the car from the dealership, I drove it to the gas station with the salesman so they could give me a full tank before I took possession. It was at 1/4 tank. It must have shipped that way because it only had about 3 miles on it.

After pressing the release button, I did get that progress bar on the screen and it took maybe 5 seconds to open the fuel door. I thought this was weird and wondered if it was going to take that long every time... but I hadn't yet read the part in the manual about the valve to the tank that needs to open.

However, when I did my first solo refill last week, pushing the button was instant. There was no progress bar. I was sort of surprised but went with it. I'm trying to think what I might have done differently, and I think I maybe held the button down the 1st time, and just pressed it the 2nd time? It's probably just coincidence, but I'm still going to try holding it down again next time to see if it's any different.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We've broken the 3,000 post threshold.

I live in a sparsely populated rural area.

I've had numerous opportunities to share my RAV4 Hybrid experience with associates and people I know.

There are three people (in different States) that I've had extended conversations with . . . . they were looking at buying a RAV4 Hybrid.

Now they AREN'T.

Well Played Toyota.

Keep it up!

We have your back! :p

·
Registered
536 Posts

I've had numerous opportunities to share my RAV4 Hybrid experience with associates and people I know.

There are three people (in different States) that I've had extended conversations with . . . . they were looking at buying a RAV4 Hybrid.

Now they AREN'T.

Well Played Toyota.

Keep it up!

Yeah but honestly toyota just recalled almost a million vehicles for defective fuel pumps that can cause the vehicle to stall!! Many 2018s and 2019s...Lexus etc.

Best part of it, they dont have a fix and are sending written instructions to owners!!

You think they gave a sh!t about a couple hundred owners with decreased range or nearly a million vehicles that stall while driving?

I love what you do for me, Toyota!

·
Registered
219 Posts

Now they AREN'T.

Well Played Toyota.

Keep it up!

I bought a 2020 knowing that there was a chance it would have the same fueling problem as many of the 2019s. Was I disappointed when it turned out that it did? Yes, of course. However, I researched my new car purchase for over a year before buying and so far I still believe that I made the right choice. And from my past experience with Toyota, I also believe that they will resolve this problem and offer a fix for all impacted vehicles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As posted on the CarGurus site:
"I have a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid LE. Here are my observations about the fuel refill issue:
1) The tank does have a capacity of 14.5 gallons.
2) The low-fuel warning light comes on at around DTE=31 miles.
3) When the low-fuel light comes on, there is actually around 4 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank (from actual experience, which differs from the owner's manual).
4) If you are able to get in 10 gallons of fuel when the low-fuel light comes on, then the tank is full.
5) If you can only get less than 10 gallons of fuel when the low-fuel light comes on, the 'trickle' method can help to fill the tank to full capacity (but it must be a very slow trickle).
6) The 'trickle' method does not require filling the entire tank that way (would take way too long), just after the initial pump shut-off at regular fueling speed.
7) Toyota's are known for being conservative in when the low-fuel light comes on, so 4 gallons remaining is not unusual (but does differ from the owner's manual 2.2 gallons remaining).
8) The fueling issue is due to the tank not being able to vent properly at regular fueling speeds, causing premature pump shut-off.
9) The issue is likely due to different emissions standards in USA."

·
Registered
304 Posts
As posted on the CarGurus site:
"I have a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid LE. Here are my observations about the fuel refill issue:
1) The tank does have a capacity of 14.5 gallons.
2) The low-fuel warning light comes on at around DTE=31 miles.
3) When the low-fuel light comes on, there is actually around 4 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank (from actual experience, which differs from the owner's manual).
4) If you are able to get in 10 gallons of fuel when the low-fuel light comes on, then the tank is full.
5) If you can only get less than 10 gallons of fuel when the low-fuel light comes on, the 'trickle' method can help to fill the tank to full capacity (but it must be a very slow trickle).
6) The 'trickle' method does not require filling the entire tank that way (would take way too long), just after the initial pump shut-off at regular fueling speed.
7) Toyota's are known for being conservative in when the low-fuel light comes on, so 4 gallons remaining is not unusual (but does differ from the owner's manual 2.2 gallons remaining).
8) The fueling issue is due to the tank not being able to vent properly at regular fueling speeds, causing premature pump shut-off.
9) The issue is likely due to different emissions standards in USA."
Maybe it's just me, but saying the tank is empty when there's more than a quarter tank left feels far beyond just "conservative." Those people who habitually refill at a quarter tank are actually filling at closer to a half tank (and still getting at least the range I got on my 2008 RAV4!).

·
Registered
33 Posts
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XSE

Okay, just had a fill up today, my tank was just shy of 1/2 full and I put in about 7.5 gallons without any issues. Based on what my fuel gauge indicated and what I have just filled, it looks like the tank is okay. Fuel economy-wise, I have not been averaging as good a fuel economy as I would have expected; about 33-34 mpg on a hybrid. I have yet to do city driving so this should improve, but so far, my trips have been back and forth the grocery store and dropping my wife off at work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XSE

Okay, just had a fill up today, my tank was just shy of 1/2 full and I put in about 7.5 gallons without any issues. Based on what my fuel gauge indicated and what I have just filled, it looks like the tank is okay. Fuel economy-wise, I have not been averaging as good a fuel economy as I would have expected; about 33-34 mpg on a hybrid. I have yet to do city driving so this should improve, but so far, my trips have been back and forth the grocery store and dropping my wife off at work.
Given that Canada is rather cold this time of year, that fuel economy isn't unexpected. All cars are less efficient in the winter, but hybrids are even more affected.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but saying the tank is empty when there's more than a quarter tank left feels far beyond just "conservative." Those people who habitually refill at a quarter tank are actually filling at closer to a half tank (and still getting at least the range I got on my 2008 RAV4!).
I saw some data on other car models, and 2-4 gallons of fuel reserve (at low-fuel warning light) is very common. For the new RAV4 Hybrid, they probably needed to be extra conservative due to the flattened shape of the gas tank (fuel reserve is to ensure more enduring fuel pump performance). However, the premature fuel pump shut-off problem is an altogether separate issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XSE

Most of Canada feels -35 to -45 this week. I think such fuel economy is okay .

·
Registered
98 Posts
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XSE

Yes, they've done research on winter driving of hybrid vehicles, and up to 33% reduction in MPG was experienced. I'm getting 44 MPG now, but am in warm-weather area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Toyota Canada as of today still denies there is an issue with HV fuel tank filling. Even when being reffered to all automative magazine articles and web site discussing the issue.

After having my TA refusing to even look at the car for the fuel gauge not showing full, I escalated to Toyota Canada. After a few back and forth ,the final word was . 1- If your TA do not want to go at it, try another dealer, 2- Usable fuel capacity is not 55L as published, but 40L, there is an unusable 15L reserve for hybrid system safety. 3- There is no known issue, we monitor user complaints and there are barely none reporting the issues....

Well thats a lot of BS about protecting an hybrid system... not to mention stating that the specification sheet is not acurate... In my case having a high range is high on my priority list , was one of the reason I chose that model and is a big turn off not to have it... I used to buy diesels before...

Since they want to hear more from HV fuel issues... lets open cases directly to them and get a file number ! Contact info at : Contact Us - Toyota Canada

·
Registered
81 Posts
Toyota Canada as of today still denies there is an issue with HV fuel tank filling. Even when being reffered to all automative magazine articles and web site discussing the issue.

After having my TA refusing to even look at the car for the fuel gauge not showing full, I escalated to Toyota Canada. After a few back and forth ,the final word was . 1- If your TA do not want to go at it, try another dealer, 2- Usable fuel capacity is not 55L as published, but 40L, there is an unusable 15L reserve for hybrid system safety. 3- There is no known issue, we monitor user complaints and there are barely none reporting the issues....

Well thats a lot of BS about protecting an hybrid system... not to mention stating that the specification sheet is not acurate... In my case having a high range is high on my priority list , was one of the reason I chose that model and is a big turn off not to have it... I used to buy diesels before...

Since they want to hear more from HV fuel issues... lets open cases directly to them and get a file number ! Contact info at : Contact Us - Toyota Canada
If this were the case and 40L (10.556 Gallons) were the usable amount, then that would mean everyone who is showing 500+ miles DTE is getting around 48mpg, which seems pretty odd to me (assuming the 4 gallons or 15L were hidden below the 0 DTE/Empty mark). That would mean everyone who seems to think their tank is fine are actually the ones who need their cars to be fixed since its overestimating their mileage range.

I also spoke to two people (one with a 2014 rav4 hybrid and one from 2018) and they said they were used to not getting in any more than 13 gallons in a 14.5 gallon tank. I told them that I wish I could get over 12 for my 2019. Also seeing other people in the other thread getting 12 gallons from Empty on first click further makes me believe that I should get more than 10.5 gallons into my tank which I can't. There should at least be some consistency in amount of fuel you can pump in.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,016
Actually, the real number is over 4300 because the first thread was closed with over 1300.
That said, it is amazing to me that this thread has continued to grow as it has. I certainly was not the first to mention this problem and there are other related threads out there.
IMHO, these threads have helped draw attention to this problem from other owners with the problem, potential buyers, dealer service departments, Toyota Corporate, the automotive press, class-action attorneys, and more.
I just hope it ends up with a real fix sooner rather than later. Sadly, I’m just not feeling it will.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I purchased my previous Rav4 new 2008. After about nine years and 100,000 miles the exhaust system had extensive rust and needed to be replaced. So I went ahead and got it fixed.

Several months later, I received a letter from Toyota indicating that exhaust corrosion on some models was considered a product defect. Since I had the exhaust system repaired at the dealership I was reimbursed for most of the cost. I did not ask Toyota for this assistance.

I wonder how many other car brands would do this for a vehicle that had been out of warranty for several years? Some perhaps but probably not many. Studies have shown that optimists live a longer and healthier life. So my goal is to try and think that way.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,019
I purchased my previous Rav4 new 2008. After about nine years and 100,000 miles the exhaust system had extensive rust and needed to be replaced. So I went ahead and got it fixed.

Several months later, I received a letter from Toyota indicating that exhaust corrosion on some models was considered a product defect. Since I had the exhaust system repaired at the dealership I was reimbursed for most of the cost. I did not ask Toyota for this assistance.

I wonder how many other car brands would do this for a vehicle that had been out of warranty for several years? Some perhaps but probably not many. Studies have shown that optimists live a longer and healthier life. So my goal is to try and think that way.
I hope that will work for us.
Chevy sent me a letter years ago stating there was a known problem with my ‘03 Silverado‘s gauge cluster and they would fix it IF YOU HAD THE PROBLEM. Of course, mine didn’t actually show up until AFTER the deadline for the fix. You just never know how they might implement a fix.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since the fuel pump recall is expected to have a fix in mid-March, I bet that Toyota exec who cited March for this gas tank fix mixed up the dates. You know what execs are like.

3001 - 3020 of 3131 Posts