Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

3621 - 3640 of 4041 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why haven’t those of us who have case numbers been offered this in writing? I just got off the phone two days ago with ToyoCorp asking for an update and they said nothing about this!
This morning, I emailed one of Toyota's Chicago Region "Customer First Administrators" about this issue. She wrote "
We do not have a tech bulletin nor anything else in writing regarding the fuel tank. Thank you." Yesterday and today, several service advisors at various dealer service centers stated that there is no repair, fix or further guidance from Toyota.

If/when consumers share information, we are able to better dissect and understand Toyota's lack-of-information, misinformation and disinformation.

Toyota Won't Provide Info.JPG

This was her original offer to replace the fuel tank, but she refuses to offer any information or details about the repair.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Does this debunk the theories that some have put forth that the tank is fine, or it is only a software problem, or the user doesn't know how to pump gas?
Kinda confirms that the symptoms are so ambiguous that there is no clear problem.

However, we have a headache. We don't know why we have a headache. But in the meantime we can still take aspirin.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,629
MAJOR UPDATE...I just got off the phone with my service advisor from my dealership and he told me he had heard nothing about this “interim fix“. What he did tell me is that he just got off the phone yesterday with his regional engineer and learned that there is a fix and it blew my mind!
His story was that the real problem is that the material the 2019 re-design tank was made out of is very susceptible to heat. He said tanks being used in the south and other hotter areas have had more of these issues being reported which may be why this Dallas area may be getting the interim fix. Evidently another issue (which may be affected by heat) is that the gas pump/gauge in the tank is too high off the bottom to allow the entire 14.5 gallons to be measured properly.
So Toyota is evidently designing an entirely new tank made out of the pre-2019 material that also has the pump/gauge sitting lower in it. He mentioned they will be addressing this filler tube in the new design as they want to stop people from having to overfill to get a full reading. Whenever this all gets done, they will replace the problem tanks and new software will be done also. He intimated it could be quite a while til the tank is done and that the capacity may not be the same...maybe less.
Again, FWIW, this is somewhat in the speculation stage but he seemed confident this would be the way it goes.
Talk amongst yourselves! :unsure:

·
Registered
498 Posts
MAJOR UPDATE...I just got off the phone with my service advisor from my dealership and he told me he had heard nothing about this “interim fix“. What he did tell me is that he just got off the phone yesterday with his regional engineer and learned that there is a fix and it blew my mind!
His story was that the real problem is that the material the 2019 re-design tank was made out of is very susceptible to heat. He said tanks being used in the south and other hotter areas have had more of these issues being reported which may be why this Dallas area may be getting the interim fix. Evidently another issue (which may be affected by heat) is that the gas pump/gauge in the tank is too high off the bottom to allow the entire 14.5 gallons to be measured properly.
So Toyota is evidently designing an entirely new tank made out of the pre-2019 material that also has the pump/gauge sitting lower in it. He mentioned they will be addressing this filler tube in the new design as they want to stop people from having to overfill to get a full reading. Whenever this all gets done, they will replace the problem tanks and new software will be done also. He intimated it could be quite a while til the tank is done and that the capacity may not be the same...maybe less.
Again, FWIW, this is somewhat in the speculation stage but he seemed confident this would be the way it goes.
Given the history of service advisers giving total BS explanations, I'd take all of this with a grain of salt.

However, there are some elements that ring true. We've already verified from EPA documents that the fuel tank is a different material. The gauge sitting at the wrong position in the tank is a reasonable explanation for the "excessive reserve" problem. Designing a whole new fuel tank would certainly take a long time: engineering the tank, testing the design, designing and creating the tooling for manufacture, testing the manufactured product, and then certifying it with potentially multiple government agencies.

I'm less sold on the susceptibility to heat, since there have been plenty of reports of problems from people in cold climates. And a potential capacity reduction is going to be unacceptable -- my tank already behaves like it only holds 12 gallons. They very clearly advertised 14.5 gallons, so if the fix reduces that size they need to be prepared to lose some big law suits.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just called my dealer inquiring about the interim fix. They Said it was only for those that had not already had their tank replaced. Since I had, there was nothing further that can do and to call corporate 🙄.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,632
Given the history of service advisers giving total BS explanations, I'd take all of this with a grain of salt.

However, there are some elements that ring true. We've already verified from EPA documents that the fuel tank is a different material. The gauge sitting at the wrong position in the tank is a reasonable explanation for the "excessive reserve" problem. Designing a whole new fuel tank would certainly take a long time: engineering the tank, testing the design, designing and creating the tooling for manufacture, testing the manufactured product, and then certifying it with potentially multiple government agencies.

I'm less sold on the susceptibility to heat, since there have been plenty of reports of problems from people in cold climates. And a potential capacity reduction is going to be unacceptable -- my tank already behaves like it only holds 12 gallons. They very clearly advertised 14.5 gallons, so if the fix reduces that size they need to be prepared to lose some big law suits.
I hear you but I must say this is the same guy who went to the gas station with me (with an engineer on the phone) and agreed there was clearly a problem. I believe he heard what he told me and is not someone who would bother to BS me. I’ve called him numerous times for updates and he’s told me there was no news many times.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sounds like you may have to choose:

A) Do you want a 14.5 gallon tank with inaccurate gauges, that you can use all 14.5 gallons if you try hard enough?

B) Do you want a smaller tank with more accurate gauges?

Hypothetical at this point but which would you prefer?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Nothing new here, we heared about gauge being too high before and just another BS theory about heat. My car did not see any heat in PNW until after probably 3 month of ownership where issue was present on first fill in May. We also know they already working on a new fuel tank but we don't know when it will be rolled out

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,635
Sounds like you may have to choose:

A) Do you want a 14.5 gallon tank with inaccurate gauges, that you can use all 14.5 gallons if you try hard enough?

B) Do you want a smaller tank with more accurate gauges?

Hypothetical at this point but which would you prefer?
I guess I’ll wait for the real fix to see. It’s a bit early to get hyper about whether it will be smaller or not.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,636
Nothing new here, we heared about gauge being too high before and just another BS theory about heat. My car did not see any heat in PNW until after probably 3 month of ownership where issue was present on first fill in May. We also know they already working on a new fuel tank but we don't know when it will be rolled out
It’s news to me. So is the interim fix being offered in PNW?

·
Registered
35 Posts
So new tank to fix the issue that ends up still giving you less range than you were told? Doesn't sound like a fix to me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
He intimated it could be quite a while til the tank is done and that the capacity may not be the same...maybe less.
Hopefully this is not true...because it would be an unacceptable solution if it's less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm not entirely convinced that it is a heat issue though considering the warmest it has been since I purchased my Rav4 was 50ish degrees Fahrenheit. Also a coworker who purchased the same year and trim Rav4 as me, just a couple weeks prior, is experiencing no fuel tank issues. In either case, I appreciate your update and am hopeful what your guy says is true and a potential permanent fix is in works.

3621 - 3640 of 4041 Posts