Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

3641 - 3660 of 4041 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hopefully this is not true...because it would be an unacceptable solution if it's less.
Depends what it means "less". Maybe we will loose 0.2 gallons or say under 0.5 gallons then would that be a problem? Not for me. Loosing up to 20 miles of range is better then having defective tank that you have to force feed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What has mystified me about this whole issue from the start 5000+ posts ago, is has anyone on any car or truck ever before looked up the capacity of their fuel tank and expected to put that much in? No, you can only refill the amount you've used. Hasn't it been that way forever?

I do agree the '19-20 RAV4Hs apparently have around a 4 gallon reserve when the low fuel light comes on or DTE goes to zero or the gauge goes to E, take your pick, but isn't that something you have to get used to on any car?

Okay, I'm looking at the gas gauge calibration diagram from a 1983 Toyota Tercel I owned from '86 to '92 and it shows the low fuel light coming on at 1 1/4 gallons left. That's on a car getting 27-30 mpg. So, on a RAV4H getting 40 mpg I do have to agree 4 gallons at low fuel is kinda ridiculous. But if I owned one and wasn't on a forum, I'd likely have it figured out as some of you have and be getting over 500 miles/tank and putting in around 13 gallons each fillup.
Be careful...using common sense here!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Of course nobody expects to put in 14.5 gallons each time they fill. However, when I first got my car, it was at a DTE 597 miles or so. I drove it well over 525 miles and got below a 1/4 of a tank. It only let me put in 8 gallons.

At first I thought WOW this car goes 500+ miles on 8 gallons. Sweet! Then I realized wait that’s like 60 mpg. No way that’s possible and also noticed it was only 7/8 full and went down SUPER FAST as I drove it.

That’s not me expecting to put in the full14.5 gallons. I was expecting to put in 12-13 depending upon the mpg.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just saw it on the news - Toyota is officially providing an interim solution by replacing the tank, but they also addressed that the issue might reoccur meaning this fix might not work!?? But, we can contact our dealer and ask for it as it's officially provided by Toyota now.

For those who have their tank replaced, are you still having the issue? Did the replacement really work? I am debating on it myself at this moment.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just saw it on the news - Toyota is officially providing an interim solution by replacing the tank, but they also addressed that the issue might reoccur meaning this fix might not work!?? But, we can contact our dealer and ask for it as it's officially provided by Toyota now.

For those who have their tank replaced, are you still having the issue? Did the replacement really work? I am debating on it myself at this moment.
The replacement tank did not work for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Here's the link:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got off the phone with toyota case manager. Refused lemon law claim case and offered new tank even though they know that this is not a permanent fix. No date for final remedy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just got off the phone with toyota case manager. Refused lemon law claim case and offered new tank even though they know that this is not a permanent fix. No date for final remedy.
That's not for the case manager to decide. Allow the dealership to make 4 attempts to fix your car. If they fail, then you can get a consumer protection lawyer and sue Toyota to have them buyback your car.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Of course nobody expects to put in 14.5 gallons each time they fill. However, when I first got my car, it was at a DTE 597 miles or so. I drove it well over 525 miles and got below a 1/4 of a tank. It only let me put in 8 gallons.

At first I thought WOW this car goes 500+ miles on 8 gallons. Sweet! Then I realized wait that’s like 60 mpg. No way that’s possible and also noticed it was only 7/8 full and went down SUPER FAST as I drove it.

That’s not me expecting to put in the full 14.5 gallons. I was expecting to put in 12-13 depending upon the mpg.
Hey let's face facts. Either your tank shrank several gallons or for whatever reason you didn't get it full.

And I've come up with a solution. I got a new toilet plunger out and used it on our bathroom sink after the bride complained it was draining slow lately. Worked fantastic! Cut the drain time from 37 to 11 seconds!
Maybe I could send the plunger on a US tour and you guys and gals could use it on the RAV's filler neck. Should work right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's not for the case manager to decide. Allow the dealership to make 4 attempts to fix your car. If they fail, then you can get a consumer protection lawyer and sue Toyota to have them buyback your car.
When I filed the complaint back in September the dealership refused to touch the vehicle and just wanted to wait for the remedy. I had to escalate to Toyota corporate to get things moving after I got tired of the game. Toyota corporate offered the fuel tank replacement as a next step before any buyback. How quickly does the fueling issue reappear after the new fuel tank is installed?

·
Registered
103 Posts
So I was able to add some more data to the tank data (most of it seems to be consistent with what I've been observing from before)...

Before I start I filled my car before this "run" and the after autoshutoff I didn't put more fuel in. DTE was 408 miles to empty, and needle was a tick below full.

I hit 0 DTE at 387 miles driven, and then drove another 107 miles below the E mark for a total range driven of 494 miles. I was able to run an ODBII to measure the car ECU data for the mass air flow rate and calculate the mpg as well as fuel used. Measuring from the moment my car hit empty, I was able to drive just over 2.4 gallons worth of gas below the empty mark before my car started to feel sluggish but the engine didn't shut off, and I just happened to be driving 1 mile circles around the gas station for 40 minutes so I figured it was getting late and pulled in to fill my car.

Considering that this was the 4th time my low fuel light turned on at 27 miles distance to empty I'm speculating my specific car has it set to turn on at 27 miles regardless of the mpg fuel efficiency. This puts about 3 gallons remaining when the low fuel light comes on for my car.

The pump shut off at 13.7 gallons of fuel put in, and when I got into the car to check, it said DTE of 432 miles with the needle a hair above the F mark. I was able to trickle in slowly to get another 1 gallon in and the fuel pump showed 14.9 gallons, and the DTE after this was 494 miles to empty and the needle was well past full about 2 ticks. This seems to not add up for some reason, but who knows. For what it's worth, last time when I filled up from pretty much at Empty exactly, I was able to get in 10.8 gallons and the DTE showed 436 miles to empty with the needle pointing at F. With a fuel reserve of 2.4 gallons + 10.8 gallons seems to come close to how much I was able to pump in from pretty much empty. So in my case there's about 1-1.5 gallons above the needle at which computer can't seem to accurately represent.

1.5 gallons above F mark + 10.8 gallons from F to empty + 2.4 gallons below the Empty mark gives approximately 14.7 gallons, give or take 0.3 gallons. This is my best guess on how it's supposed to work. There are times where the pump will shut off AT the full mark, and other times it shuts off a tick or 2 before it, giving me a DTE of 380-430 miles to empty if I don't pump more gas in after the auto shut off.

Come to think of it we have a lot of data from people whose RAV4s have the filling issue, but there are also people who believe that they don't have an issue or their car can actually fill up with at least 12.3 gallons from the 0 DTE mark on the gauge, and we need more data from the people who have RAV4 hybrids that don't have any issues (like those that have the pump shut off and DTE reads well above 530 miles or something). It's weird because why would you put your car through tests or drive it way past "refuel now" when you feel that your car is one of the working ones right? I think it would be helpful if people posted pictures or video of their car filling up properly so that the rest of us with issues can be certain that our car is having problems or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was able to trickle in slowly to get in another 1 gallon in and the fuel pump showed 14.9 gallons, and the DTE after this was 494 miles to empty and the needle was well past full about 2 ticks.
After being patient with my car and trickling gas in after the first auto stop I'm also able to get about two ticks over the F mark. What happens after that is that I can drive over 100 miles without the needle even moving. When it starts moving, boy does it drop. I can see it dropping slowly while driving on the highway. It's harder to see at slower speeds.
I'd be curious to see if your needle stays above F for a similar length of time and it then drops quickly.

Thanks for this data, by the way.

·
Registered
201 Posts
... DTE was 408 miles to empty, and needle was a tick below full.

I hit 0 DTE at 387 miles driven, and then drove another 107 miles below the E mark for a total range driven of 494 miles. ...
That alone already shows the inaccuracy of DTE. There seems to be 3 problems coexisting here;. 1) DTE inaccuracy. 2) Fuel gauge inaccuracy. 3) Tank issue
and that they fail randomly therefore generating inconsistent results

😕

·
Registered
386 Posts
I can drive over 100 miles without the needle even moving. When it starts moving, boy does it drop. I can see it dropping slowly while driving on the highway. It's harder to see at slower speeds.
I'd be curious to see if your needle stays above F for a similar length of time and it then drops quickly.
Very same scenario with mine. If I trickle force every last drop into my tank, the needle will go above full. I then get about an extra 80/100 miles before the gauge drops below the full mark. Then within 30 miles or so the gauge will drop to the 3/4 mark.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm not sure -- but --- If I were an Toyota engineer, I would be studying a few of these threads. There's a lot of data that can be gathered from our 'rants' on this forum. But I got my doubts that they would stoop so low as to consider us lowly peons.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
So I was able to add some more data to the tank data (most of it seems to be consistent with what I've been observing from before)...

Before I start I filled my car before this "run" and the after autoshutoff I didn't put more fuel in. DTE was 408 miles to empty, and needle was a tick below full....
Much appreciation for the data Apexle. And how with a little patience you're able to get another gallon or two in, as others had also reported.

My experience filling my Accord the other day gave me a little more insight into the whole issue. I was at the same cheapest gas station I've been using when I'm in the New London, CT area. Put the nozzle in and squeezed the handle. Click! Immediate shutoff. Happened a couple more times until I inserted the nozzle fully in. Then it pumped normally except the flow rate seemed extra fast - the gallon readout was running up fast. I figured they'd just changed the filter. Had to really feather the handle to top off. The results turned out normal but relating it to the have/have-not RAV4H refueling issues we've been seeing leads me to a few conclusions.

1. The by-the-book diehard first-clickers (no offense, just isn't me) see the greatest variation in refill volumes, likely closely correlated to the gas pump's flow rate.

2. Those who get different results at different stations are probably being affected by the same factor, the pump's flow rate. That's exactly what I experienced (and at the same station) but was able to adjust for it.

3. I highly doubt those who are experiencing "I didn't have the problem but now I do" have had their tanks collapse. (The different-material, hot weather tank excuse is BS-squared IMO.) More likely their consistent first-click method is being rendered inconsistent by variations of the gas pumps (flow rates, etc.) they have no control over.

4. The best and most consistent refill volume results are being obtained by those who both are willing to "go the extra clicks" and adjust for gas pump variations. They, like me, consider every gas station encounter a challenging opportunity for a rewarding accomplishment, not "Oh damn, another Toyota screw-up I have to fight - AGAIN."

3641 - 3660 of 4041 Posts