Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

3681 - 3700 of 4043 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
Is there a way to edit our posts if we need to correct something?
If so, how do we edit?
Should be three dots in the upper right corner that'll give you edit & delete options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I, too, have the gas tank issue in my 2019 Rav4 Hybrid XLE. I live in Boston, Massachusetts, so the "heat" reasoning doesn't jive with me since here in New England it's cold. Since I've owned the car (took delivery at the end of October) we've pretty much had cold/snowy weather. I immediately noticed the problem at the 1st fill-up - roughly 10 gallons went into the tank. Besides the rumored tank design issues (the "new design in 2019") I've always felt that the DTE calculations were way off and made no sense (they'd swing wildly in a 5 mile linear distance traveled from, say, DTE=80 to DTE=40) and never felt trustworthy. The engineer in me would like to actually be able to "fill up" the tank (with the 10 gallons that seems to go into the tank every time I fill up, which is roughly when the low fuel light goes on) and then actually pull the tank from the car and measure the true amount of fuel in the tank. Of course, I don't have the tools/time for this, but I know there is at least the 10 gallons that I just put in, plus some reserve (that amount is debated here, regardless of what the manual says), plus some unknown amount (a possible variable amount, perhaps because of tank/sensor/etc design flaws).

Kudos to the gentleman (somewhere in one of these threads) that drove his Rav4 Hybrid to absolute 0 (where his DTE had a final reading of somewhere around -112 miles) - this is very telling to me. Kudos also to the other gentleman that proposed a set of theories (also somewhere in one of these threads) about what "E" really represents and if the true distance between "E" and "F" is actually 14.5 gallons or not, or whether it's: absolute 0, or when DTE = 0, or when the "low fuel" warning light goes on. Given the current information and other empirical observations, along with both of these theories and experiments, plus the pseudo-admission by Toyota about the flawed design in the horse-saddle (hyperbolic-paraboloid) tank leads me to personally believe we have a combination of issues: tank, sensor/float calibration, and software.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that my Average MPG (as told to me by the car itself) has never gone above 30 MPG so again, along with the DTE calculations (as done by the car) I just don't trust it.

That being said, I filed a case with Toyota months ago just so that it's documented. Last week my local Boston dealership (where I purchased the car from) called me about a "fix". They offered to swap the tank with part # 77001-0R100 to "fix the problem". I asked how many other tanks they had already swapped on Hybrid Rav4's and the answer was "one" and "it filled right up to 14.5 gallons." Of course it did, the tank was absolutely empty at that point, but nonetheless, I asked the service director to call back that customer and see what has been happening with subsequent fill-ups (I haven't heard anything yet from the service director). After scouring these forums and seeing that others had this same part number swapped in to only fail some number of fill-ups later, I decided to defer until something more permanent is issued by Toyota. I also called Toyota Corporate about this "fix" that the dealer was offering and they said that this was not official (but they also kinda passed-the-buck over to these so-called "regions" where geographically-located dealerships and technical experts pow-wow over issues and that I should "await a decision from them"). As we've seen from what others have posted, this "fix" (apparently now dubbed the "interim fix") does not have a 100% success rate, so I'm willing to wait a bit longer for something that I feel more comfortable with.

Yes, I'm aware that deferring this "fix" for now could possibly work against me at some point in the future - "Well, sir, you declined our free fix back in February. Get to the back of the line!"

I wish I had some more answers for myself and for you all, hopefully my datapoint(s) help(s) someone else. Now onto this new recall about the defective engine block that my car may be subject to - but I'll reserve that rant for the appropriate thread and not this gas tank thread.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I live in Boston, Massachusetts, so the "heat" reasoning doesn't jiv

Kudos to the gentleman (somewhere in one of these threads) that drove his Rav4 Hybrid to absolute 0 (where his DTE had a final reading of somewhere around -112 miles) - this is very telling to me
I'm the one who drove over 100 miles past the DTE of ZERO - ran completely out of fuel (and electricity (EV Mode)), and put 14.7 gallons in my tank.
During the past couple of months I have settled on the following:
I can safely drive the thing 80 miles past DTE zero. (MUST remember to reset the trip-o-meter !!!!!) Then whenever I refuel - I add gas until I see the fuel gurgle up the filler tube numerous times (that is about 2.5 to 3 gallons AFTER the first shut off of the pump.) Now I know that I have about 80/90 miles before the gauge drops to the exact FULL mark.
So in the end I gain at least 160 miles on a tank and ignore the DTE reading after a fill up. The only time I really pay attention the the DTE is when it hits ZERO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm the one who drove over 100 miles past the DTE of ZERO - ran completely out of fuel (and electricity (EV Mode)), and put 14.7 gallons in my tank.
I can safely drive the thing 80 miles past DTE zero. (MUST remember to reset the trip-o-meter !!!!!) Then whenever I refuel - I add gas until I see the fuel gurgle up the filler tube numerous times (that is about 2.5 to 3 gallons AFTER the first shut off of the pump.) Now I know that I have about 80/90 miles before the gauge drops to the exact FULL mark.
So in the end I gain at least 160 miles on a tank and ignore the DTE reading after a fill up. The only time I really pay attention the the DTE is when it hits ZERO.
how many miles did you drive after 0 DTE and what was your mpg - does the math tell ~4 gallons on reserved?
was the 14gallons on first click?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very nice work. When I first got the car, my very first work trip was from Boston to Hartford, CT. I was on I-84 and the DTE=80 and about 5 miles later it quickly went to DTE=40 (as I mentioned in my original post) and I was like "Damn, I'm gonna gas up". That was the first time I gas'd up the new 2019 Rav4 Hybrid XLE and - "CLICK", right at about 10 gallons was registered on the gas pump. DTE was somewhere in the low 400's right afterwards and I remember thinking to myself "Something ain't right". And then I discovered others have similar discrepancies.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Very nice work. When I first got the car, my very first work trip was from Boston to Hartford, CT. I was on I-84 and the DTE=80 and about 5 miles later it quickly went to DTE=40 (as I mentioned in my original post) and I was like "Damn, I'm gonna gas up". That was the first time I gas'd up the new 2019 Rav4 Hybrid XLE and - "CLICK", right at about 10 gallons was registered on the gas pump. DTE was somewhere in the low 400's right afterwards and I remember thinking to myself "Something ain't right". And then I discovered others have similar discrepancies.
SAME AS ME..
You have a 3-4 gallons "reserve"

I reset my trip "odometer" when the Low fuel Light comes ON, at 27 DTE
then
RUN another 100 -120 miles
then fill up...

OR
Just run to 450 MILES per tank...

Do this until the "fix" comes out ... You'll be fine

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mine and andaconda's behave the same. Doing partial this and partial that mine behaves like pretty much everyone's. I do not think it is getting worse and I think it was there from Day 1 it just took 5 or 6 tanks to realize it was a pattern and not just a fluke. Plus wife filled up half the time and it took a while for us to "compare notes" and say Ya, it's doing that to me too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I, too, have the gas tank issue in my 2019 Rav4 Hybrid XLE. I live in Boston, Massachusetts, so the "heat" reasoning doesn't jive with me since here in New England it's cold. Since I've owned the car (took delivery at the end of October) we've pretty much had cold/snowy weather. I immediately noticed the problem at the 1st fill-up - roughly 10 gallons went into the tank. Besides the rumored tank design issues (the "new design in 2019") I've always felt that the DTE calculations were way off and made no sense (they'd swing wildly in a 5 mile linear distance traveled from, say, DTE=80 to DTE=40) and never felt trustworthy. The engineer in me would like to actually be able to "fill up" the tank (with the 10 gallons that seems to go into the tank every time I fill up, which is roughly when the low fuel light goes on) and then actually pull the tank from the car and measure the true amount of fuel in the tank. Of course, I don't have the tools/time for this, but I know there is at least the 10 gallons that I just put in, plus some reserve (that amount is debated here, regardless of what the manual says), plus some unknown amount (a possible variable amount, perhaps because of tank/sensor/etc design flaws).

Kudos to the gentleman (somewhere in one of these threads) that drove his Rav4 Hybrid to absolute 0 (where his DTE had a final reading of somewhere around -112 miles) - this is very telling to me. Kudos also to the other gentleman that proposed a set of theories (also somewhere in one of these threads) about what "E" really represents and if the true distance between "E" and "F" is actually 14.5 gallons or not, or whether it's: absolute 0, or when DTE = 0, or when the "low fuel" warning light goes on. Given the current information and other empirical observations, along with both of these theories and experiments, plus the pseudo-admission by Toyota about the flawed design in the horse-saddle (hyperbolic-paraboloid) tank leads me to personally believe we have a combination of issues: tank, sensor/float calibration, and software.

That being said, I filed a case with Toyota months ago just so that it's documented. Last week my local Boston dealership (where I purchased the car from) called me about a "fix". They offered to swap the tank with part # 77001-0R100 to "fix the problem". I asked how many other tanks they had already swapped on Hybrid Rav4's and the answer was "one" and "it filled right up to 14.5 gallons." Of course it did, the tank was absolutely empty at that point, but nonetheless, I asked the service director to call back that customer and see what has been happening with subsequent fill-ups (I haven't heard anything yet from the service director). After scouring these forums and seeing that others had this same part number swapped in to only fail some number of fill-ups later, I decided to defer until something more permanent is issued by Toyota. I also called Toyota Corporate about this "fix" that the dealer was offering and they said that this was not official (but they also kinda passed-the-buck over to these so-called "regions" where geographically-located dealerships and technical experts pow-wow over issues and that I should "await a decision from them"). As we've seen from what others have posted, this "fix" (apparently now dubbed the "interim fix") does not have a 100% success rate, so I'm willing to wait a bit longer for something that I feel more comfortable with.

Yes, I'm aware that deferring this "fix" for now could possibly work against me at some point in the future - "Well, sir, you declined our free fix back in February. Get to the back of the line!"

I wish I had some more answers for myself and for you all, hopefully my datapoint(s) help(s) someone else. Now onto this new recall about the defective engine block that my car may be subject to - but I'll reserve that rant for the appropriate thread and not this gas tank thread.
I think I might be one of the people you mentioned. At least, the engineer in you would appreciate my experience in decoding the fuel gauge, so give that post a read.

Though, strangely, this last time I filled I got a significantly different behavior than before. More gas went in than I expected. So now I'm confused ... did my tank just fix itself??? Time for more testing!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got the call from corporate, after my lengthy email, just the facts................. I kept my words calm.

Very pleasant lady, we discussed the fueling issue, no resolution at this time. I also had mentioned our average mpg of 34 which started only after the fueling issue began. These readings are down in flat land of Florida, nice and warm. When we first drove the rav we were getting, consistently, 40 to 41 mpg city or highway driving, in hilly Maryland. Since the fueling issue we get only 34-35 mpg. She is calling me back on Monday, we will be back in Maryland. Says calling our local dealer to have them check into the low mpgs.

I am going to do like a lot of you are doing, keep good records of our mpgs on our way up north. 1165 miles to go.

Wait and see where this goes.
Can you share if you included your case number or phone number or did they look you up just by your name? I’m just curious because I sent an email as well and I’m wondering if I should have included that information as well?
I shared my email, phone #s, vin #, address, NCDS case # and two Toyota case #'s

·
Registered
64 Posts
On our drive from Florida, 1065 miles, we averaged 33 mpg, usually driving in the low 70 mph, 95 is pretty flat. A lot of speed traps out there yesterday. The refills never let us put in more than 9 gallons. Fuel light came on with a average of 350 miles driven. We did not push the need to fuel now indicator. There are some parts of 95 without gas stations.

In Flat warm Florida, for the entire 3 months we were down there, we never got over 34 mpg. I have the limited hybrid. Average fill up, 9 gallons.

When we first picked up the car we were averaging 40-41 mpg, in hilly MD. Highway or city driving.

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
I think I might be one of the people you mentioned. At least, the engineer in you would appreciate my experience in decoding the fuel gauge, so give that post a read.

Though, strangely, this last time I filled I got a significantly different behavior than before. More gas went in than I expected. So now I'm confused ... did my tank just fix itself??? Time for more testing!
Since you didn't conveniently provide a link or post number I didn't reread your "decoding" discussion so I don't recall your refill method but I'm beginning to think the variations we've been seeing in both fuel gauge readings and apparent refill capacity have nothing at all to do with the gauge, or the tank capacity changing. The consistent 9-10 gallon refills are due to the larger-than-stated reserve not being used but at least they're consistent. The bladder possibility has faded away, and the hot weather tank shrinkage is the best BS explanation I've heard in many years. Next it'll depend on the phase of the moon!

IMO, the gauges and tank sizes (14.5G) aren't changing one iota. Partially based on my experience the other day (post 3660) at the same station I often frequent with my no-refill-issues Accord where I was surprised to have the nozzle click off immediately until I inserted it fully, I'm ready to conclude that ALL the RAV4H refill variations are due to differing flow rates of the gas dispensing nozzles, which we have no way to quantify. Those flow rates can vary greatly due to different pumps I suppose but mainly how new the filters at the nozzle are.

A major factor is an apparent low capacity fuel tank venting system requiring patience and burping, but I can't think of any other reason why an individual owner such as you likely using a consistent method would be getting such a wide range of results. The gas pumps are simply shutting off early or late depending on their flow rates.

·
Registered
3 Posts

RAVDoug: Yes, you were the "other gentleman" that posted what I was referring to: The fuel gauge, decoded ... Very nice job!

I also forgot to mention in my original post (perhaps I'll edit it for future readers) that my Average MPG (as told to me by the car itself) has never gone above 30 MPG so again, along with the DTE calculations (as done by the car) I just don't trust it. After a few fill-ups when I finally noticed a pattern of odd behavior (and after searching these forums and discovering others' observations) I starting tracking mileage and fuel fill-ups. The problem is since that point when I starting tracking things I really haven't filled-up my tank much because my trips down to Connecticut stopped for work, hence I still need more time to track this, personally.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As I read all these posts about fueling up I would also like to mention that I also have the similar issue with my car. That car being a 2017 Honda CRV. It has a 12.5 tank but I can never put more that nine(9) gallons per fill. Right now my daughter has use of the car and I’ll ask if this is continuing.
My point being is that this seems to be the new normal.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
As I read all these posts about fueling up I would also like to mention that I also have the similar issue with my car. That car being a 2017 Honda CRV. It has a 12.5 tank but I can never put more that nine(9) gallons per fill. Right now my daughter has use of the car and I’ll ask if this is continuing.
My point being is that this seems to be the new normal.
CRV should have 14 gallon tank so you should be able to fill up to 12 gallons from empty. Depends on what the reserve (1.5-2?) is in CRV

·
Registered
498 Posts
Since you didn't conveniently provide a link or post number I didn't reread your "decoding" discussion so I don't recall your refill method but I'm beginning to think the variations we've been seeing in both fuel gauge readings and apparent refill capacity have nothing at all to do with the gauge, or the tank capacity changing. The consistent 9-10 gallon refills are due to the larger-than-stated reserve not being used but at least they're consistent. The bladder possibility has faded away, and the hot weather tank shrinkage is the best BS explanation I've heard in many years. Next it'll depend on the phase of the moon!

IMO, the gauges and tank sizes (14.5G) aren't changing one iota. Partially based on my experience the other day (post 3660) at the same station I often frequent with my no-refill-issues Accord where I was surprised to have the nozzle click off immediately until I inserted it fully, I'm ready to conclude that ALL the RAV4H refill variations are due to differing flow rates of the gas dispensing nozzles, which we have no way to quantify. Those flow rates can vary greatly due to different pumps I suppose but mainly how new the filters at the nozzle are.

A major factor is an apparent low capacity fuel tank venting system requiring patience and burping, but I can't think of any other reason why an individual owner such as you likely using a consistent method would be getting such a wide range of results. The gas pumps are simply shutting off early or late depending on their flow rates.

My situation has nothing to do with flow rate, though. I was able to fill from completely empty to nearly full with no special tricks, and there's definitely an excess of reserve on my gauge.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you trust the MPG and the Odometer then my wife USED 11.0 gallons to get to zero. What this tells me is when she refilled she didn't "top up" which I'm sure would have added 1.3 gallons more. When I top off, at least a couple times in a row, "Full" to Zero Miles was 12.3 gallons.

Yellow light came on at 32 mi DTE.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Digesting thousands of posts that took me dozens of hours to read and based on my real-world observations of a Feb.2019 built 2019 MY Rav4 Hybrid:

There IS 2.2 gallons of usable gas beyond DTE 0.

The yellow lamp comes on about 30 miles before DTE 0. Therefore the yellow lamp comes on when you have 3.0 gallons of gas remaining.

At the onset of the yellow lamp YOU SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO add more than 11.5 gallons. If you add 10 gallons, you are "missing" only 1.5 gallons. This is due to an early "click" off. This is "probably" due to a poor venting system.

Adding 1.5 gallons past the first "click" should almost always get you very close to 14.5 gallons on board.

The MPG gauge is pretty accurate.
To be safe, subtract 2 mpg and do the math. You can drive about 2 gallons x your MPG past DTE zero. If you wish.

It is your choice.
These are the tips to get 500+ miles every tank, if you want. You don't have to do this. You can fill as much and as frequently as you like.

3681 - 3700 of 4043 Posts