Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to the Forum and I just saw the closed topic that had 66 pages. I didn't read more than 20. I too have this problem with my RAV4 Hybrid I picked up in late April 2019. I wondered why I could only fill my tank with 9+ gallons when the trip reminder said I had less than 25 miles remaining in the tank. Nice to see at least that this is a known issue and not my problem alone.

I'm curious. My vehicle was built in Japan. I believe they are now building them in the USA or Canada. Could this be a problem with only with vehicles manufactured in Japan? How many on here with this issue have a Japanese built vehicle and how many have one made elsewhere?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you. My Hybrid is XSE also. I love it. The one thing I do miss about my Honda was the no cap gas tank.
As a side issue a couple of vendors have never been able to locate my VIN number including Toyota Finance lol and my insurance company.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One Japanese Factory is "Nagakusa" . . . which was named by my "BlueDriver" OBDII scan tool when I input the VIN for the unit I've a deposit on and am going to see on Monday, it hit the ground at the dealer yesterday. It rolled off the line at Nagakusa on July 17.

Nagakusa might be the only Japanese assembly plant for the RAV4H . . . I do not know.

This issue makes a panda sad. The RAV4H is a beautiful package! I've rented and driven an XSE for several days and a bunch of miles. It was a Japan Assembled unit and it did have the fueling issue, although, while the symptoms were not extreme, they were there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Very interesting. Dealer said our 2019 hybrid came from Japan, was delayed due in part to the long boat trip.
VIN indicates Canada.
:p :D

I love it! Slow boat from China . . . .

I actually stalked my unit.

The VIN is of Japan origin. My OBDII scan tool, BlueDriver, has the assembly plant as Nagakusa when the VIN is input.

Salesman volunteered that it had rolled off the line on the 17th and was supposed to have shipped on the 24th.

I called a client of mine that is a retired maritime sailor. Determined that the most likely port was Nagoya Japan. I knew the U.S. destination port was Portland. Checked the "Expected Arrivals" for USPDX and there was one ship name that stood out amongst all the other names, Chesapeake Highway.

That vessel had sailed from Nagoya on Wednesday the 24th. It's a RoRo (roll on roll off) ship. It bumped the Terminal 4 Pier in Portland late Sunday August 4 and the "Dealer Daily" showed my unit status as feet dry on 8/5. So, 12 days at sea, across the Pacific pond.

I have no idea if Toyota Logistics uses west coast ports and rails their product to the east coast or if Toyota has the RoRo's sail through Panama.

This experience of shopping, talking, looking for, a RAV4 has been informed by the rainbow of human behavior. Lying sacks of shit, Bait-N-Switch, white lies, half truths, utter disinterest, to good contact management and genuine interest in providing sales and customer service.

Clearly, a Toyota Store person telling you it was a slow boat when the VIN clearly indicates Canadian assembly tells you the person is either ignorant or a liar, possible both.

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
:p :D

I love it! Slow boat from China . . . .

Clearly, a Toyota Store person telling you it was a slow boat when the VIN clearly indicates Canadian assembly tells you the person is either ignorant or a liar, possible both.
Sales people have the legal license to LIE. It's called puffery. The only thing you can hold them to is what's in writing on a contract. So their reputations for BS are well deserved. They literally don't care what they say - until you ask them to put it in writing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After checking out our numbers after Fuel Sending Unit was replaced, I am thinking we will still have an issue. Full Tank DTE was 486 with mpg of 41.3. This does not sound right. Should have been closer to 550. I called Service Manager and he agreed with changing Fuel Sending Unit will not have any effect on putting gas in tank, which is original problem. He told me to try and get it down to DTE between 0 - 30 miles and fill up and let him know how many gallons went in.

I think we will have same issue. Hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sounds like I'm going to waste my time letting them replace my fuel sending unit next week lol
I’m curious about this but not really hopeful. IMO Toyota is just doing this fuel sending unit replacement to say they’ve done something. Good luck!
I’m still of the opinion that it’s a design issue vs a fuel sending one. I spent about 10 minutes after the initial click off attempting to fill mine yesterday on a long trip. I waited 10 seconds after each click off and tried to barely activate the pump...5 times! Started it up and it was still under the full mark. Turbulence sound/visual tells me theres something about that filler tube/gas tank design just not working right. Tried one more squirt and after all the screwing around I was at just barely above the full mark at around 463 DTE. Within 20 miles its showed well below the full mark.
I’m still not hearing a thing from dealer or Toyota.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’m curious about this but not really hopeful. IMO Toyota is just doing this fuel sending unit replacement to say they’ve done something. Good luck!
I’m still of the opinion that it’s a design issue vs a fuel sending one. I spent about 10 minutes after the initial click off attempting to fill mine yesterday on a long trip. I waited 10 seconds after each click off and tried to barely activate the pump...5 times! Started it up and it was still under the full mark. Turbulence sound/visual tells me theres something about that filler tube/gas tank design just not working right. Tried one more squirt and after all the screwing around I was at just barely above the full mark at around 463 DTE. Within 20 miles its showed well below the full mark.
I’m still not hearing a thing from dealer or Toyota.
The Elevation and Plan schematics of the hybrid fuel tank location/configuration that you posted?

I think that tells the story in a nutshell.

The elevation shows that the tank is a uniform symmetrical rectangle, uniform in both the top and bottom of the tank, no high spot where the fuel fill neck enters the tank.

If the bladder developed an air pocket on the far side of the tank from the fuel filler entry point, the front, or over toward the front passenger seat, there is no fluid dynamic to the shape or sculpture of the tanks top that would encourage that air to leave. It will remain, cause 'turbulence' and mitigate the full useful capacity of the tank.

But that's just my opinion and speculation.

THAT would be a catastrophic design flaw worthy of a reward for that engineer, maybe a job at Microsoft.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This will be our next demand if Fuel Sending Unit does not fix problem.

Replace:
PARTS: 77001-OR100 TANK SUB-ASSY, FU
77169-06060 GASKET, FUEL SUCT

This seems to have fixed issue for a few people that have had it done - replacing TANK ASSY.
Just have to hope dealer will listen to our complaint and get authorization to do this. Seems like will not do anything unless Corporate will approve it. But I think if some dealers are performing this fix, should be able to also.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The Elevation and Plan schematics of the hybrid fuel tank location/configuration that you posted?

I think that tells the story in a nutshell.

The elevation shows that the tank is a uniform symmetrical rectangle, uniform in both the top and bottom of the tank, no high spot where the fuel fill neck enters the tank.

If the bladder developed an air pocket on the far side of the tank from the fuel filler entry point, the front, or over toward the front passenger seat, there is no fluid dynamic to the shape or sculpture of the tanks top that would encourage that air to leave. It will remain, cause 'turbulence' and mitigate the full useful capacity of the tank.

But that's just my opinion and speculation.

THAT would be a catastrophic design flaw worthy of a reward for that engineer, maybe a job at Microsoft.
What I don’t get is how some have the issue and others don’t. I suppose how these components go together or are installed may be why.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This will be our next demand if Fuel Sending Unit does not fix problem.

Replace:
PARTS: 77001-OR100 TANK SUB-ASSY, FU
77169-06060 GASKET, FUEL SUCT

This seems to have fixed issue for a few people that have had it done - replacing TANK ASSY.
Just have to hope dealer will listen to our complaint and get authorization to do this. Seems like will not do anything unless Corporate will approve it. But I think if some dealers are performing this fix, should be able to also.
Is this for entire tank replacement?

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
What I don’t get is how some have the issue and others don’t. I suppose how these components go together or are installed may be why.
I suspect many may have similar issues but it just isn't important enough to bother them. Whether the gauge goes to F or the DTE is 400, 500 or 600 doesn't really matter, they just put gas in and drive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is this for entire tank replacement?
It looks that way. I am not a mechanic, but pulled up parts on internet. This has seemed to work from others who have had it done, though it is a very small sample size that has had this repair done. It looks the most promising at this time. But still no official word from Toyota. Not sure if dealers are just doing this on their own, which seems unlikely.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I suspect many may have similar issues but it just isn't important enough to bother them. Whether the gauge goes to F or the DTE is 400, 500 or 600 doesn't really matter, they just put gas in and drive.
I’m sure to those who don’t have this issue, it’s meaningless. I guess Toyota saying it has a 600 mile range when in reality is less than 500 (or even 450) is meaningless. Having to fill the tank twice as often is also meaningless. Some folks are of the opinion this subject has been beat to death and there’s nothing left to say. I totally disagree.

21 - 40 of 597 Posts
About this Discussion
596 Replies
103 Participants
toyodaornot
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing