Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

4261 - 4264 of 4264 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone,

I wanted to follow up with a very small experiment that took inspiration along the lines of andaconda's original experiment of going well past DTE = 0. I decided that I'd drive my 2019 Hybrid Rav4 XLE beyond DTE=0 because I believe that the behavior of the lights, dials, displays, sensors, etc don't align with my expectations as to the current state of the fuel level in the car. Along with the few other points that I've made in my original post, and along with the observations made by andaconda, gpsman1, & RAVDoug I figured that I'd just share a data point or two.

I decided to let the DTE go to roughly DTE = -75. DTE doesn't actually display "-75" but displays "Refuel". I tracked it manually. Originally I intended to go to at least DTE = -100 or further but the Coronavirus lockdown has eliminated work travel for me and I just wanted to see if I could get "more fuel" in the tank so I decided to go fill up and see where the "first click" was.

My "first click" in the past, when DTE was in the range of 10 to 30, was always around 10 gallons.

FIRST CLICK (DTE ~ -75 prior to fill-up) - temperature outside 37 degrees:

SECOND CLICK (DTE ~ -75 prior to fill-up) - with about 2 minutes of "burp/pause time" between first click and start of top-off:

I did not perform anymore topping-off beyond the 2nd click.

I'm not surprised that I got ~3 more gallons into the tank than normal - I did drive about 100 miles past my "normal" fill-up point. Of course, I'll always be curious if I still had 1.1 gallons of fuel already in the tank after the 2nd click (1.1 + 13.4 = 14.5 max).

Note the position of the needle after the fill-up. Just a hair under "F"
RIGHT AFTER FILL-UP:

I should also note that once the car hit DTE = 0 I decided to put the car into "ECO" mode (really my first time ever using ECO mode), reset the MPG calculations, and did notice more judicious use of the battery while I drove and was able to get the MPG to something above 30 MPG (for the first time). While my MPG results are normally highly variable, the 41.3 MPG below was after about 45 miles on ECO (and after the MPG reset). Not a very scientific experiment, I will admit, it was more of a "Hey, I'm gonna just put it into ECO" now that I'm at DTE = 0. I hated to change variables like that, but the real curiosity was where my "first click" was gonna be during the fill-up and felt ECO mode would be inconsequential to the results. Do note my new DTE = 350 - on a "full" tank (with at least 13.5 gallons in there).

19 MILES BEFORE THE FILL-UP (I was just excited to have an MPG better than 30 MPG, even if it was short-lived). This was also a few days before the refill (note the outside temperature, it was a warm day).

Anyways, another set of data points for everyone. Enjoy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sounds consistent with most "problem" cars.

Not using the exceptionally large reserve plus not refilling all the way equals some really low range tanks.

4261 - 4264 of 4264 Posts