Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

4621 - 4640 of 5027 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lots of folks assumed the ‘20 would be ”fixed” but wasn’t and some other problems/recalls have occurred since.
Interesting that the 2020 never got fixed even though Toyota has been aware of the issue. They pretty much rolled out the same RAV4 as 2019 except with Android Auto/CarPlay as their exciting new feature. I feel like it's going to be too much of a hassle for them to change the entire fuel tank for this generation or they're taking their time trying to figure out another way around it. Either way, I wouldn't be so sure that anything will be fixed in 2021 because Toyota might still be sweeping things under the rug and hope that most consumers don't care or notice. Apparently its working because RAV4's are still selling like hotcakes so why rock the boat...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Interesting that the 2020 never got fixed even though Toyota has been aware of the issue. They pretty much rolled out the same RAV4 as 2019 except with Android Auto/CarPlay as their exciting new feature. I feel like it's going to be too much of a hassle for them to change the entire fuel tank for this generation or they're taking their time trying to figure out another way around it. Either way, I wouldn't be so sure that anything will be fixed in 2021 because Toyota might still be sweeping things under the rug and hope that most consumers don't care or notice. Apparently its working because RAV4's are still selling like hotcakes so why rock the boat...
Plenty of us 2020 owners are filling our tanks just fine. It seems that the earlier built 2020s have the fueling issue but my December 2019 built 2020 doesn’t have it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,624
Because many Toyota owners have been loyal repeat customers but now they may decide that they've had enough and take their business elsewhere next time around.
I was a loyal repeat customer until now.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I was a loyal repeat customer until now.
Say your car got bought back or totalled what would you get instead?

Because many Toyota owners have been loyal repeat customers but now they may decide that they've had enough and take their business elsewhere next time around.
There is nowhere else to take your business these days with long term in mind unless you want plethora of other issues or don't care about your hard earned cash and just switch cars every few years.

·
Registered
819 Posts
There is nowhere else to take your business these days with long term in mind unless you want plethora of other issues or don't care about your hard earned cash and just switch cars every few years.
If I was buying now, knowing what I know, I'd probably try my luck with a Mazda or Honda. I know these are not perfect options either but Toyota has disappointed me enough to believe that it may be time for a change. It seems that Toyota has become just another car brand and one that I no longer consider to be superior. However, since I'm not in the market at the moment, Toyota still has time to earn back some of my loyalty. I'm hoping they will.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hey everyone. I've been MIA here for a couple months. Just checking to see if there are any updates on this issue. Apparently the answer is an emphatic "No". :( Reading the most recent posts, it's as if I never left.

Well then.

I traded in my 2019 RAV4h for a 2020 Audi Q5-e PHEV. There are serious good deals to be had if you can swing it.

So in a sense, my fuel filling issue is over and done with. And I couldn't be happier with a vehicle than I am with the Q5-e.

I wish you all the best of luck getting Toyota to fix this issue, which was sometimes maddening for me, and sometimes "meh".

·
Registered
423 Posts
My guess is that they will never do anything about it. Then again..........it’s only a guess.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hey everyone. I've been MIA here for a couple months. Just checking to see if there are any updates on this issue. Apparently the answer is an emphatic "No". :( Reading the most recent posts, it's as if I never left.

Well then.

I traded in my 2019 RAV4h for a 2020 Audi Q5-e PHEV. There are serious good deals to be had if you can swing it.

So in a sense, my fuel filling issue is over and done with. And I couldn't be happier with a vehicle than I am with the Q5-e.

I wish you all the best of luck getting Toyota to fix this issue, which was sometimes maddening for me, and sometimes "meh".
I'm sure you've found the Audi forums to be much more genial compared to the rough and tumble Rav4 World. Stop back anytime and good luck with your new ride.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Well then.

Its hard to resist commenting on this choice but I would personally pick 10 other makers before considering Audi again and at that price point Model Y would be my top choice. Good luck with the ride! I am guessing we should see you back in Toyota forum in... a year or two :)

Reactions: hopes2

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,631
Say your car got bought back or totalled what would you get instead?

Possibly a ‘18-‘19 Highlander or look at Subaru and Honda. Truly haven’t looked yet. I see reasonably priced cars only going downhill from here. I just want good, reliable, economical transport with the extra bs as options. I may even try to find an older AWD Prius.
I refuse to give Toyota any new car business.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Possibly a ‘18-‘19 Highlander or look at Subaru and Honda. Truly haven’t looked yet. I see reasonably priced cars only going downhill from here. I just want good, reliable, economical transport with the extra bs as options. I may even try to find an older AWD Prius.
I stongly thought about '19 Highlander. Saw some great deals but AA and dynamic cruise is what I really wanted

·
Registered
427 Posts
^^^ Interesting that it is for builds through mid-April 2020, implying that late-April and May builds are ok (or maybe the plants were shut down for the virus???). Also implies that 2021s will have the fix.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Don't count out the BMW X3 just because of price, even though technically it competes in the luxury compact tier. It is a superb vehicle, with plenty of power in its basic 2.0 L turbo, gets up to 29mpg on the highway, and there are excellent lease deals around for it if you work at it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
^^^ Interesting that it is for builds through mid-April 2020, implying that late-April and May builds are ok (or maybe the plants were shut down for the virus???). Also implies that 2021s will have the fix.
This is consistent with what people are reporting in other, less emotionally driven threads. 2019s and earlier 2020s are affected but it looks like they may have fixed it for the later 2020 builds. My December 2019 built vehicle falls within this range but doesn’t appear to have the fueling issue, I wonder if it is a supplier or installation issue.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Don't count out the BMW X3 just because of price, even though technically it competes in the luxury compact tier. It is a superb vehicle, with plenty of power in its basic 2.0 L turbo, gets up to 29mpg on the highway, and there are excellent lease deals around for it if you work at it.
Really? Then why not a Volvo XC90?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would like to see the rest of the notification: "the following information is provided to inform you and your staff of the program notification and our degree of involvement"

This confirms the dual problem theory, early click off and larger reserve than expected.

I'm surprised that they are doing a full recall, notifying all customers, rather than a TSB to fix vehicles if customers complain of the issue. So the remaining questions are how long will it take to manufacture and get 133,400 tanks to dealers and the biggie, how effective will the fix be.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It will be interesting to see how you will qualify for the fix. I sort of don't have the fill problem. I fill up on using the lowest setting, as I have always done (in case the auto-shutoff fails, which has happened a couple times over the years), the expected (around 12 gal) amount goes in, and the needle ends up above F. But, it does click off a bit early, and I have to do the last few gallons manually after that. Hopefully, this will be enough to qualify for the fix, since I definitely want it, both for resale reasons and I want the latest revision.

4621 - 4640 of 5027 Posts