Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

4961 - 4980 of 5010 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone seen their distance-to-empty increase after taking their vehicle to the dealer? I have a 2019 RAV4 XLE Hybrid and took it in to the dealership today for its first regular maintenance visit today. Mysteriously, the range seems to have increased by ~70 miles after the visit. Nothing in the service log indicates that they did anything that should affect this.

I thought I was going crazy, so I even cross-checked to my last fillup. I usually only get a little over 500 miles on the distance-to-empty after filling up, but the current projected odometer reading at empty would correspond to a much higher distance-to-empty of about 600 miles at the last fillup

I suppose it's possible they reset something that affects the distance-to-empty calculation. I'll see if it goes back to how it was after some more driving.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Has anyone seen their distance-to-empty increase after taking their vehicle to the dealer? I have a 2019 RAV4 XLE Hybrid and took it in to the dealership today for its first regular maintenance visit today. Mysteriously, the range seems to have increased by ~70 miles after the visit. Nothing in the service log indicates that they did anything that should affect this.

I thought I was going crazy, so I even cross-checked to my last fillup. I usually only get a little over 500 miles on the distance-to-empty after filling up, but the current projected odometer reading at empty would correspond to a much higher distance-to-empty of about 600 miles at the last fillup

I suppose it's possible they reset something that affects the distance-to-empty calculation. I'll see if it goes back to how it was after some more driving.
Not to discount this one occurrence, but there's likely to be fluctuations based on many different variables like driving habit, temperature, venting or angle that the vehicle was at, etc. Since this was just a speculation based on one observation, I'd just keep note of it and see if there is a pattern. I would see random spikes or drops sometimes, but it usually evens out in the long run. I wouldn't try to extrapolate the future behavior of the vehicle on a one time event.

·
Registered
370 Posts

The only thing I've noticed following a visit to a Toyota Dealership Service Department is a feeling of loss. I've lost time from my life that I'll never get back and have little to show for it.

Seriously, I have had the DTE reset itself between errands into town, the vehicle being shut down in the driveway or garage between trips. Reasonably accounted for or explained by the local driving and low speeds being driven. My current "Historical" mileage (clipped and reset five tanks ago) is slowly edging upward and is at 43.4 MPG. The current tank mileage is at 55.3 MPG.

It's a contest for me. I will make it my task to see if I can goose the DTE to a point where it breaks 600. The current high mark is 577 set at my fourth fill up, ten days into ownership, last August.

As for you experiencing an increase in the DTE of approximately 70? Who knows what they could have done at the Service bay. They could have added gasoline, manually opening the access door so as to not reset the "Tank" values, they might have goosed something with Toyota Techstream, reset or calibrated a sending sensor, almost anything.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So refuelled today after 6 weeks. DTE<0, message REFUEL on the dash.
Drove it for about 35 miles (50km) more, refuelled at 543 miles (874km). Loaded 13,60 GAL/US (51.50 liters) until second click. Fuel gauge from below R to over F.
Tank average 40MPG (5.88 L/100km). Average consumption last 5000 miles 42MPG (5.6L/100km); total average over 13,000 miles 38.5 MPG (6.1 L/100km).
Outside temperature at this moment is 86 deg F (30 deg C); average temperature over the whole tank around 72 deg F (22 deg C). Always in ECO mode.
I'm happy...

·
Registered
316 Posts
refuelled at 543 miles (874km). Loaded 13,60 GAL/US (51.50 liters). Fuel gauge from below R to over F.
Works. As. Advertised. Now if we could just get fuel tanks/evap systems from The Netherlands in the U.S....

Reactions: VonJot

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just filled my 2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited (March 2020 build date in Canada). No issues filling up. The tank had about 30 per cent gas remaining when I filled up. The pump clicked off at the 90 per cent fill mark and I was able to pump enough gas in one additional session so that the dash fuel needle extended beyond the full mark. DTE reset at 920 km.

Perhaps the gas pump nozzles are different in Canada? Or, perhaps Canadian gas produces fewer vapours?

I have not received a fuel tank recall notice.

So far, I'm averaging 4.6 litres/100 km after almost 2,000 kms in Eco mode. Thank you Toyota Canada.

·
Registered
370 Posts
There is actually a CARB regulation states that "Premature nozzle shut-off” means any automatic shut-off of the vapor recovery nozzle before the vehicle fuel tank is filled to either 90 percent of the nominal fuel tank capacity or to within two gallons less than the nominal tank capacity, whichever corresponds to the smaller quantity of gasoline in the fuel tank.

In the case of RAV4 HV, 90% of the nominal fuel tank capacity on the first automatic shut-off applies. Therefore, since RAV4 HV is sold as a "CARB compliant/certified" vehicle, when the low fuel light comes on (2.2 gal remaining), we should be able to fill at least 10.85 gal on the first auto shut-off at the pump.
Here is the California Air Resource Board "Fill Pipe Test" document

The 'magic' search term to use is " shut-off "

Given the parameters outlined in this CARB document, I cannot believe Toyota furnished a "production line unit" for these tests. No way no how no no no.

My unit dependably and routinely FAILS the criteria put forth in the parameters of this regulation.

THAT is all you need, well, that and apparently, an Attorney in order to bring Toyota to heel.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here is the California Air Resource Board "Fill Pipe Test" document

The 'magic' search term to use is " shut-off "

Given the parameters outlined in this CARB document, I cannot believe Toyota furnished a "production line unit" for these tests. No way no how no no no.

My unit dependably and routinely FAILS the criteria put forth in the parameters of this regulation.

THAT is all you need, well, that and apparently, an Attorney in order to bring Toyota to heel.
EPA would have to be willing to test a production model and repeat the test at least 10 times to prove that it fails at a rate greater than 10 percent of the time as stated in the paper. I wonder who actually does the acceptance test, maybe a third testing party. It would be interesting to obtain the EPA testing data or the RAV hybrid.

·
Registered
812 Posts
EPA would have to be willing to test a production model and repeat the test at least 10 times to prove that it fails at a rate greater than 10 percent of the time as stated in the paper. I wonder who actually does the acceptance test, maybe a third testing party. It would be interesting to obtain the EPA testing data or the RAV hybrid.
These days the US government seems to allow mega-corps to self test their products. B737 Max 8 comes to mind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just received our Toyota letter about gas tank issue yesterday, so they are still being sent out. Must be in batches each week. Now the waiting begins, or continues.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Japan build date 2/20... have 487 miles. Tank had little less than 1/4...got tank filled today, station attendant removed hose after automatic shutoff. Took 9.3 gallons...tank full....gauge touch over F mark. Love this car!!!! My third Rav4, second Rav4 Hybrid...overall this clearly the best one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see a lot of advertisement for the Rav4 Prime but not much on the 2021 Hybrid. I wonder if this means Toyota will revise the fuel thank in the next model and already ship with the new fix. anyone talked to their dealership on when the 2021 will be available?

·
Registered
176 Posts
As stated in my previous post..."2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Japan build date 2/20... have 487 miles. Tank had little less than 1/4...got tank filled today, station attendant removed hose after automatic shutoff. Took 9.3 gallons...tank full....gauge touch over F mark. Love this car!!!! My third Rav4, second Rav4 Hybrid...overall this clearly the best one."....NO PROBLEM

·
Registered
677 Posts
I see a lot of advertisement for the Rav4 Prime but not much on the 2021 Hybrid. I wonder if this means Toyota will revise the fuel thank in the next model and already ship with the new fix. anyone talked to their dealership on when the 2021 will be available?
Toyota would be stupid if they don't start putting the new tanks in vehicles as soon as they can. Even if it means delaying the fix for the rest of us. Whether that's in time for 2021 models is anybody's guess.

·
Registered
465 Posts
As stated in my previous post..."2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Japan build date 2/20... have 487 miles. Tank had little less than 1/4...got tank filled today, station attendant removed hose after automatic shutoff. Took 9.3 gallons...tank full....gauge touch over F mark. Love this car!!!! My third Rav4, second Rav4 Hybrid...overall this clearly the best one."....NO PROBLEM
Give us an update after 5-10 fills..Mine was fine at first then slowly symptoms arise.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well they would be pretty stupid to put a bad gas tank in the 2021's and any remaining 2020's they make.
Presuming that they have managed to remove their heads from their orifice and remedy the issue.

I mean, this whole paradigm of putting gas in a car; it is such a brand new scenario, just popped up out of left-field. Back in the sixties, we put a man on the moon, somebody must be able to figure out how this is done.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,979
Toyota would be stupid if they don't start putting the new tanks in vehicles as soon as they can. Even if it means delaying the fix for the rest of us. Whether that's in time for 2021 models is anybody's guess.
Toyota better be fixing the problems they already have before they lose “the rest of us” as customers.

4961 - 4980 of 5010 Posts