Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

5161 - 5180 of 5193 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Blown away how many people lemon the car over this. I have a Jeep GC now for years and while I mostly like the car, the number of issues was insane, especially early on. This tank issue on the RAV doesn't really seem to affect its ability to run. To each their own, but you gotta pick your battles, for me personally there are far worse issues for cars.
It’s the deception and withholding of this issue that upset us. The car drives great and gets decent MPG. The build quality is good as well.

But when Toyota chose to not fix the problem and continue to sell the car in two consecutive years, that’s a problem. Had I known about the issue I would not have bought the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
It’s the deception and withholding of this issue that upset us. The car drives great and gets decent MPG. The build quality is good as well.

But when Toyota chose to not fix the problem and continue to sell the car in two consecutive years, that’s a problem. Had I known about the issue I would not have bought the car

My 2008 Nissan Xterra had an issue with a gas gauge that read wrong due to it hitting internals of the tank. It took two years for them to find and determine a fix and it also caused the car to stop on the road due to running out of gas. So it was a safety issue. So right now Toyota seems to be in the right time frame based on other manufactures. Interesting though is that many people have stated it is just USA vehicles which I am not sure why the physical tank is different except for the emission system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Expecting to fill your gas tank all the way to the full line is not unreasonable. This is inconvenient and annoying. Nobody told us this was going to happen if we bought the car I didn’t sign up for ithis, and neither did anybody else
To each their own, they claim they are working on it, I can go many miles below E and DTE 0, if they never fix it then that is another thing. Best of luck with whatever car you choose to get in place of it, its a mechanical item, they all have issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts

I hear you, I always do a search on car forums before buying any car. Does Microsoft provide a full list of every defect before you buy a PC? Not meaning to be argumentative, just making a point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does Microsoft provide a full list of every defect before you buy a PC?
That's a bit of a spurious comparison, Microsoft don't sell most PCs and most windows bugs don't manifest for the typical user. This fuel tank issue is hitting the majority if not all owners of the vehicle.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Only in the USA...So not even close to all owners!
The "only in the USA" issue is what is puzzling me. That means the US tanks are shaped differently to others which is interesting. People seemed to think the USA venting was the issue. Most people thought that the emission venting was causing the issue but it is the physical tank design and it deforming over time. So USA tanks must be shaped differently to enable deformation or maybe that really isn't the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I really don’t give a crap what the problem is regarding shape, deformation, emission, or vaporlock. I Just want it fixed immediately.
Toyota should get hit with a record fine for allowing this known issue to continue to the next model year.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Reputation, marketing, consumer ratings, those are all hits far more impactful than a fine which is a business expense tax deduction that taxpayers end up footing the bill over.

Toyota deserves to take a significant hit to its 'bottom line' over this fuel system design defect. The bigger the hit, the better as far as this owner is concerned.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Reputation, marketing, consumer ratings, those are all hits far more impactful than a fine which is a business expense tax deduction that taxpayers end up footing the bill over.

Toyota deserves to take a significant hit to its 'bottom line' over this fuel system design defect. The bigger the hit, the better as far as this owner is concerned.
I suppose they are basing the fall out on this on the overall negative effects that they had on the Prius gas tank years ago. I didn't think that hurt them too much. .

·
Registered
723 Posts
The "only in the USA" issue is what is puzzling me. That means the US tanks are shaped differently to others which is interesting. People seemed to think the USA venting was the issue. Most people thought that the emission venting was causing the issue but it is the physical tank design and it deforming over time. So USA tanks must be shaped differently to enable deformation or maybe that really isn't the cause of the problem.
Yeah, there definitely is a difference in the fuel tank and refueling system with the North America version. This is mentioned in the owner's manual -- read the section on refueling and it mentions some sort of "special structure" in the tank. The owner's manual in the EU and elsewhere omits this.

What nobody knows is why this special fuel tank exists. What are these special structures? What do they do? Are they directly related to the problem? The only guess that seems plausible to me is that it's related to the evaporative emissions system somehow. And from there we can draw a connection to the refueling problems.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, there definitely is a difference in the fuel tank and refueling system with the North America version. This is mentioned in the owner's manual -- read the section on refueling and it mentions some sort of "special structure" in the tank. The owner's manual in the EU and elsewhere omits this.

What nobody knows is why this special fuel tank exists. What are these special structures? What do they do? Are they directly related to the problem? The only guess that seems plausible to me is that it's related to the evaporative emissions system somehow. And from there we can draw a connection to the refueling problems.
Maybe some requirements for crash testing standards in North America or emission Seems a special structures would decrease deformations unless it is due to expansion being restricted in the tank

·
Registered
202 Posts
Toyota should get hit with a record fine for allowing this known issue to continue to the next model year.
Yep record fines for an inconvenience, forget GMs ignition switch issue where they decided lawsuits from people dying was cheaper than a recall, Ford Explorers rolling ove due to recomended underinflated tires to soften the ride, inconvience matters more

·
Registered
102 Posts
Filled ours up for the first time yesterday. We had between 1/8 and 1/4 left and it took about 9.5 to 10 gallons to fill from there.

·
Registered
352 Posts

44 miles left DTE (reserve light had not Illuminated)

Placed nozzle all the way into the neck. Ran it full throttle hands free. Stopped around 9 1/2 gallons.

Waited 30 seconds. Ran slow flow manually to 11.8 gallons.

Filled it slow a second click to 12.012 gallons.

Needle is above full 510 miles DTE

I am still on the list at my dealer for a new tank and I plan to have it replaced.

Unless I run my tank down near empty (1/8th full) it is a pain to fill above full on the fuel gauge.

Russ

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mostly due to 1 states lawmakers!
:p

Pesky and stupid humans, having the nerve to require clean air to breathe and imposing regulations on Corporate Capitalism to accommodate that requirement.

Just recockulous..

·
Registered
202 Posts
:p

Pesky and stupid humans, having the nerve to require clean air to breathe and imposing regulations on Corporate Capitalism to accommodate that requirement.

Just recockulous..
More like having knee jerk reactions for "we must do something", even if that something has the opposite effect as it was intended to do.

5161 - 5180 of 5193 Posts