Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

641 - 660 of 1320 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Out of curiosity how long did it take them to do the repair, did you ask how much this would be if not in warranty?
Same day. I could actually see progress through Toyota Remote Connect alerts app. When they started my XSE and took it into the service bay, they rolled down windows. I could see that alert under Vehicle Status tab. Same view also showed my nearly empty gas tank status and 7 miles to empty (they asked me to bring it in as low tank as possible). Several alerts later, maybe around 1 PM, I noticed full gas level and 550 miles to empty on screen! So even before I got the call for pick up, I already was aware it was done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same day. I could actually see progress through Toyota Remote Connect alerts app. When they started my XSE and took it into the service bay, they rolled down windows. I could see that alert under Vehicle Status tab. Same view also showed my nearly empty gas tank status and 7 miles to empty (they asked me to bring it in as low tank as possible). Several alerts later, maybe around 1 PM, I noticed full gas level and 550 miles to empty on screen! So even before I got the call for pick up, I already was aware it was done.
Sorry but I did not ask how much if out of warranty and same repair done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just took my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid XLE in today for the 5K service and had them look at the gas tank issue. I only get 378 max on a good fill. Almost 200 miles less than what others are getting. They are going through the steps but they have already told me there is a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have XLE made in Japan. I am having the same problems with filling up...the tank is not curved like regular gas tank..it is actually a 90 degree angle. I cant pump using auto pump, I have to pump it manually and holding it high and not touching either side of the tank to filled up....it jumped and I pushed again till it jumped. I went to the car and see that it is at 520 miles...highest I ever got. I will still bring it in to have them looked at...hope to get the tank replaced or sth...cuz gas pumping shouldn't be this hard. Hve to hold it up each time..cant use auto pump.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm still a bit flabbergasted reading all of this. I own one of the first EU-delivered XSE's from Japan. None of the issues occur with my car. I can fill-up fully; fuel gauge over the "F"-mark and DTE always gives me between 850km (== 530mi) and 900km (== 560mi). Done 5300mi now; never had any problem filling her up. Normally refuel @500mi.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I drove down to the low fuel warning today. Dispayed DTE was 30. Distance traveled on that tankful was 408 miles. The previous refuel had the gauge just a hair below "F" and DTE of 460. Today the car claimed I got 42.0 MPG on that tank.

During the slow refuel today, the nozzle shut off at 9.2 gallons. I asked the attendant to give it another squeeze. To my surprise another 1.7 gallons went in without tripping the nozzle. Total fuel pumped was 10.962 gallons. The fuel gauge is now solidly above "F" and the new DTE is 556.

The fuelly-calculated MPG dropped to 37.2 for this refueling because I was able to get more in the tank this time than the previous fill-up. My overall fuelly-calculated MPG now stands at 40.4 for 1600 miles.

Crazy. I got nuthin.
Yes it’s crazy..... I can get my tank to full on every fill up but my DTE only will get between 480-490. It was only in the 500’s after buying from dealership and while filling in Oregon as I believe nozzles are different there vs California ( no rubber nozzle fixtures). After my one episode where I was trying to “top off” my tank and no shut off where gas guzzled out everywhere I only do no more than 1-1.5 gallon top off but know it can take more. Going to discuss with dealership at 5 K Maitenance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was trying to “top off” my tank and no shut off where gas guzzled out everywhere
I emphasized this point in my NHTSA filing, listing it as a safety/environmental/fire hazard...

·
Registered
428 Posts
So I wonder seems like a lot more folks are getting their fuel tanks replaced which obviously authorized by Toyota, perhaps that is the fix they are betting on. If that wasn't the fix then they would have known by now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So I wonder seems like a lot more folks are getting their fuel tanks replaced which obviously authorized by Toyota, perhaps that is the fix they are betting on. If that wasn't the fix then they would have known by now.
That’s not the fix and according to my case manager they have stopped replacing tanks due to the low success rates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just took my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid XLE in today for the 5K service and had them look at the gas tank issue. I only get 378 max on a good fill. Almost 200 miles less than what others are getting. They are going through the steps but they have already told me there is a problem.
UPDATE from the dealer. They just called and said that they called Toyota and they are aware of the problem however there is no fix for it at this time. They opened a case for me and if there is a fix they will let me know. They said it's not a safety issue. Just an issue of me paying for a car that is not performing as advertised on the big billboards on the side of the freeways.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #655
Could just as possibly be dealers trying something to keep important customers happy with some kind of action and demanding Toyota cover it. IMO the official Toyota authorized fix will be published in a TSB. It may well be a fuel tank replacement but it sure hasn’t been published as such.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #656
UPDATE from the dealer. They just called and said that they called Toyota and they are aware of the problem however there is no fix for it at this time. They opened a case for me and if there is a fix they will let me know. They said it's not a safety issue. Just an issue of me paying for a car that is not performing as advertised on the big billboards on the side of the freeways.
Did they give you a case number? I’d call Toyota Corp (800-331-4331) just to be sure they opened a case in your name. Remember, what your dealer might say about this problem may be very different than what you’d say. Hey, it can’t hurt to check.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just a quick update... Toyota bought mine back due to this defect and Oregon State Lemon Law terms of 3 failed repair attempts. For me they never tried anything short of filling the tank but not my problem. I was able to get a 100% refund of my purchase price (all taxes, licensing fees, accessories, clear bra, warranty, and ALL lease payments I'd made). Toyota had lost a customer for life until they made it so easy to "undo" the situation I think I'd do it again.
To everyone with this problem:
DON'T GIVE UP; KEEP FIGHTING!
Also, PM me for advice or for my lawyer's info.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
They did get a case number and listed it on my repair papers. I’ll defin call and follow up with Toyota. Ultimately I just want them to come up with a solution. I love my car and would prefer not to use the lemon law. I will if I have to but again I did my research and that was the car I chose so I hope Toyota figures out the permanent fix soon.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #660 (Edited)
Just a quick update... Toyota bought mine back due to this defect and Oregon State Lemon Law terms of 3 failed repair attempts. For me they never tried anything short of filling the tank but not my problem. I was able to get a 100% refund of my purchase price (all taxes, licensing fees, accessories, clear bra, warranty, and ALL lease payments I'd made). Toyota had lost a customer for life until they made it so easy to "undo" the situation I think I'd do it again.
To everyone with this problem:
DON'T GIVE UP; KEEP FIGHTING!
Also, PM me for advice or for my lawyer's info.
Good for you. I may end up PMing you myself!
As an aside...whenever I talk with my caseworker, she is very aware of most of my history with Toyota’s and seems quite anxious to keep me as happy as she’s able to. She even brought up looking up my state’s Lemon Laws as a potential action I may want to take. Toyota may want to offer certain “incentives” on this problem to keep loyal, paying customers into the future.

641 - 660 of 1320 Posts