Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HD radio suddenly started acting strangely, on Friday. At first, I thought it was the radio station I was tuned to, but after exploring things yesterday, the symptoms occur on all stations, both AM and FM, with the exception of SirusXM. First, the screen no longer displays the orange HD symbol, beside the station, which allows you to prompt the secondary menu, and select other digital stations. The station I normally listen to has 2 other digital stations. The second issue, is all stations, (except SirusXM) fade completely out and back on, for 2-3 seconds, every 5 seconds, making listening unbearable. I have read the manuals, looking for help, but cannot find anything related to this malfunction. The other functions, in Entune, seem to be fine. Audio from iPhone works fine. I am getting ready to take a trip, and definitely stressed about this. I guess, better now, than in the middle of the trip. I will contact the dealer tomorrow, and take it in. Does anyone have any ideas, or any experience with similar problems? My first thoughts were around the antenna.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like the antenna connection is loose or possibly a ground.
Not sure if the Rav4 has an antenna mast or if it's located in the windows.
Possibly pull the head unit and ensure the antenna plug is secured tightly in the back of the head unit.
Follow the antenna cable and see if there are any couplers that might be loose.
If it has an antenna mast make sure it is tightened down.
Check the weather reports for any solar flare activity. See if we are in some type of geomagnetic storm or something.

Or have the dealer check it out.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
You need to take this in and have it fixed under warranty.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to take this in and have it fixed under warranty.
I can't wait to get this fixed. I have less than 650 miles on this vehicle, and not happy I am having to deal with this issue. I am hopeful, it is just a minor issue. Do love driving this vehicle, every time.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
I can't wait to get this fixed. I have less than 650 miles on this vehicle, and not happy I am having to deal with this issue. I am hopeful, it is just a minor issue. Do love driving this vehicle, every time.
I think most dealers would just swap out the head unit for a new one. Of course, they won't have a new one and will have to order it.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got back from having my radio head replaced. It took one dealer visit to verify it was really defective (11/2 hrs), 5 days to have it shipped, and another 1 hr. visit, to get it replaced. I setup it up again, and I am now back to where I started. They did a fine job not messing up my dash, which I was honestly concerned about. I guess Toyota, did a good job, designing the radio to be easily removed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Seems highly unlikely that the headunit itself went "bad".

HD requires a strong digital FM signal, and if it's not above that threshold to be decoded, it reverts back to analog FM, which you can listen to until it fades out completely.

It was something with the inability to get a good signal. Possibly antenna connection. Possibly external RFI.

Where is the FM antenna on the new Rav4? On windshield? Or above the gate?

·
Registered
450 Posts

HD requires a strong digital FM signal, and if it's not above that threshold to be decoded, it reverts back to analog FM, which you can listen to until it fades out completely.

It was something with the inability to get a good signal. Possibly antenna connection. Possibly external RFI.

Reason why it didn't work will not do "blueumbrella" any good. He paid for a new car with good money for a working unit.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The head unit was bad, and it did not have anything to do with the strength of the signal. They did extensive diagnostics, and even found additional symptoms, I had not identified, which further demonstrated head unit malfunction.

It seemed obvious to me, since I had not moved to a different area, where the signal strength may have changed. In addition, the symptoms were not random, but occurred in a regular pattern. The radio faded completely out for 2 seconds, and then back on for 5 seconds, repeateding this pattern, non stop, on all stations.

The new head unit, now works perfectly. I am not surprised, that a small number of these units do fail, for any number of reasons. I am surprised, it happened to me! The good thing is, since the number that fail is very small, statistically, with my head unit failure, all RAV4 Hybrid owners on this forum, will be spared from experiencing this same issue :)

Reactions: Butts

·
Registered
386 Posts
the HD radio would no longer go to HD mode, and in a regular pattern, the radio faded out completely for 2 seconds, and then came back on for 5 seconds, repeatedly, non stop, on all stations.
Ohh. It sounded like it was going from HD mode to analog mode and back to HD. If it's going out completely then it's "bad".
I had HD FM receivers for 10+ years and they constantly went in an out of digital and analog. It's been much worse in the recent years with everything having switching power supplies in them. Lots of RFI in the air. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts