Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to transfer over my aftermarket headunit, I was just wondering what would be the best way to remove the stock head unit. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
swjet11 said:
I'm looking to transfer over my aftermarket headunit, I was just wondering what would be the best way to remove the stock head unit. Thanks alot.
I don't know which unit you've got, but I've got a 2005 4.2 and here's what I found when I swapped out mine for a Scion T1804.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1594&highlight=

In essence,

1) disconnect battery,
2) pry (2005) or unscrew (earlier 2.4) the side caps carefully,
3) unscrew 4 bolts and remove the AC / trim piece being careful around the thin spots
4) Remove the unit, unplugging the 4 wires in place.

Reverse procedure to install.

Here's a picture of the final install;

http://flickr.com/photos/segwayne/70131130/in/set-1509238/

Wayne

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Wayne, is the scion unit that you bought the one that changes colors? I bought one on ebay that is exactly like yours, but i haven't installed it on my car yet because i don't have the right tools to unscrew the panel. I paid $51.02 including shipping for mine. I got the manual too, but i didn't read anything about the screen changing colors. I can change the text, but not the colors. Is the changing colors thing a standard feature on the scion radio?

·
Registered
214 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
Wayne, is the scion unit that you bought the one that changes colors? I bought one on ebay that is exactly like yours, but i haven't installed it on my car yet because i don't have the right tools to unscrew the panel. I paid $51.02 including shipping for mine. I got the manual too, but i didn't read anything about the screen changing colors. I can change the text, but not the colors. Is the changing colors thing a standard feature on the scion radio?
Hi Miriam,

Honestly, I can't answer that question. I know there are some codes you can enter, just like a cheat code on a xbox game, but since the screens are already a matching orange, I never bothered checking further. Sorry. Google?

I did find and change the startup text from "Scion" to "RAV 4", but the sound quality is still 10x better than the stock Toyota unit IMHO, plus it resolved all my problems with radio reception..

On the plus side, being able to torx out the side panels rather than prying them off is a bit easier, if only you had the torx screwdriver. :)

Wayne

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks Wayne for the reply. I was looking around in Brandsport and browsed through the Scion stuff, and there they were: both radios, 6cd and single, and the one that has the 10 LCD color screen thing is the 6cds one... bummer... :(

I got the tools yesterday, so i'll probably do that today. Is it really necessary to disconnect the battery to do this? I'm no car savy and i'm scared that i might mess something up under the hood since the battery is covered with something. I'm like a person who just started to use a computer, afraid of touching something and screwing it up :oops: :? :roll:

·
Registered
214 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
Is it really necessary to disconnect the battery to do this?
Lemme explain this as clearly as possible.

The first car I ever owned, I had no idea what I was doing. It was a 1979 Mazda GLC. Turns out Mazda had two power leads, not just one, and I had left one dangling. After about 3 days, it touched and welded itself to the frame of the car, meaning no matter what I did, every light on the car was non-operational except for the headlights.

We replaced fuses. We even rewired the entire car from front to back to no avail. When I went in to an actual stereo shop, it took the guy 4 minutes to resolve the problem (after spending about $500 elsewhere).

Why am I telling you this? First, to prove that I know two things about automotive electronics, "and jack left town" as the saying goes. Secondly, that when it comes to automotive electronics, I'm probably very much on the "safe than sorry" side.

For the record, Matthew at Bestbuy did NOT take the battery loose, but he was a professional. I would have, because that's always the very first thing any install guide says. Your mileage may vary.

From what I saw, sitting next to him and watching him on this approximately 13 minute, $50 install, it was literally a piece of cake. Just don't forget to snugly plug in the antenna. Me? I don't do car stereo installs.. Not gonna happen.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks Wayne for sharing your story :p. I'll try changing my radio when i get the courage to do so, or when i can get someone else to help me with it, although i think if i did it myself, i'd feel proud and happy that i finally did something without someone's physical help (cuz i DO get lots of theorical help :p).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may be right about the slight possibility of welding a wire or something, but nowdays wire harnesses are generally used ... especially if you're dealing with a stock radio. There should be zero hanging loose wires, you should just unplug the harness from the old unit andf plug it into the new one. I've been putting stereos and amplifiers in my cars and friend's cars for years now and never had a problem with anything like that - be SUPER SAFE if you want, but I've never had any problems. Its not as difficult as you think to change the head unit - about the easiest car mod you can make.

·
Registered
93 Posts
[/quote] if your putting the stock scion, the wire harness would be exactly the same as stock unit, so theres little chance of doing any damage by not removing batt. you may have to remove the brackets from bothe sides of the head unit and transfer them to the scion unit as they are different, you can only put in three screws instead of 4 on each side but it'l do the job, the single cd doesnt change color, only for the 6 cd's. Not sure if single disc also has the sound processing feature(hear, feel, neutral settings) definitely worth it
[/u]

·
Registered
214 Posts
bngski said:
Not sure if single disc also has the sound processing feature(hear, feel, neutral settings) definitely worth it
It does have those settings, and yes, it's worth it.

Wayne

·
Registered
875 Posts
worst case scenario calls for you to unplug the battery...negative side is fine. Don't worry about the positive one. It's covered with a red cap that basically says, "no no. don't touch me." I was scared doing this myself too, but I did it to install my HID's and i'm still alive to talk about it. Unless you make more than $50 in fifteen minutes (that's $200 per hour for 8 hrs straight), you may want to just unplug the battery. it's easy. really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts