Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out my head cylinder and got it machined. As I prepped for putting it back on I saw heli-coil when I was cleaning the threads!!!!

When I use the new bolts they seem to hold? I am so confused. The original owner said she never had a head gasket replaced.

Do I just put on the head and pray or do I need to buy some heli-coil for the head cylinder bolts?

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
If they torque down normally I'd not worry.
You can never know for sure what's been done on an older engine.
I doubt it came from Toyota that way but the previous owner may not even know what having a head gasket replaced means.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well they held the 59 pounds of torque but ONE bolt stripped when I went and did the 90 degree turn. So now I have to figure out if I go with the $450 time sert or buy a new used car :(

·
Registered
272 Posts
sorry to hear that
if you go the Time Sert route I believe you will need to use a different tool , I think it is called Big or something like that, it is intended for fixes where people previously used a helicoil or similar solution
the reason being the standard tool is meant for what came from the factory, if a helicoil has been used it has already been drilled out and a different diameter drill is used

yes, the Time Sert is expensive, but if you can read and follow directions your chances of success are near 100%, the only other variable being your common sense, they have everything worked out for you
it can be done using a helicoil but you have to figure out the particulars and gather the required tools, the Time Sert tool is the way to go for the back yard mechanic, many pros probably would agree. I sold mine on Craigs list to a mechanic who was going to use it on a Camry he had bought for near nothing because of the blown head gasket.

BTW, the torque directions for the head assumes new head bolts, and new clean threads, so if bolts are being reused or on the bolts where a helicoil or TimeSert hasn't been used it would be wise not to follow the give it a 90 degree turn. I have repaired head gaskets before in motorcycles and cars and never followed the recommended torquing because I was reusing bolts and threads, in the case of cars into cast iron, in motorcycles cast aluminum. I did it by feel, which you aquire over time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts