1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
432 Posts
Dude, don't waste your time with this ebay one. Just get the one from summit racing for the celica. It's also about the same price. Its the one mensajero has and he knows what it will take to install it. Call it a proven platform if you will.

Follow him... :twisted:

God knows he will always be a step ahead of me :lol:

Maybe someday, I'll get the jump on him :roll:

·
Registered
432 Posts
go to summitracing.com and in the search box enter this

PSM-70-1155

That's the part number for the header.

There is some custom fab work that needs to be done to get it to fit on the cylinder head, and a thinggy (i forget what's its called right now) has to be welded on for the O2 sensor. Get a hold of mensajero for all the beef on it. 8)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey pancake, I've really heard from a lot of people that Borla is not worth it. The price tag doesn't compare with the performance that other brands will give you for a better price. Although you can't **** with that million mile warranty, especially where I live (Michigan)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what he has. But the price the guy quoted you isn't too shabby.

When I go to do my exhaust (again, rotten snow and salt is killer)
it will be with a turbo setup and 3S-GTE engine installed. So at that time the answer will be some type of tubo muffler. But that won't be for a little while yet :roll: darn....

If you check on mensajero's postings, you should find pics and possibly what muffler he used.

Later

·
Registered
10,239 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Sorry, regarding the Header. Use the Pace Setter 70-1155. It's the only one available, that I've tried, that will fit. For performance, this is a must do mod. But don't leave the OEM pipes. What size. Their has been a debate regarding pipe size. In my experience, the TRD muffler that I had was 2". It worked well with the stock engine. Even though I felt that at times it was going to swallow the air filter. As I kept stepping up outer parts, [Nology, Tri-Phase, TRD Thermostat, TRD Cap, oil coolers etc] the engine ran better, but it needed more exhaust to really let the power loose. In comes the Header, Pipes and muffler. That did the trick. I used 2.25" pipes. Even though the Muffler, Catalitic Converter, Resonator are 2.5". If I upgreade to a turbo engine. I just cut the ends and use 2.5 pipes. I would just like to ajust the valves a little. :roll:

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Son, take your time. Buy what ever you can, and put away in your garage. I have been doing that since I enrolled in this forum. When it was still black with yellow letters. [Since 1999, I think, correct me Kelly if I'm wrong] Once you have everything you need, then you make your move.

I remember this dude who was on this forum. He went by the name of Chevy chewy. He always criticized what ever I wanted to do. I was always asking, checking, debating. Some times Andrew and Moza [who were the eyes and ears of the forum at that time] had to intervene because he and I were going at it. That was when a word came out that I always remember Andrew. That word is Relentless.

You have one very big weapon. Your RAV4. Its dependability is outstanding. Giving you more time to save and buy premium parts. Time, is on your side…

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:D

im not even sure i can get anything yet, i get really excited about these things and then my parents and uncle get on me...i was explaining the idea i posted about on rav4oz about the intake pipe under the headlight to my mom and she told me i had to ask my uncle about it and have him drive here (like 30-45 mins away) just to talk about this when we can do it over the phone, he thinks cars shouldn't have anything done to them, which is BORING :D so i told my parents i dont want him to help at all and this is my money, my car, i'd like to do the things i want to do to it, my parents know that i research things for an unhealthy amount of time and if i get into something especially when it involves money that i pick out the right thing and i've definately found the right people to help me with it, she doesn't understand that this site is ONLY for the cool people :p and you guys have the same thing i have, so you've been there and know what your talking about...

i missed out on the intake on ebay ill just wait for another i guess, my mom said she wanted to talk to my uncle before just getting the intake, not even converting it to CAI, i told her under the front is more likely of water getting into the engine, and then my idea which is below the headlight is (i think) better

and i will take my time, i tend to rush things and mess them up but this is my baby, i love it :D if i get the header i wouldn't be installing that myself but the exhaust place could put it on i guess when i get my exhaust done, which i have to save more up for anyways

its a good idea too because i dont want to be so used to driving it stock and then the next day have it go all over the place :roll:

im probably rambling now, hopefully i can convince my parents to let me buy these things, telling them that i plan on taking my time and buying the most important first (which i think im going for intake, then header and exhaust, then other things) and slowing buying the new parts will convince them enough...it must be nice being able to do whatever you want :p

S

·
0 Posts
Pancake, Exactly how old are you? If you are still pre-college age, do you have enough saved for college? College is uper-expensive, and if you plan to go, that would be a wiser investment than your car. I really hate saying that, but it is right. After college, your money gets freed up, and you have a good paying job, so than you can really do things :twisted:

Some people have different ideas about their cars. My parents are of the kind who think of them as straight capital and transportation. They don't understand the desire of my brother and me for modding our vehicles. Financially, as mensajero pointed out in the Consumers Reports article, it doesn't make sense. Not to mention Toyota carefully engineers these engines for longevity, safety, and compatibility. Some people don't like messing with that engineering. But, for some, such as I, it isn't about the money. I know my vehicle is going to be a money pit, that isn't the point. I feel the need to create a totally unique vehicle that I have pride in. The reason is totally intrensic. I do it for me, no one else, and for no reason greater than it pleases me 8)

So consider this if you still need to pay for college: Tune the Rav, or wait, pay for college, have more of your money afterwards going back to yourself, and build the Rav, or any other car (BMW M5?)? Just something to ponder.

Oh, and mensajero, whatever happened to Chewy? I think I remember the two of you arguing back in 2003 (2002?) when I joined up. And I miss andrew bein on here, now I have to go all the way over to the OZ forum to find the wise man's wisdom. That, and he is extremely encouraging and understands how alot of us tuners (or in my case wannabe tuner) feel about their cars.

Oh, and Pancake, another peice of advice, kinda contrary to Mensajero, I say create a special bank account (preferbly savings) somewhere with the money for the parts. Rather than buying them peice by peice, save for a while, and than just buy it in one big shot. Your money would gain interest (although prolly not much), you would save valuable garage space (always a huge plus), and it would give you a little more time to do research and find out if there have been any previous problems with the parts combos you are thinking.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just turned 16 so im probably the youngest person on here, and its kinda wierd knowing that, i feel out of place...

my dad is paying for my college i think, and im not even sure where im going yet and what for

so my money is pretty much mine to do what i want with it, but only what my parents allow me, which does suck...i know its going to be at least a couple monhts before my parents even let me do anything and its probably a good idea because i could get some money saved up

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
SZRimaging said:
Pancake,
...Oh, and mensajero, whatever happened to Chewy? I think I remember the two of you arguing back in 2003 (2002?) when I joined up. And I miss andrew bein on here, now I have to go all the way over to the OZ forum to find the wise man's wisdom. That, and he is extremely encouraging and understands how alot of us tuners (or in my case wannabe tuner) feel about their cars.
Well, SZRimaging, regarding Chevy :twisted: Chewy I really don't know. When you see a person criticizing ever one and everything. Those are person who envy everybody and everything. "Actions talk, Bull S_ _t walks. We are still here." Thank GOD, I've haven't heard from him.

Pancake, I think SZRimaging has a point. That is why I said, "Time is on your side." :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts