Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone answer a quick question please? On the 4.1 U.K.there are three relays low down on the right side just above the kick plate including one brown in the middle and two black. Are any of these linked to low and high beam operationor power supply as I have already checked and changed the headlamp bulbs, checked the fuses under the bonnet and changed the headlamp brown relay plus the stalk switch and can't find the earths on the rad framework as yet. No competent electrician available for weeks sadly.
Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is the third thread begun by the OP on this topic within the last two weeks. I gave my recommendations here: Still no headlights help needed please .
I am sorry if I am causing irritation here but I am just a Gen 1 owner trying to establish if there is a simple answer to losing my headlights. I have no power to the left and right headlamp 15 amp fuses under the bonnet I swapped out the brown HLamp relay but I believe there may be other relays involved in supplying power too. I am trying to exclude the simple fixes before waiting three weeks for a mobile auto electrician to finally arrive.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
820 Posts
It is not irritation at all. To be honest, @Elle_Rav4 is the best source of Gen1 information and post 4 on your previous thread gives direction. To my mind, it does seem like a circuit issue and this is in need of testing. If you can read circuit diagrams and are handy with a DVOM, all good, dive in and check circuits, powers and grounds in line with post 4.

If not, you are probably best to wait save causing any damage.

Just my view though

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not irritation at all. To be honest, @Elle_Rav4 is the best source of Gen1 information and post 4 on your previous thread gives direction. To my mind, it does seem like a circuit issue and this is in need of testing. If you can read circuit diagrams and are handy with a DVOM, all good, dive in and check circuits, powers and grounds in line with post 4.

Just my view though

Just my view though
Thanks I dont like to be beaten but in this case my limited knowledge has failed to find the culprit though the plug or wiring into the steering switch may be suspect. I keep hearing about a high ampage 'master fuse' that needs to be checked but damned if I know where that one is??? There is power to the relay. Guess I just have to be patient. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
820 Posts
I have just looked at @Elle_Rav4 wiring diagram (page 30). As you have working DRL's, as both of these are fed off the 10A fuse (right bulb), we are good to there.

You will need to check power at the bulb (red/black wire). If you have a DVOM or test light check this. If this is good, you have a bad ground. Check this by back pinning pin2 and putting the wire on Battery negative (thinking about it, do this first as I think you have a bad ground) - do the same for the left bulb because this is on a separate circuit.

Both bulbs are grounded separately on the right and left radiator support

Hope this helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for this I have no power to the lamp plugs so it does seem to be something effecting both sides are the high ampage 60a fuses linked into the circuit too?

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
820 Posts
@Stephen Rawlins from what I recall your DRL's are working. Assuming I am correct, then you have power coming from thew 40A fuse, going through the relay and going through the right LP-HP 10A fuse and powering up the DRL's

As you have no power at the headlight bulb, then there must be a break in the wire from where it exits the "Engine Room R/B on left hand strut tower" to the connection at the bulb. You need to fix this and check the ground too. See @Elle_Rav4 wiring diagram page 30 on the previous post.

If it were me, I would use an incandescent test light and connect B+ to the power side of the bulb and check if it lights (then good bulb and ground)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for this I have no power to the lamp plugs so it does seem to be something effecting both sides are the high ampage 60a fuses linked into the circuit too?
@Stephen Rawlins from what I recall your DRL's are working. Assuming I am correct, then you have power coming from thew 40A fuse, going through the relay and going through the right LP-HP 10A fuse and powering up the DRL's

As you have no power at the headlight bulb, then there must be a break in the wire from where it exits the "Engine Room R/B on left hand strut tower" to the connection at the bulb. You need to fix this and check the ground too. See @Elle_Rav4 wiring diagram page 30 on the previous post.

If it were me, I would use an incandescent test light and connect B+ to the power side of the bulb and check if it lights (then good bulb and ground)

Hope this helps
Thanks really helpful will report back to assist others in the future.

·
Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, JDM engine installed in 2013
1,316 Posts

From Stephen's first post at www.rav4world.com/threads/still-no-headlights-help-needed-please.314537/#post-2876293 :
4) Changed the head lamp relay no head lights are lit.
6) Checked power to relay and dipped lamps do illuminate if piins are crossed with wire to jump them
I take Stephen's comment right above to mean that, when he jumpered the H-LP Relay socket Pin 1 and Pin 2, the headlamps worked. Per page 30 of the wiring diagrams, this says to me the problem is most likely in the wire or wire connection points running from:
  • H-LP Relay socket Pin 3
  • Down the Red/White wire
  • Through the Instrument Panel Junction Box
  • Through the Combination Switch (light control switch mounted on the steering wheel column), Pin 8
  • Through the Combination Switch Pin 16
  • To the kick panel grounding point at G200
I would remove the combination switch and carefully jumper pin 8 and 16 of the female side of the combination switch connector. Pin 8 should have 12 volts. Pin 16 should go to ground. To minimize sparking, first insert a jumper end into Pin 8, and then insert the other jumper end into Pin 16, as shown below:

With Pin 8 and Pin 16 jumpered, do the headlamps light?

For the archives, the male side of the combination switch connector:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts