Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Limited RAV4 has LED headlights. Having had factory LED headlights on other cars, I wanted them specifically. However, I was quite disappointed with their performance and just recently made attempts to correct them via modifying their aim.

I noticed that the left and right were aimed to shine the same distance. Other cars I've owned always had the right light aimed higher. With that in mind, I turned the adjustment screw counter-clockwise to raise the aiming point about 1", in my garage. I took it out and was impressed with the improvement. The light still has a slight dip but now shines maybe 20' further. At the 2 o'clock position, it also shines nicely on the surface when there was zero light before.

Then I raised the left headlight maybe ¼", in my garage. This also had quite an improvement on the left side. The beam extends a bit further and, at the 10 o'clock position there is actual light where there was none before.

So far no one has flashed me. Driving alongside Jersey (F type) barriers I can see that the lights still dip at distance, on both sides. I can only conclude that Toyota is far too conservative with headlight aiming, to the point of nullifying the usually superior performance of LEDs.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you don't get flashed, you're probably OK. I think that most car makers are setting their headlights the same height between right and left, especially with the newer LED's. At least you didn't have a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek. It DIDN'T have LED headlights and you couldn't see squat at night. Scared the crap out of me to drive it at night and I've got old eyes. In fact, it was one of those cars that got a very poor grade for headlight brightness, but I didn't find that out until after I bought it. I haven't noticed an issue with my Rav4's headlights since it was such a vast improvement over the Subaru, but next time I have my headlights on in the garage, I'll see if I can see what you're indicating.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That’s weird. My ‘19 XLE Premium came with perfect adjustment from the factory. It actually proved useful for comparison after installing HIDs on my 2013 CX-5. I had to adjust the CX-5 projectors because they were way too high after moving from halogens. Definitely try adjusting per the instructions provided above. Mazda specifically called for 10 ft with like 1.8” drop, 25 ft works too as suggested with a further drop.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My Limited RAV4 has LED headlights. Having had factory LED headlights on other cars, I wanted them specifically. However, I was quite disappointed with their performance and just recently made attempts to correct them via modifying their aim.

I noticed that the left and right were aimed to shine the same distance. Other cars I've owned always had the right light aimed higher. With that in mind, I turned the adjustment screw counter-clockwise to raise the aiming point about 1", in my garage. I took it out and was impressed with the improvement. The light still has a slight dip but now shines maybe 20' further. At the 2 o'clock position, it also shines nicely on the surface when there was zero light before.

Then I raised the left headlight maybe ¼", in my garage. This also had quite an improvement on the left side. The beam extends a bit further and, at the 10 o'clock position there is actual light where there was none before.

So far no one has flashed me. Driving alongside Jersey (F type) barriers I can see that the lights still dip at distance, on both sides. I can only conclude that Toyota is far too conservative with headlight aiming, to the point of nullifying the usually superior performance of LEDs.
How easy was it to access the screws to raise the aim? I didn't see them from the top after opening the hood.
Did you take out any panels to find these screws? It will be nice if you can post some pics of these screw and how to find them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How easy was it to access the screws to raise the aim? I didn't see them from the top after opening the hood.
Did you take out any panels to find these screws? It will be nice if you can post some pics of these screw and how to find them.
Access is easy and nothing has to be moved or removed. I had to stand on a stool to look far enough in.

This is the passenger side adjuster:

This is the driver side adjuster:

You can simply use a 10mm short socket (¼" drive is small enough to fit). Of course, you can also use a special headlight adjustment tool to turn the toothed end of the adjustment wheel (the tool sits in the shaft easil visible in the 1st photo).

Using the socket, turning counter clockwise raises the beam, turning clockwise lowers it. Before you turn anything, mark the center of the hot spot on your garage wall for reference.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Access is easy and nothing has to be moved or removed. I had to stand on a stool to look far enough in.

This is the passenger side adjuster:
View attachment 148702

This is the driver side adjuster:
View attachment 148704

You can simply use a 10mm short socket (¼" drive is small enough to fit). Of course, you can also use a special headlight adjustment tool to turn the toothed end of the adjustment wheel (the tool sits in the shaft easil visible in the 1st photo).

Using the socket, turning counter clockwise raises the beam, turning clockwise lowers it. Before you turn anything, mark the center of the hot spot on your garage wall for reference.
I believe the special headlight adjustment tool is a number 2 Phillips screwdriver ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the special headlight adjustment tool is a number 2 Phillips screwdriver ;)
I didn't feel like screwing around. The socket was easy enough.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I didn't feel like screwing around. The socket was easy enough.
Just an FYI, If you need to adjust the fog lights, you'll need a number 2 Phillips screwdriver since there is no hex head on them.

Reactions: Numbers

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an FYI, If you need to adjust the fog lights, you'll need a number 2 Phillips screwdriver since there is no hex head on them.
Got pictures and procedure on the fog adjustment?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yes. See attached

Attachments

Reactions: Numbers

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. See attached
Thanks for that info. The 4" dip at 25' is extreme, IMHO. Some European charts I've seen suggest 3" based on their height above the ground. By the way, Toyota placing them 25" above the ground was a poor decision as that is the height of fog above the ground. To be the most effective fog lights should be as low as possible on the vehicle, below the fog. At their present height, they should have been driving lights (working with the high beams). If the lights were less than 18" off the ground, the dip would only have to be 1.5" at 25'.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can use a 10mm socket to adjust the fog lights. It is a white plastic piece that takes philips and socket. You can also reach them from above, it's just a tight squeeze.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You can use a 10mm socket to adjust the fog lights. It is a white plastic piece that takes philips and socket. You can also reach them from above, it's just a tight squeeze.
I stand corrected

There it is right there:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts