Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a '96 RAV4 for my wife 6 months ago. It's in beautiful condition and has full sevice history. Just put it in for an MOT today and the mechanic says that the headlights are perfectly set up for driving on the right hand side of the road i.e. Europe. Does anyone know how to remedy this without having to change the headlamp units?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
lights

HAve you look at your head lights there is a way to adjust them look at the back of head lights you will need a screw dsriver to adjust them . I hope this helps

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: lights

franco90 said:
HAve you look at your head lights there is a way to adjust them look at the back of head lights you will need a screw dsriver to adjust them . I hope this helps
I've seen the screw but wasn't sure if the adjustment would be enough to move the headlamps completely form right to left. Does anyone know if it will?

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you have your owner's manual, it will tell you how to adjust your headlights to within specs. It's located in the DIY section of the manual.

For the vertical adjustment (gauge on top of headlight) The bubble should be within 6 marks from the center on both headlights. Here in the US where we drive on the right side of the road, the driver's side (left) is pointed down further than the passenger side.

For the horizontal adjustment, it appears to be on the side of the housing. It says the red mark on the gauge should be within two marks from the center on both headlights.

It also says to have someone sitting in the driver's seat when adjusting them. Hope this helps ya.

BTW, mine's a '96 as well.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your mechanic is correct, and the lights are set up for driving on the right hand side, it is the beam pattern that is causing the problem. You won't be able to adjust this. Get new head light assemblies, or just blind the crap out of oncoming traffic. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts