Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Firstly I should say this is a UK 2013 Car.

I put in some Philips white bulbs a couple months ago and the other day one of them stopped working. I removed the bulb to find this!

I checked the other bulb and it looks to be going the same way.

I put the standard bulbs back in and found the light pattern one the headlight that the bulb popped in has changed dramatically.

I need to double check the bulb is in correctly as I'm surprised a bulb going would do this but does anyone have any ideas to a cause if it isn't the bulb? I emailed the seller of the bulbs and they said the headlight is just misaligned.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
I had this problem when I replaced my bulbs a while back. Had a heck of a time getting the passenger side in properly. The beam was all messed up, so I removed it and re-installed it a couple of times (with the light on so I could see what was happening) and finally got it in right. It's very finicky and tricky to get right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I feel stupid. I checked the bulb again and it seemed fine. Took it out and put it back. Sorted. Must not have been seated correctly.

Glad it was so simple. Now to get back building my 1.5jz engine.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The damage to the bulbs may have been caused by the oils in your skin being left behind on the bulb. You should always avoid touching the glass envelope of these bulbs with your fingers during installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Or the bulb is getting too hot. Try putting it in and seating it properly. It should fully seat and making a slight poping sound when it is fully seated. There should be no wiggle in the buld (side to side) when you wiggle it. I say upgrade to HIDs if you have projector type bulbs.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
And don't waste your money on those blue dyed bulbs.
Their wattage is the same as OEM, so the blue dye reduces the light output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts