Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here,
I wanted to replace my halogen headlight of my Rav4 XLE 2017, bulb said its a 9012, but the shop that selling me the bulb is giving me 9006. According to him its the same bulb. Should I go for it. Thank You.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe the two bulbs have the same/similar base, so the 9006 should fit.
But I do also believe the 9012 bulb is brighter than the 9006. You may want to confirm this though.
Putting the 9006 bulb in the 9012 socket will work. You’d have to trim a 9012 socket to fit a 9006 housing though.
This link is helpful...

http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

·
Registered
449 Posts
Newbie here,
I wanted to replace my halogen headlight of my Rav4 XLE 2017, bulb said its a 9012, but the shop that selling me the bulb is giving me 9006. According to him its the same bulb. Should I go for it. Thank You.
I'd go with 9012. As @J-Roc said it'll fit but there's a difference with the tabs. On a LED headlight, positioning of the LED is critical for the final light pattern. Any play on the tabs will alter this pattern.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The 9006 and 9012 bulbs are somewhat interchangeable. Usually the bases have different key tabs to prevent you from crossing them. However, many of the aftermarket LED bulb makers are simply making universal bases that are keyed to be able to fit either socket. So if they're selling a 9006 bulb that they claim to be interchangeable with a 9012, chances are they've just made it a generic base and it will probably physically fit in the housing just fine.

The far bigger problem has to do with our halogen projector bulb design. The projector is designed to capture light from a 360 degree arc of the full bulb and LED bulbs typically have diodes only on 2 sides - they sort of gives 360 degree coverage, but not always. This can lead to a significant loss of effective performance. So even if a bulb advertises that it's putting out, say, 10,000 lumens, your effective light output from the projector could (and likely will be) worse than with your average halogen bulb.

You definitely need to make sure that the LED bulb you choose is spreading the light out enough to get the proper output. Just as an example, I originally ordered a set of SuperNova V3 bulbs that are generally very high quality and have been shown to work extremely well in a reflector housing. However, when I put them in the RAV4 there were significant dead spots and the overall output was substantially weaker than my regular halogens.

So now I'm currently using a set of Hikari bulbs and the beam pattern is much better. The light is also far whiter than my halogens (as you'd expect), but without a true light meter to take readings I am hesitant to say the output is any better. It's not worse and it's certainly less yellow/orange. But it's definitely hard to tell if I'm actually effectively illuminating more than I was before.

On the flip side, I swapped out my fog light halogens with the Hikari headlight H11s and that produced a *significant* increase in effective light output. Not only is it whiter, it is noticeably brighter. The stock fog lamp bulbs are pretty low wattage (most likely due to the fact that the housing is so small - too much wattage and you'll start melting things) which makes them seem somewhat dim (relatively speaking). If you really want a true increase in effective lighting I'd start with the fog lamps. Plus the fact that they're reflector housings makes them far less problematic when you use an aftermarket LED bulb...

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the reply. So I decided to get 9012 bulbs instead. Its way more whiter and lighting effect compare to 9006 (same brand) Just a curiosity, with the 9012 that i have, does it matter if wire is on the top once installed? this is the only way i can put it inside projector.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
You will definitely want to check the beam pattern in the dark against a flat surface and compare it against the standard halogen pattern. The projector housing is very “picky” and if your LED bulbs are not inserted correctly your beam pattern will be all over the place - mostly blinding other drivers, but not actually lighting up the road in any kind of a useful fashion.

If the beam pattern looks correct with the wire up, then I’d say it’s just fine! If not, then you’ll probably need to find a way to make it fit... But definitely make sure you check it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for all the reply. So I decided to get 9012 bulbs instead. Its way more whiter and lighting effect compare to 9006 (same brand) Just a curiosity, with the 9012 that i have, does it matter if wire is on the top once installed? this is the only way i can put it inside projector.
So what brand did you get? Can you provide a link for others since yours seem to work well in the RAV4?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts