Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife had a minor accident 3 months ago and an independent body shop replaced the front bumper. Yesterday night when we went to the store, I noticed that my headlights were left on. That the time it donned on me that the warning tone or chime was not working anymore.

Has anyone ran into this same issue before? Is this a matter of replacing a fuse? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I don't think there is such a chime. The lights will normally turn off after 30 seconds if you turn off the ignition and then get out the car with the headlights on.

"Automatic light off system" is described on page 166 on my Owner's Manual. If you turn off the ignition and then turn on the lights, the lights will not go off automatically.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,513 Posts
Yes, Carbon is right, the auto-off headlights have been standard on all RAV4's since 2006. There has never been a warning tone for the headlights.

But today, my headlights stayed on! I always drive with the headlights on, and when I got to work, did my usual routine. Normally I park the RAV, shut the driver's door, open the rear door, get my laptop from the rear storage compartment, and hit the lock button on the fob. However, today the rain was pouring down, so I sat in the car for a few minutes listening to the radio hoping it would slack off a bit. But it never did, so I quickly jumped out, shut the door, opened the rear door, grabbed my laptop case, and ran to the front of the building. Then I hit the lock button, and nothing. No lights flashing, no beep, and the lights stayed on. I thought maybe the door was ajar, so I ran back out into the rain and checked the driver's door and rear door and both were secure. Then I noticed the door open light on the dash. And the rear door cargo light was on as well. So I opened the rear door and pressed the switch. The lights went off. Finally, I noticed a little black bumper on the sidewalk. Stuck it into the hole in the door opposite of where the switch is, and everything was fine. I must have knocked it out of the door when removing the laptop case. So I ended up getting soaked anyway. :wall

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the replies. For some reason I thought it had the warning chime. Nice to know there is always forums like this and good people like you folks to ask for guidance. Thanks again and happy motoring to everyone!! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't know if this can be done. Please let me know. Lights on my 2011 base model turn off after 30 secs. but I'd like to know if they're on when I open door, like' left the key in' warning. Anyone know how to do this (wire it through the key warning)? Thanks, Pops

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Just curious, why would you want to know if the lights were on if they're going to turn off in 30 seconds anyway?
I have a feeling with the complicated electronics involved, it would be difficult at best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shut car off at night, or if I've driven before daylight and turned off car but not lights (because I've forgotten), they'll come on in the daylight. I don't want that. Yes, probably will be difficult.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts