Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have seen it , but IIHS just tested a bunch of small SUVs for headlight performance, and just about all of them failed (Most small SUV headlights rate poor).

I'm in the market for a used RAV4 and was wondering what people thought of the headlight performance. Being summer time, the dealerships aren't open late enough for it to get dark, and so that I can't test this on my own.

Can someone take a picture of what the headlight coverage looks like at night? I happen to drive quite a bit at night, so headlight performance is a big deal for me. I wasn't able to find any images online of how well the cover the road.

A related question is what does the interior lighting (instruments, HVAC controls, etc.) look like at night? Again, I haven't found any images of 3rd generation RAV4s that show the interior at night.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
One would have to wait for the IIHS to devise a uniform standard for cameras, exposure times, chip color and light rendition, reproduction and copying, etc. for any such pic to be actually meaningful! :wink Nighttime dash lights on my 4.3 are fine and the light level is adjustable, but the instruments are difficult to see with direct sunlight streaming through the driver side window.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One would have to wait for the IIHS to devise a uniform standard for cameras, exposure times, chip color and light rendition, reproduction and copying, etc. for any such pic to be actually meaningful! :wink Nighttime dash lights on my 4.3 are fine and the light level is adjustable, but the instruments are difficult to see with direct sunlight streaming through the driver side window.
I see your point about comparing one picture to another. When it comes to the IIHS test though, they used calibrated sensors and rated the vehicles on measurable performance criteria.

I did find an interior photo of the speedometer at night, looks like white numbers with orange highlights. I know the LCD screens are orange. I guess I'm wondering if the other symbols for the HVAC controls and such are also orange. I really like my 2002 Solara's green lighting, but I know that's not in fashion any more. Some cars I've looked at (like the Subaru Forester) have a mish-mash of colors all over the place and LOTS or dark red. I'm not a big fan of the red, I know it's better on your eyes at night, but red lights = warnings to me, so I find them distracting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Stock headlight performance is fine...I like many others have performed upgrades to the stock headlights tho...orange is the dominate color for the interior lighting...one nice touch the rav has is orange lights that light up the cup holder area...many of us also replaced the factory the overhead lights with led bulbs...nice bright lighting...

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
I see your point about comparing one picture to another. When it comes to the IIHS test though, they used calibrated sensors and rated the vehicles on measurable performance criteria.

Appropriate point about IIHS camera data. I was suggesting that for others to post pics about lighting the pics wouldn't be meaningful unless the cameras used were all to the same standards - possibly devised by the IIHS since they obviously enjoy establishing criteria! :wink

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I finally got to drive a 2010 V6 Limited tonight. For anyone who might be looking at this thread who doesn't have a Rav4, everything on this model in the interior was a pale orange color except the numbers in the instrument cluster which are white. I didn't find the orange nearly as annoying as I thought I would, though I still prefer green.

Unfortunately, the dealership was closing, so it wasn't dark enough to really assess the headlights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts