Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone post me an idiots guide to replacing the headlamps on my wifes '96 special edition RAV4. Have to replace them 'cos the ones that are fitted are for a left hand drive but the car is a right hand drive. I can't get aftermarket units anywhre, so it is costing me £190 for the two units from the dealer. They wanted another £160 to fit them saying that it was a big job involving taking panels and the bumper (fender) off?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to do the inverse of what you're doing when I moved to France with my English 1998 RAV4 - but unless something radically changed between the '96 and '98 models, swapping them over is a breeze. I seem to recall just removing a couple of screws, and perhaps the little metal strip just under each headlamp. The bumper definitely didn't need to come off.

Anyway, after I'd paid as much as you for a brand new set of headlamps and fitted them, I found out they're not "sided" for LH and RH (clear lenses) - I could just have adjusted the beam direction and saved myself a lot of money!! If anyone needs a pair of RH 98 headlamps they're gathering dust in my garage... ;)

- Paul

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it is different in Europe, but my Rav has a clear beam pattern for left hand drive.

My beam pattern looks like this so as to not blind oncoming traffic:

_____/ _____/

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife's 99 Rav failed MOT on nearside aim going off to offside. Headlight looks original and and although this is our 1st mot it has had others, Checked some forums and it seems others have encounted problems but 3 garages say it is a continental headlight. one did even try to adjust it to no avail, so Paul I know its an old post but if you and your dusty headlights are still out there or if anyone else can help me locate a nearside UK spec headlight at a non toyota extortionate price i'd be very interested.
Also trying to find a lambda sensor. Tried a universal one without any luck. Want to try a direct fit before forking out for a new Cat.

Regards all

Colin

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Err, is there a difference?

All I know is you need a philips screw driver. a 10mm socket set with an 8" extension. It involves a small panel, which is hold by the philips screw.

4 10mm sockets holding the head light down. Two on top and two inside the panel.

Can I ask a dumb question? I thought there's no difference between the LHD and the RHD vehicle head lamps? Is there?

·
Registered
542 Posts
yap, there is..

__/ __/ for those who drive on the right hand side (eg. U.S.A.).

\__ \__ for those who drive on the left hand side (eg. japan & UK).

and they WILL fail your MOT test if you have the wrong headlights. i had to change the headlight on a 500cc yamaha that i imported to the U.K from germany (with BFG plates) back in 1978. that model yamaha wasn't imported into the U.K. at the time so it wasn't easy to find one that fit!!!! 1st hand experience!

yap, just like kidong said, piece of cake to change... unless your swapping from '96 type lights with a single bulb to '98 type lights with two bulbs!! then you'll need a harness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ColinH said:
... if you and your dusty headlights are still out there...
We are indeed still out here! Feel free to PM me if you're still after the headlights.

Regards,

- Paul

P.S. FWIW, I'm still convinced that the headlights are identical for LH and RH drive - it's just a question of adjusting them so the beam angle goes the right way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts