Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a 2017 SE and I'm concerned about the difference between the "Auto" headlight setting and the "Headlight" setting.

I pulled up to a store window today and saw I only had on my running lights. The setting on the stick was "Auto". When I flipped it to the "Headlight" icon, the lights came on.

In both cases the car was in Drive and it was daytime (a bit dark and rainy though).

I always leave the setting on "Auto" as I want to have head and tail lights at all times. Have I been driving at night with only my running lights???

Peter

p.s. the auto high beams work properly.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
If it's in Auto, only the DRLs are on during the day(no tail lights). At night, the headlights and tail lights will be on. If you want head and tail lights on during the day, put it to Headlight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I thought that might be it but I couldn't find a reference in the manual.

"Auto" in my last car meant full-time head and tail lights. I need to remember to turn it on "Headlights" during storms to make sure people see me form the back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I turn my headlights to "on" anytime I drive, to include the fog lights. Day or night, always.
I use "auto" like it was the off setting.
Just in case I ever forget.

When I park, I flick to lights to auto and get out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Auto uses an ambient light sensor on the dash to enable the lights at dusk. The threshold is sufficiently high that you can't rely on the lights being on during a rainy day - you must flick it to ON.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all. My concern is about running into a rain or snow storm with the lights on "Auto". I now will put it in "Headlights" during daytime storms just to be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I turn my headlights to "on" anytime I drive, to include the fog lights. Day or night, always.
I use "auto" like it was the off setting.
Just in case I ever forget.

When I park, I flick to lights to auto and get out.
So you are "that guy" stop driving with fog lights when its not needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts