Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a long thread about sealing the two large openings between the hood and headlights on the 5th Generation RAV4. It has been known for a long time that factory OEM weatherstrips are available to place atop the headlights. Many, myself included, have installed them to keep water, dust and bugs out of the engine compartment. Lately there has been a backlash from some posters who claim these strips would somehow cause over heating and cook the battery and electronic components under the hood- and Toyota left them off intentionally to cool the engine compartment.There has also been a long running debate why the strips were used in some countries but not the Canadian production US cars. Some have said the weather strips were used only in RAVs that had headlight washers or sprayers and thus were not used in US Ravs. Here is a Ukrainian video showing a 5th gen hybrid with the 2.5 Dynamic Force engine. You can see it has the headlight weather strips starting at 4:18. I don't see any obvious headlight washers, brushes or sprayers on it. Maybe I'm wrong IDK. Obviously Toyota did not think these European RAVs need more cooling of the battery and it does get as warm in the Ukraine in the summer as Canada and the Pacific Northwest.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Not to put anything against your post, but these blocks (shown with red arrow) are the headlight washers that pop up. One thing to mention though, this model has the adaptive headlight system so this could also be a reason for the seals.

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw those and wondered about them. They looked like block off plugs. Are they just spray nozzles like for the windshield? How would that clean bugs or mud off without a brush?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lead acid battery is in the back...where the trunk is...

You are correct. I apologize. I was confused by that 12 volt terminal in the fuse box for jump starting shown in a different version of the video you posted at 19 seconds. Still lots of electronics under the hood which are not damaged by overheating despite use of the weatherstrips.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I saw those and wondered about them. They looked like block off plugs. Are they just spray nozzles like for the windshield? How would that clean bugs or mud off without a brush?
I haven't actually seen them in action but I believe they are a relatively high pressure spray nozzle.

Reactions: Tazio Nuvolari

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 Hybrid XSE
107 Posts
I thought nothing of it and what people had been saying until one day i opened my hood and it was dirty underneath after having cleaned it just a few days before. I am unsure what to do really, the gap is very noticeable and come winter we get lots of snow and of course very cold climate...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Read through this long thread about the big gap and order and install the weather strips. The recent part numbers and ordering info are towards the last several pages.https://www.rav4world.com/threads/nobody-noticed-there-are-two-big-gap-between-the-hood-cover-and-headlamp.299185/#post-2703438 Product Font Screenshot Material property Software

·
Registered
442 Posts
While doing a oil change today, I took a look at the gap between headlight & hood. On closer inspection the top of the headlight has a lip so when the hood is closed there is no gap that can let water in from what I observed shinning in a flashlight.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While doing a oil change today, I took a look at the gap between headlight & hood. On closer inspection the top of the headlight has a lip so when the hood is closed there is no gap that can let water in from what I observed shinning in a flashlight.
Put a flash light inside engine compartment and close hood. You'll see.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone who has questions about the large gap and the gasket seals should read this 19 page thread. Nobody noticed there are two Big gap between the hood cover and headlamp?

·
Registered
2020 XLE Hybrid
110 Posts
So what is the 'new info' mentioned in the post title?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So what is the 'new info' mentioned in the post title?
I did not realize those flat plugs shown in photo post#2 above on the Ukrainian model were high pressure washers. So I guess it was not really new info regarding the theory that RAVs with headlight washers got the gap weather strips--sorry for misleading title. Still interesting to see what they look like. I have trouble visualizing them "popping up" and spraying the headlights.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! I see why these absolutely require the weather strips. I still wonder if these sprayers would be effective to get bugs and mud off the lights without brushes like those used in the 1970s and 80s on the large size halogen lights on the European cars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts