Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toyota RAV4 2009, V6 limited. I'm having trouble with my automatic headlights not turning off after 30 seconds after I leave the vehicle.

The problem doesn't occur when lights are in the off position. Only on the auto/DRL position.

I have checked the fuses - none are blown. I have pulled severely relays-those seem to be working correctly.

*This past month I have killed my battery three times, because of this issue.

Are there any hidden relays or fuses that I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but in reading through, those threads don't solve my problem.

I have a 2009 RAV4 limited. It has been equipped with the AUTO ON/OFF headlights using a photosensor on the dash. The auto on/off headlights are NOT turning off after the 30 second timer.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Thanks but in reading through, those threads don't solve my problem.

I have a 2009 RAV4 limited. It has been equipped with the AUTO ON/OFF headlights using a photosensor on the dash. The auto on/off headlights are NOT turning off after the 30 second timer.
Do they turn off when in the ON position? NOT the AUTO position, but the ON position? If the headlights are on when you turn off the key, once all the doors are closed, the headlights should turn off. Did it ever work? I think you can turn this feature on or off with Techstream.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes all the doors are closed and lights stay on. You can even hear the a click after 30 seconds to shut off the lights but they stay on. Some times it work fine some times not. I do not wont to dissable this feature I just would like to fix the problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine (2007 base 2.4L 4wd) did that, it was the door closed switch on the drivers door.
I guess the car could not determine if I had left the vehicle or not. Interior lights would stay on, headlights would stay on, etc.
Interior lights wouldnt come on when entering the Drivers side.

Replaced the switch ($15) and everything went back to normal lights went out when I departed the vehicle.

alternatively you could probably move one of the back door switches to the front.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Yes all the doors are closed and lights stay on. You can even hear the a click after 30 seconds to shut off the lights but they stay on. Some times it work fine some times not. I do not want to disable this feature I just would like to fix the problem.
I understand that, but perhaps the original owner had that feature turned off by the dealer or did it with Techstream. Or, you could have a sticky relay regardless of the click you heard.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The problem doesn't occur when lights are in the off position. Only on the auto/DRL position.
Is that a typo?. Did you mean the lights do turn off as expected if the switch is in the "ON" position?

Thank you. I'm going to try swapping out the switches. I hope this fixes the problem.
I think if a switch was defective, your dome lights would remain on after closing the doors, and you would also have the red "door ajar" warning icon on the dashboard.

Do your lights go off immediately when you press the lock button on the key fob 2 times in quick succession?. Try this with the switch in both the "auto" and "on" positions.

My 2008 did not have an "auto" position, I simply left my switch in the "on" position 7/24 because the LED taillights added extra visibility. The LED's consumed negligible current and the expected lifespan was longer than the RAV4 itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am original owner. This problem started two most ago after 6 years of leaving the in the auto/DRL mode without any problems. Under normal conditions, the headlights go out after the 30 second timer.

One morning I went to start my car, but my battery was dead. Unbeknownst to me, my lights never turned off.

The "on" position is another headlight switch option. I have a Limited.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When mine (2007 base 4WD 2.4L) was doing the same thing as the OP, my door ajar light did not come on, at all regardless of the status of the drivers side door. All other doors gave a door ajar indication. Just the drivers door was being ignored altogether.

I replaced the switch and things returned to normal. It would appear based on my completely non-scientific analysis, that if the switch is bad over "n" iterations the vehicle either ignores the state of the switch or the fail mode is the same as the door closed. Either way, if the vehicle does not detect the entry/exit of the driver, it does not turn on/off interior/exterior lights.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
When mine (2007 base 4WD 2.4L) was doing the same thing as the OP, my door ajar light did not come on,
That reminded me of this old thread. The headlights will not turn off until 30 seconds after a door is opened and then closed. So a defective switch that causes the RAV to think the doors are closed "all the time" will not light up the door ajar light, nor will the RAV know when someone has exited the vehicle.

In this earlier case the OP opened and closed one of the other doors (not the drivers door) and the lights worked normally. This symptom indicated the problem was the drivers door switch.

Also in this previous case, double clicking the lock button on the FOB would not turn off the lights either. The OP in this thread did not perform this test so we don't know if that is a common symptom in both cases or not. I'm also confused as to whether the lights went out automatically in the "ON" position or not ( possible typo in OP not confirmed).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts