Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 4 cyl . Headlights either remain on or will come back on automaticaly when vehicle shut down. Dimmer relay in 1 fuse box and E/G Main in another rattle/buzz until engine started. Have replaced E/G Main. as it was the first to make noise, now dimmer relay buzzing as well,have to remove this one to turn off lights. Switch on steering collum appears to function, havent figured out how to dismantle and inspect yet. Problem is intermittent, when it malfuntions when driving lights go to high beam and can only be dimmed by shutting off using colum switch, leaving only daytime headlights. Lights don't always go out when engine shut down and remain on low power driving mode. If they do go out they may or may not come on within a few seconds. The buzzing of the relays is also intermittent, it almost sounds as if not enough power going thru relays to activate fully.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sounds like a short somewhere to me ... have you traced all the wires? If not in the steering column, most likely under the dash (like near the pedals) or through the firewall.

Good luck ... you need it, unfortunately.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I suspect a short as well. I know I need "luck". I'm hoping several people have had same problem and can direct me to a comon source as modern electronics are a nightmare to sort out, and worse when firing intermittently. In the past few days the weather has warmed from -35c to -5 in the morning and the lights are working properly. Not sure how the temperature could effect a short as the humidity normally goes down with the termperature. It was 35-50% durring the cold snap and is now over 85.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts