Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights had lost intensity. They where very white now they are starting to look opaque. Have anyone had this problem? Anyone knows how to solve it?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you have those blue bolb? well they are painted bolb.... so they will have this problem... if you go HID you won't have problem as such... but it's big investment... and I dunno if it's legal at ur location.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the outer clear plastic is yellowing out, then get some Meguiars Plastic-X and buff the lens a bit. Also avoid any blue bulbs and find some of those +50 bulbs. Osram, Narva, Hella, Phillips etc make them and pretty easy to find.

Just be careful with HID... it's not exactly good. Sticking a rebased HID bulb in a headlight unit (which all retro HID kits are) designed for halogen will just make the glare unbearable for oncoming traffic. If you want to do it right with HID, find a car with HID standard, open it up, then open up your RAV's headlights and fit that in.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If the headlight plastic is yellowing, it is caused by the UV rays of the sun. You can try some Meguiars Plastic-X but since it works only on the surface it will remove oxidation but not the yellowing.

If you put in aftermarket so-called "high performance" or "HID" bulbs (which are not true HID) the initial high intensity color of the bulbs changes as the coloring on the bulb fades.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bulbs do need regular replacement

Most major bulb manufacturers say to replace your bulbs every 2 years or 50,000 miles. That could just be to sell more bulbs, but the glass does cloud and turn darker over time.

Buy a pair of high quality, German made H4 clear bulbs. I highly recommend the Philips Vision Plus or the Osram Silverstars, for about $28 with free shipping from the UK. I am using the Philips Vision Plus, which are very bright and white enough in color. See untouched photos on my website. You can order these bulbs online from:

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/aftrack.asp?ID=32

I got mine in about 6 days on the east coast, and they toss in a free set of Philips BlueVision W5W 168 type marker bulbs with every order.

These are 50% brighter bulbs with the same 60/55W wattage rating. These are clear glass bulbs, not the blue coated ones that look whiter, but are not any brighter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts