Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I unlock the car at night, the headlights don't come on, but when I shut off the car at night, the headlights stay on for 90 seconds. I've seen that many Lexus and BMWs have this feature and I'm wondering if it's possible to code or do something to have the "welcome lights" on the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. It just really irritates me that a ten year old BMW has this feature or the 2019 Lexus ES, which is mechanically very similar to the RAV4, but this 2019 car doesn't.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If your model has the puddle lights, then you can replace the dull bulbs with bright led bulbs and you almost get what you want.

See the pics in this post:

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD
81 Posts
Whenever I unlock the car at night, the headlights don't come on, but when I shut off the car at night, the headlights stay on for 90 seconds. I've seen that many Lexus and BMWs have this feature and I'm wondering if it's possible to code or do something to have the "welcome lights" on the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. It just really irritates me that a ten year old BMW has this feature or the 2019 Lexus ES, which is mechanically very similar to the RAV4, but this 2019 car doesn't.
This would be a useful feature. I use remote start at night if I’m heading to my vehicle and I need some light. Lights come on and stay on after I open the door.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I even tried in Techstream to enable this feature and there is no option. Even when I try to trick Techstream that I'm connecting to a different car like the Highlander, which has the welcome lights, it won't work. Do aftermarket alarms have this ability to retrofit welcome lights or is there a Toyota equivalent of NCS Expert to modify the code of the ECUs?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid
150 Posts
This would be a useful feature. I use remote start at night if I’m heading to my vehicle and I need some light. Lights come on and stay on after I open the door.
I do the same.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do the same.
Well, I tired and failed at yet another approach. I plugged in Techstream and told the computer that the car was a 2019 Lexus ES300h (same hybrid engine as my RAV4) AND THERE’S STILL NO OPTION TO ENABLE WELCOME LIGHTS!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬 I’m so pissed, literally every other Toyota SUV has this feature, the Venza has it, the Highlander has it, even the sedans like the Avalon from 2019 has it. And to add insult to injury, the Japanese 2020 Toyota Yaris has it! I swear, if I have to swap out the body control ECU from a similar car like the ES300h or wait until Toyota enables it in the newer model years of the RAV4, that is a really needlessly excessive process just to enable something I’m 100% certain can be enabled my changing some code in the ECU. UGHHH, this is ridiculous, I even tried leaving the headlights in the parking lights and the ON position and it still won’t give me welcome lights. Oh first world problems at their finest. 😂😂

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This really stings, Honda allows their cars to have this function.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I just had an idea. I confirmed that the Toyota Harrier and the Toyota Venza have welcome lights in these two videos;
&
Since the RAV4 and Venza are mechanically extremely similar, what if I bought the body control ECU or or whatever ECU that controls the headlights and installed it in the RAV4, of course, assuming it fits or maybe find a way to flash the Venza’s software on to the RAV4’s ECU, again, assuming it doesn’t bring the computer.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,247 Posts
I don't think it's the worst thing missing, look at it this way, it's one more thing draining the battery before turning on the car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think it's the worst thing missing, look at it this way, it's one more thing draining the battery before turning on the car.
Well I do have the Hybrid version so I’m not that worried about killing the battery. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,247 Posts
Well I do have the Hybrid version so I’m not that worried about killing the battery. 🤷‍♂️
12V battery in the boot I meant, that little thing powers all the electronics in the car when you smash that start button.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Mine has the walk-up entry light feature where the interior lights and puddle light come on as you approach the vehicle. I really don't see the need to turn on the DRL or headlights. It also has the all four door touch to unlock feature so I rarely have to touch the FOB so I find it's just fine the way it was designed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts